Can i fix this rolled tail on my fantail?https://www.youtube.com/

DieselPlower

The following fish is the offspring of Beefcake, and one of my favorites. it is a great looking fish (in my opinion) but one portion of the tail is kind of rolled up. The tail is all there, but i cant even really unroll it too well. i am wondering if it can be cut or something? Video in next post.

Yeah it's being difficult. Standby.

Edited by DieselPlower

Why would you cut a goldfish tail? Seems kinda inhumane to me ... Anyway, if you did it grew back cleanly and without looking deformed, then it would grow back the same if it was a genetic issue. Water quality also effects how the fins develop, along with if the fish is cramped. I have raised bettas, so I know that to have perfect finnage, you need to have immaculate water quality, high quality nutrition, and adequate space.

The best thing you can do is improve the goldfish's current environment and hope that the tail unrolls itself.

Edited by Kiara

• Supporter

cutting the fins of a goldfish and calling it inhumane, is untrue. i have snipped a goldfish fin sample whilst they were simply swimming by... no reaction whatsoever.

in all my experiences of trimming and hacking into fins in relation to surgery, fish fins have a memory, so they will grow after every trim or cut..  except, each time you trim/hack it, it grows back that little more ugly, either it will have folds, knots, no colour (white) or grow that little bit short. so if you're trying to satisfy your eyecandy.. learn to appreciate your fish with it's slight imperfection. you just never know how bad the regrowth will be until it's done. the tail will most likely not unroll itself either with perfect water or regrowth.

most goldfish have imperfections. no matter how perfect the water is. 

I have an oranda that has 2 kinks in the tail fins causing them not to flow as well as they normally would. I had this guy from a baby so he developed this as he grew. At first this really bothered me and i thought about trimming. I am pleased now i never did. I kind of don't really notice it any more.

Think of it as a human having a mole or a birthmark its a imperfection that makes you, you. Nobody is perfect. So i guess its the same for our finned friends.

Its so hard when you go online and see these amazing fish with stunning fins! If i was you i wouldn't do anything. But at the end of the day its your decision. All the best with what ever you decide to do.  :D

Why would you cut a goldfish tail? Seems kinda inhumane to me ... Anyway, if you did it grew back cleanly and without looking deformed, then it would grow back the same if it was a genetic issue. Water quality also effects how the fins develop, along with if the fish is cramped. I have raised bettas, so I know that to have perfect finnage, you need to have immaculate water quality, high quality nutrition, and adequate space.

The best thing you can do is improve the goldfish's current environment and hope that the tail unrolls itself.

I have 2 small fish in a 40 breeder with 400 gph filtration. I feed them only high quality sinking pellets from brands like Hikari and New Life Spectrum. Sometimes they get frozen bbs or algae from my pond plants. Ammonia and nitrite are always 0 and nitrate has never been over 40 in their tank. Now sure what more I can do.

My guy has the same thing going on with his tail. It used to really bug me! :o

IMG_0815.jpg

Yours is gorgeous, funky tail or not. :nana

My guy has the same thing going on with his tail. It used to really bug me! :o

IMG_0815.jpg

Yours is gorgeous, funky tail or not. :nana

Maybe we should start a rolled tail support group thread hahaha

My new little orange oranda, just like how Clementine did, has a kinked tail. Hers is also partially fused at the top and has a little antenna coming off of it. 

These little deformities give the fish character. As long as they don't impede them in any way, I think they're fine. It's not like we're going out to show these fish, right? ;)

• 1 month later...

From what I know about surgeries (and this is on humans, not goldfish, but I'm sure there are similarities in how wounds heal), if there is an incision made, there is going to be some amount of "ugly" scar tissue, depending on the direction and size of the cut, the way it is stitched back together (or in some cases, just glued), the size of the suture used, if the wound is left to heal by first (all nice and tightly stitched), second (left to heal on its own), or third (left open to allow for drainage of bacteria and/or debris, and later closed) intention, and just variations in the patient themselves.  As far as the direction of the cut, If the cut is going with the Langer lines (the direction your collagen fibers grow in, which make lines of tension in your skin), it has a better chance of not being as noticeable, as the tissue can heal better in this way.  If you are going against the lines, or across a bunch of lines (think of it kind of like making an incision like this = versus this #), then the scar tissue will be much more noticeable because you are disrupting more of these fibers.  

All in all, I wouldn't mess with it if it doesn't harm your fish :)

Also, sorry if this sounds "know it all-ish", I'm just trying to cover all the bases I can think of since I just got out of school for this and am trying to exercise my noodle.  Hope it helped, even if you already came to a decision!