Feed me dance?

troy.telford

Just curious. I know goldfish are surprisingly smart, and can recognize individual caretakers. I wonder if I'm seeing a typical behavior.

In my tank, when it's close to feeding time, the fish will all clump together facing me, and will swim 'into' the glass completely synchronized with each other. It's almost like a group beg for food...

They also play my wife and I against each other: once I've fed them, they'll ignore me, but will do their dance the moment my wife walks by (and vice versa if my wife feeds them)

They're pretty shameless beggars...

ok. this one's going to leave you feeling a little queasy... it's quite the feed me dance i see every 10 minutes.

Better than my fantail's "feed me" dance! She dashes around in loops and then smacks super loud at the top of my tank. Makes me fiance want to fry her up and eat her because her smacking hits these low, disgusting tones that make you want to throw up ... O.o

Just curious. I know goldfish are surprisingly smart, and can recognize individual caretakers. I wonder if I'm seeing a typical behavior.

In my tank, when it's close to feeding time, the fish will all clump together facing me, and will swim 'into' the glass completely synchronized with each other. It's almost like a group beg for food...

They also play my wife and I against each other: once I've fed them, they'll ignore me, but will do their dance the moment my wife walks by (and vice versa if my wife feeds them)

They're pretty shameless beggars...

My horde do exactly the same thing. I swear they practice when nobody's looking. My husband does sometimes feed them now instead of me so they'll do a massive beg as soon as they see him....even though I've just fed them! :rolleyes: . Thankfully my husband now checks with me first before feeding them, but they've managed to sucker him more than once :rofl3

ok. this one's going to leave you feeling a little queasy... it's quite the feed me dance i see every 10 minutes.

Better than my fantail's "feed me" dance! She dashes around in loops and then smacks super loud at the top of my tank. Makes me fiance want to fry her up and eat her because her smacking hits these low, disgusting tones that make you want to throw up ... O.o

My big girl Bubbles likes to smack her lips on the surface and makes this really loud 'smacking/popping' noise. I have them on a fairly set feeding routine and whenever she thinks I'm running too late for her liking she starts with the lip smacking. Such a Madam! On a few occassions when I've overslept and was late feeding them she's actually woken me up with the amount of noise she was making.

I can never understand it when people say "But fish are boring", lots of words come to mind when I think of my fishy horde but 'boring' certainly isn't one of them  :laugh::wub:

Edited by Ruby

Mine dance, or they just hone in on me and stare. You know that sense you have that someone's watching? All four fish will stare at me even if I am turned the other way and it's the creepiest thing to turn around to: 4 pairs of eyes staring directly at you from one space.

• Supporter

I can never understand it when people say "But fish are boring", lots of words come to mind when I think of my fishy horde but 'boring' certainly isn't one of them  :laugh::wub:

shhhhhhhhhhhh! they're referring to tropicals...  :donthit:

:rofl :rofl

Come on though Helen. You know we're all wasting our huge fish tanks 'just for goldfish,' when we should be stocking tropical communes. :doh11:  

...or is it just me that gets that comment, like, all the time :hummm

I can never understand it when people say "But fish are boring", lots of words come to mind when I think of my fishy horde but 'boring' certainly isn't one of them :laugh::wub:

shhhhhhhhhhhh! they're referring to tropicals... :donthit:

Come on though Helen. You know we're all wasting our huge fish tanks 'just for goldfish,' when we should be stocking tropical communes. :doh11:

I get this all the time too! I have a 75 (with goldies) and an 80 (empty at the moment) and everyone says oh don't fill that one with goldfish, they're so ugly/boring/blahblah

I can never understand it when people say "But fish are boring", lots of words come to mind when I think of my fishy horde but 'boring' certainly isn't one of them :laugh::wub:

shhhhhhhhhhhh! they're referring to tropicals... :donthit:

Come on though Helen. You know we're all wasting our huge fish tanks 'just for goldfish,' when we should be stocking tropical communes. :doh11:

I get this all the time too! I have a 75 (with goldies) and an 80 (empty at the moment) and everyone says oh don't fill that one with goldfish, they're so ugly/boring/blahblah

I feel your frustration haha. I haven't even sourced my first fish yet but when anyone sees my tank set up I get this little look when I say it's the future home of a couple of goldfish. It's the same look people give when their elderly relative tells them that their fortune will be left to the cats :lol:

I wish I could experience the "feedme" dance. Googs doesn't even know I'm there most of the time! I don't think he can see at all :(:heart

Helen, that video is hilarious! :rofl

My big girl Bubbles likes to smack her lips on the surface and makes this really loud 'smacking/popping' noise. I have them on a fairly set feeding routine and whenever she thinks I'm running too late for her liking she starts with the lip smacking. Such a Madam! On a few occassions when I've overslept and was late feeding them she's actually woken me up with the amount of noise she was making.

I know how you feel! Machete (the one who wakes me up with the smacking) is bigger than my hand and she smacks constantly. She eats silently, but she purposely smacks to get food and it's so annoying. I wish there was a way to make her stop.

I know how you feel! Machete (the one who wakes me up with the smacking) is bigger than my hand and she smacks constantly. She eats silently, but she purposely smacks to get food and it's so annoying. I wish there was a way to make her stop.

Do you think this one might be like training a dog? don't feed them when they make noise? and only reward quiet behavior? :teehee might be worth a shot

as for my gang, I find my single tails are more aggressive for feeding time they huddle at the top swimming up and down frantically begging for food....if I turn my back for to long one of them will always splash water with his tail to get my attention to come back and feed them.... :happydance

Fish are trainable quite a lot like dogs. :) Unfortunately this also means that their behavior can also be influenced by any form of reward, attention included. I think it would be possible to train away the smacking, but it'd be up to you exactly how you'd like to do that.

My fantail Gwyn would actually stare at me from the moment he saw me.

He'd just sort of "lock consciousness" and then while maintaining eye contact as best he could, gape the surface swimming towards me and then dive down, back up and do it again. Such a water puppy! I never minded the piping, it was cute. It worked. I used to reward him if I had food.

My guppies' "feed me" dance compares nicely though. :rofl

I wish I could experience the "feedme" dance. Googs doesn't even know I'm there most of the time! I don't think he can see at all :(:heart

Helen, that video is hilarious! :rofl

:hug You are such a great fish owner/mom to Googs and I think he knows it.  He's also a beautiful fish :wub: not only on the outside but also from knowing his story.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Troy:  My three fish does the same.  They all line up, right smack in front of the glass and just "dance" back and fourth.  It's like I can't feed them fast enough when it's feeding time.  If I'm just there to look at them I have to apologize to them for I didn't have food for them. hehehe

Thank you so much :hug such a lovely thing to say :)

I don't feel like a good mum though. I laxed on tank maintenance for a good 6 months this year for various reasons. I'm trying to make it up to him. I feel so terrible about it :(

Thank you so much :hug such a lovely thing to say :)

I don't feel like a good mum though. I laxed on tank maintenance for a good 6 months this year for various reasons. I'm trying to make it up to him. I feel so terrible about it :(

Well I'm sure you couldn't help it from your various reasons. You still continued with your maintenance when you could.  Life stuff just happens.  You are devoted to your Googs and it shows through your d&d threads and your fun video's of him.   Let's stay positive together :) for it's a new day, month, year.  That's what I'm thinking about some issue's I've had last year.

:bighug Thank you Cheryl. Here's to new beginnings! :nana

(apologies for accidental change of thread topic :hide: )

I was thinking the same thing from your last remark. (oh, oh :( sorry Helen)

Yes, A New Great Year.  Here's to 2015. :thumb:

(I ran out of my likes earlier. :(  Or, you would have received them.  Back at you>  :bighug )

Edited by 4prettyfish

• Admin

If I can join in, my four fish have the feed me dance down to a fine art, their grand finale is to squirt water out of their mouths and out of the tank. I have been hit more than once!

lol I had one that would go to the top and turn fast enough to splash water out of the tank and all over you :rofl

If I can join in, my four fish have the feed me dance down to a fine art, their grand finale is to squirt water out of their mouths and out of the tank. I have been hit more than once!

My dwarf gourami would spit at me when he wanted food. Machete (my largest fantail) has gotten some squirts of water pretty high up. Thankfully, she's never actually spat water out of the tank. Fish crack me up! :rofl