Sign in to follow this  
Lady_Dodecagon

Buster Has Popeye. :(

Thanks for the response on that!  I have just turned his light off and told the hubs to leave it off as long as he is getting medicated.

Oooh! Is tetracycline light reactive? Should I keep the lights off? I don't remember. :(

Thanks!

And this is a big reason why we recommend 100% WCs during treatments. We want to build into the treatment protocols practices that eliminate the possibility of inadvertently leaving in meds that could generate toxic degradation products.

The ammonia/nitrite concern is really more for goldfish. In the case of bettas, the concern of the water being fouled is not really present.

BUT, the concern of meds losing potency, and in the case of the cyclines, breaking down into toxic intermediates, is a real one, regardless of the fish.

All tetracycline family members are light sensitive, although minocycline (Maracyn 2) is much less so. I would recommend that you cover the tank, or take measures to limit light exposure during treatment time with Tetracycline. It is also important to change the water and replace the meds every 2 days.

Kiara, perhaps the logic is now understandable to you.

Good luck, and let us know how things go.

Edited by dnalex

I covered the tank not long after I turned the light out to make sure it's dark in there since the room lights are on (but not all that bright at the moment).  I'll update tomorrow when I peep in on him, do the tetracycline addition, and see if he wants food.  :)

I covered the tank not long after I turned the light out to make sure it's dark in there since the room lights are on (but not all that bright at the moment). I'll update tomorrow when I peep in on him, do the tetracycline addition, and see if he wants food. :)

Perfect! I hope everything will work out well. I think it will.

More recently, there has been a distinction that has been emphasized between unilateral and bilateral popeyes. In the former, this is more likely the result of injury and infection, and something like Tetracycline may do the trick (I tend to prefer some other meds, if it were goldfish). If both eyes are affected, then it really is more like dropsy, in which case on of the meds used in treatment needs to be metronidazole.

Update:

Gave the dose of meds tonight, and offered him food.  He had some interested in it and nibbled a little but didn't eat it.  I left it in just in case, since it's only one piece I don't see any harm in leaving in there until tomorrow and removing it when I do the 25% WC per the tetracycline directions.  Question, do I add meds in tomorrow after the 25% or wait until Saturday night?  The package directions are somewhat vague.

I do have some pics taken with my good camera, they will give you a better look at what is going on with him.

Here is the good eye.

IMG_2891-1.jpg

Checking out the piece of food.  We call it kibble.  :)

IMG_2890-1.jpg

Full on popeye side.

IMG_2889-1.jpg

Swimming downward a bit.

IMG_2888-1.jpg

Facing the camera.

IMG_2887-1.jpg

Thoughts on the pics are welcome.  At least tonight he was active and seemed happy to be out of the dark for a little while as I checked him out and talked to him before medicating the tank and covering him back up.

What does the package read exactly? I know I tend to not understand instructions, but my fiance understands when he reads them.So, maybe if you posted them we would be able to help. :)

...empty one packet directly into aquarium.  Repeat dose after 24 hours.  Wait another 24 hours then change 25% of the aquarium water.  Repeat this treatment for a second time, for a total of 4 doses.  Then make a final 25% water change and add fresh activated carbon or replace the filter cartridge.  Treatment may be repeated, if necessary.

What I get from that, begninning with yesterday as the first step

Yesterday: add dosage of meds

Tonight: add dosage of meds

Tomorrow: 25% water change

Saturday: add dosage of meds

Sunday: add dosage of meds

Monday: 25% water change and replace filter cart

Since I don't have a filter in this tank right now, can I do a 100$ WC Monday and see if I need to repeat?  The 19th was the first day of the ES treatment, so ten days of that will be Thursday the 29th.  I figure another 100% WC on Thursday to get rid of the ES, and I'll put in regular water with light aquarium salt for preventative.

Please correct my train of thought if it has gone off track.  :)

Update:

After a couple days in total darkness for the meds, here is what we currently have:

IMG_2913.jpg

Anyone know what that white stuff might be below his popped eye?  Perhaps infection coming out?

He ate two pieces of his food tonight, and I'm about to add the meds in for the night and see if there is anything else going on tomorrow when I peep in on him.

His head doens't seem to be as swolen, I could see at times where it looked like a few of the scales on his head, particularly the side with the popped eye, were poking out.  Never on his body or any further back than his gills.  I'm glad to see that has gone away.  :)

Edited by Lady_D

Hi, I just wanted to let you know that the image doesn't seem to be working.

The image from tonight's update?  It shows up just fine on my computer but I can post a link if that would help.

It's this picture.

IMG_2913-1.jpg

Still, the discharge is normal. It means that the built up puss and fluid is leaving his eye. The medication is working!

Built up puss and fluid is leaving his eye?  How?  Through a hole in his eye?  :idont

I was wondering the same thing, actually. The eyeball doesn't actually pop, and there is no hole in the eye when there is pop eye....

Am I missing something?

Update:

The white stuff is gone today, and it seems that the eye is significantly less popped and starting to clear up just a tiny bit.  The white stuff didn't look as if it was coming out of the eye itself, but below the eye I guess kinda between the eye and eye socket for lack of a better way to describe it?

Adding the final dose of meds in tonight, then its 24 more hours of darkness until I do a WC tomorrow to get rid of the meds and replace the epsom unti Thursday when he goes salt free.

Good thing he is looking better today! I hope he continues to recover and get better soon.