Sign in to follow this  
TetraLover

Yellow Labidochromis in Tropical Community Tank?

I have a yellow lab fry (under 1/2 inch) that hasn't developed properly, long body, eyes too big, snout too small, underweight. It's derpy. I think I'll name it that too...

Anyways...Should be OK in the tropical tank for now, right? I don't know what to do with it, don't want to kill it and it won't make it with the others. I can't find my breeding net, once I get that I can put Derpy in there.

I don't think any of the trops will eat it, maybe chase it a bit but it's a planted tank, so there's more than enough hiding places. As of right now it was hiding at the surface inside one of the Compactas. Not many hiding places at the bottom, most of the plants are stalks with plumes at the top.

I have a yellow lab fry (under 1/2 inch) that hasn't developed properly, long body, eyes too big, snout too small, underweight. It's derpy. I think I'll name it that too...

Anyways...Should be OK in the tropical tank for now, right? I don't know what to do with it, don't want to kill it and it won't make it with the others. I can't find my breeding net, once I get that I can put Derpy in there.

I don't think any of the trops will eat it, maybe chase it a bit but it's a planted tank, so there's more than enough hiding places. As of right now it was hiding at the surface inside one of the Compactas. Not many hiding places at the bottom, most of the plants are stalks with plumes at the top.

It's not ideal since I am sure you know they require, or at least do their best in water that is much different from tropicals. That being said, a chance to live is better than being eaten.

Oh, definitely.

It's doing really well now, filling out a bit and doing some exploration of the surface of the tank, going from leaf to leaf. I'm able to sneak it veggie flakes so it won't get sick from the trop flakes, altho I've already mixed the trop flakes with the cichlid flakes due to the mixed diets of the fish I have.

Looking a little less derpy now, I'll give it another week or so before moving it back with the others. Some of the bigger ones are moving out soon, I just need to call a few pet stores, so it should have better chances once they're all gone. I might be sending them the male yellows that are causing all this grief and keep the females...LOL. Too bad fish can't be neutered.

It's still living in the trop tank. It's doing so well!! It's been all the way to the bottom plants, it doesn't look like anyone chases it anymore. There hasn't been too much growth, it still looks a little big headed, but it's definitely getting a bit more spunkier.