Anubis turning yellow?

MoonPi

I think that the first one looks a little funky. Take it out, and give it a feel. Specifically try to give the brownish areas a little squeeze. I think that one might be a goner, but I could be mistaken. It does look like some of the other stems are going to start melting soon.

The second one I'd just pull off the melted stem, and let it grow. If you see it start to deteriorate further, address it then.

Do you have kH/gH/pH readings for this tank? I'm sorry if I missed it before, but it does help to give the big picture. :)

The GH - 150

KH - 120

PH - 7.8

Should I still pull the first one out of the substrate and tie it to a rock? Also, how do I cut the roots? Can I cut them like 2 inches from the rhizome?

Thanks again for helping me. [emoji4]

I think that the first one looks a little funky. Take it out, and give it a feel. Specifically try to give the brownish areas a little squeeze. I think that one might be a goner, but I could be mistaken. It does look like some of the other stems are going to start melting soon.

The second one I'd just pull off the melted stem, and let it grow. If you see it start to deteriorate further, address it then.

Do you have kH/gH/pH readings for this tank? I'm sorry if I missed it before, but it does help to give the big picture. :)

The GH - 150

KH - 120

PH - 7.8

Should I still pull the first one out of the substrate and tie it to a rock? Also, how do I cut the roots? Can I cut them like 2 inches from the rhizome?

Just remove the melted parts.  Anything that doesn't look green is suspect.  Just take a sharp pair of scissors, or a knife, and snip at the rhizome. :)  A clean cut is best.  You don't need to cut the roots; you're looking to make a thin slice from the thick green piece that the roots come off of.  If the inside of the rhizome is brownish, where you snip, that section will not recover, and should be discarded.

At 1st I kept mine in little pots with gravel....I just didn't have much success. Then I was told to tie or glue it to driftwood. Since I started using fishing line to tie it my Anubias it  has gotten huge! I have divided it & now have a big "mother plant" & a second really good sized 2nd plant!  I used fishing line at first & have since cut that off once the plants roots attached to the driftwood. Each plant is very firmly attached! 

The GH - 150

KH - 120

PH - 7.8

Just remove the melted parts. Anything that doesn't look green is suspect. Just take a sharp pair of scissors, or a knife, and snip at the rhizome. :) A clean cut is best. You don't need to cut the roots; you're looking to make a thin slice from the thick green piece that the roots come off of. If the inside of the rhizome is brownish, where you snip, that section will not recover, and should be discarded.

Oh! Ok.

Will do! [emoji4]

At 1st I kept mine in little pots with gravel....I just didn't have much success. Then I was told to tie or glue it to driftwood. Since I started using fishing line to tie it my Anubias it has gotten huge! I have divided it & now have a big "mother plant" & a second really good sized 2nd plant! I used fishing line at first & have since cut that off once the plants roots attached to the driftwood. Each plant is very firmly attached!

Fishing line! I actually have that!

That's awesome you were able to split it! [emoji4]

I actually cut the roots when I attached them to a rock. It made it easier to glue to the rock.. I left about two inches of the roots. You may not need to do this if you tie the plant to a rock. In any case trimming the roots is okay.

At one point the roots grew so much it created a root jungle in my tank. I have since trimmed the roots. I plan to periodically trim the roots.

Regarding its fertilisation, it's a water column feeder. Like weedy stems they will take nutrients from the water even if planted.

So anubias absorbs the fertilizers through its leaves and stems in addition to its roots?

Regarding its fertilisation, it's a water column feeder. Like weedy stems they will take nutrients from the water even if planted.

So anubias absorbs the fertilizers through its leaves and stems in addition to its roots?

Yes. Even heavy root feeders like swords will do well with just water column fertilisation, but having a nutrient rich base will feed plants from below as the water does above. If plants didn't take nutrients through their leaves it wouldn't make much sense to dose fertilisers. Here's a really good post I had bookmarked. Tom Barr references a few studies in it too. :)

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showpost.php?p=1443346&postcount=10

So tonight I did a 60% water change.

I pulled out both plants, cut off all the roots. They were actually rotten!

The rhizome was good. Nice and solid on both plants.

I cut off all the brown spots, and had to remove a few stems with leaves.

I dosed the tank with the Flourish again. They look better now!

Now I hope they will be ok!

f5f16b0e75e2a609af3e8c3ec50c0daa.jpg

dcdae943ce071e5d73939d4eec756f2c.jpg

This sounds like rhizome rot to me.  Just check them daily, and remove anything that looks brown.  All you can do is watch and wait! :hug

She said the rhizome is good on both plants, nice and solid.  Doesn't sound like rhizome rot to me.  :idont