Can I go without a lid on my tank?

Hello!

I have 3 Orandas and 1 Lionhead in a 60 gallon aquarium I recently upgraded. The tank is cube-shaped. There was an issue with the glass lid when I purchased the tank, and I had to wait a few weeks for a new one to be sent to the store. In the interim, I kind of got used to having the tank with an open top. On either side, there is a glass "shelf" -- presumably for the lid to rest on. I have an HOB that takes up the area in the back, and I have two LED light fixtures going horizontally across the tank. So, there is plenty of coverage over top, just not one solid sheet of glass. 

I've attached a photo of what I mean by the glass "shelves" -- this isn't my tank, but it gives you an idea.

Are fancy goldfish known to jump at all? They've been okay for the past few weeks (knock on wood), and today as I was doing a PWC I realized if I had the lid on there, I'd have to remove it every time in order to vacuum the sand (it's heavy and awkward, and I live by myself, so no one here to help). 

Could I get away with going without the full lid? I could always remove the front "hinge" part of the lid too, and have that cover the front of the tank, so 3 of the sides would have a shelf/lip and be a little more contained?

u2ara3ep_zps0bec9542.jpg

I have had fish jump out in the past. I assume it was bc of bad water quality (bad me) but I know better now.

even when you think everything is fine and looks good it might not be.....so keep testing your water and keep all parameters in check and I think you will be good!

I've never covered a tank. Fancy goldfish are highly unlikely and probably unable to jump even if in toxic water. A cover reduces gas exchange and holds in heat when the house is warm.

I prefer open tops on my fancy tanks for the reasons listed above and during Winter I like to think of the water evaporating at a free humidifier.

I have had 2 Koi and 1 Shubunkin single tail jump.

Edited by DieselPlower

I prefer open tops on my fancy tanks for the reasons listed above and during Winter I like to think of the water evaporating at a free humidifier.

I agree with the humidifier!! After I started getting into fish keeping I was so glad that I wasn't getting shocked. Also, I noticed that because of the warm water of the tanks, my room stayed warmer in the winter.

I've never covered a tank. Fancy goldfish are highly unlikely and probably unable to jump even if in toxic water. A cover reduces gas exchange and holds in heat when the house is warm.

This is good to know!   Just a silly question....if you don't use a lid, where does one put the light?

My 4 foot doesn't currently have lids

I would like to get some for the back half just to help stop the splash from the bubbler.

It has a hood but it still looses about 1.5 gallons a week to evaporation

Which I guess didn't matter too much as you add that back in when you do water changes anyway

Edited by Jellyballoo

This is good to know!   Just a silly question....if you don't use a lid, where does one put the light?

The light clamps to the top of the tank on the side of the trim. This is the light on my 55g.

10933700_763845623702262_192698485965681

I use these on both the 40B and the betta/neon 10G:

(I wish they made one smaller so I could get one for the 5G)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007Y5XYHK/ref=gl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2JM87I0KJTIRB&coliid=I1H1L45K9U7M92&psc=1

Edited by TikiLola

I'd love to have an open top tank, but the amount my pet bunnies shed their fur, it would all end up floating in the water. I have to wipe it off the lid every few days! :o

I'd love to have an open top tank, but the amount my pet bunnies shed their fur, it would all end up floating in the water. I have to wipe it off the lid every few days! :o

If you get a filter with a surface skimmer, it's not an issue. My tanks get cat fur into them, but it's not that big of a deal. I find more of my hair then the cat fur into it!!

I've never heard of a surface skimmer :) I will look into that. The trouble with bunny hair is that it's so light, it just floats up onto anything!

I've never heard of a surface skimmer :) I will look into that. The trouble with bunny hair is that it's so light, it just floats up onto anything!

Ok, so here are two filters (one with a UV sterilizer) that have surface skimmers. :)

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3579+28944&pcatid=28944

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3579+27265&pcatid=27265

• Supporter

my tank is in the kitchen, so it needs a lid as i do much cooking. even with a rangehood, tiiiny droplets of oil get carried around the room and are deposited all over the place. so more for that than anything else, i keep a lid on the tank.

everywhere else, i would still keep a lid in fear of visiting children/guests throwing things in the tank... i am overreacting, i know. but i work so hard to keep them as healthy as i can. lids=security to me.

that's a pretty tank you have, i would probably have a glass lid made for it with bevelled edges, along with 4 transparent rubber stoppers to have it raised off the surface about a few inches. .but that's just me :)

everywhere else, i would still keep a lid in fear of visiting children/guests throwing things in the tank...

I hear ya! We had my BIL's GF staying with us and her 4 and 5 year old daughters dumped buttered bread into the 40gB when it was still an aquarium. They also picked up the light (it can flip up for easy WCs) and dropped it, so both bulbs broke. They were little terrors who never listened to anyone but their mother, but she was in her early 30's and let them do whatever they wanted. Now, we don't have kids or guests coming over to our house, but at least the tanks are high up and out of reach from children and animals. We have one family who comes over with their 1 and 2 year old and they're perfect little angels. They love washing their hands well and then feeding the fish a pinch of pellets. The kids are mesmerized by the reef, but their mom loves the goldfish, hehe!

So, yeah, I definitely support watching the tanks and keeping everything protected when children are around.

everywhere else, i would still keep a lid in fear of visiting children/guests throwing things in the tank...

I hear ya! We had my BIL's GF staying with us and her 4 and 5 year old daughters dumped buttered bread into the 40gB when it was still an aquarium. They also picked up the light (it can flip up for easy WCs) and dropped it, so both bulbs broke. They were little terrors who never listened to anyone but their mother, but she was in her early 30's and let them do whatever they wanted. Now, we don't have kids or guests coming over to our house, but at least the tanks are high up and out of reach from children and animals. We have one family who comes over with their 1 and 2 year old and they're perfect little angels. They love washing their hands well and then feeding the fish a pinch of pellets. The kids are mesmerized by the reef, but their mom loves the goldfish, hehe!

So, yeah, I definitely support watching the tanks and keeping everything protected when children are around.

I'm not real familiar with extended families so I don't even understand how a brother in law could have a girlfriend, but the important take away here is that hopefully someone sabotaged their relationship so that you never have to deal with those kids again lol.

I'm not real familiar with extended families so I don't even understand how a brother in law could have a girlfriend

:rofl3