Green paint for in-tank PVC?

EvilVegan

I read about Krylon all the time, but it is almost always for black paint; I want green (specifically the green of pipes in super mario bros); is that safe?

I could only find an olive shade of green, which isn't ideal.

Are there any other paints that work?

It's said that once the paint has cured, it's tank-safe.  That being said, I recall a forum member who used it to disguise filter intakes.  They reported that even though they followed all of the instructions to the letter, the paint was chipping into the tank within a couple of weeks.

I would say that your mileage may vary, but being a huuuuuge Mario fan, I would love to see your ideas. :)

I actually found Green PVC, but unfortunately they don't make fittings, just the pipes themselves.  It's $15 for 5 feet of the stuff in the size I need.  I might do it with green and white, which is almost good enough.

I'm still going to look for paint though because I want my bubblers to be Mario Pipes too...

For now I'm just doing white for the overflow and I'll plant some tall plants to hid it.

I have read that if you paint pvc with Krylon you need to let it cure for three days before you put in the water.  Then it will stay on.  I think you might like the olive in use.  It blends in well.

Hmm... well the pump is on order for 3 days so that works out really well...  And that's what they had at Walmart.  I can always test it for flaking and bubbling in a bucket.

Edited by EvilVegan

You could scratch up the surface and let algae grow on it. Not as fast as just painting it but I think it would look nice. Or you could scratch it and get some moss to tie on it and let it grow.

Edited by Hidr

I have no help to offer on the subject. I just wanted to say that I hope you find something that works. I really want to see the finished project. Good luck! It sounds fantastic.  :IHNTA:

It takes months to years to get pvc pipe colored naturally.

Here are the Krylon fusion camoflage colors, which I think are ideal for making pipes less obvious. There is a green there, but I think the olive would be excellent. Click "where to buy" to find sources other than Walmart.

• 2 weeks later...

I painted my pvc spray bar with Krylon Fusion. I let it sit in a warm room and dry for 3 or 4 days and it never chipped. You can't go banging it around on stuff and I didn't move it around a lot but it always looked good.

Did you read my post #5 above about the need to cure it for a few days before putting it in a the water for maximum durability? It's worked fine for me without the cure.

I am pretty sure she cured it.

:(

So... I painted mine in a few stages over a few days and let it cure for a week.  (per instructions on the can)

It's been in the tank for about a week and its bubbling up.  They're not all bubbling at the same rate, so I suspect it's some combination of not enough sanding or too many/too few coats or too little cure time.

I had it in a garage with a heater, it was at about 75 degrees with 0 humidity for a week...  

Some of it is in the plumbing, so I can't really replace it easily.  I'm sure the paint is not toxic at this point, but it doesn't look great and I assume that after the bubbling will come cracking.

0IbABOV.jpg

Edited by EvilVegan