Oranda can't keep his balance. He gets upside down. Please help.

bagh

Aqua (1 year old) seems he's not being able to keep his balance. It's happening since the day before yesterday. He is eating normally. Please see the video how he tumbles and settles upside down. Does he have eggs?

Tank: Around 423 litres.

Fishies: 2 big goldies, 5 medium, and 4 small fry.

Temperature: 20-22 degrees centigrade.

Ammonia: Undetected.

Nitrate -15 units: Nitrite : Zero.

Water changed: Every 7-8 days, 25%.

Filtration: Bacteria cultured 1200 LPH canister filter.

Water Additives: None.

Aqua's treatment history: None.

Being fed: Shelled, cooked peas and broccoli.

hello Bagho,

if you can cut the broccoli from your feeding routine, matters may improve. broccoli is known to cause floating problems in fish as it creates gas.

good luck

Yay! I knew you had a solution! Thank you so much, Helen. So it's fishfood and peas from now on! :D Shall update.

• Supporter

feed only peas for now, until his floating issue is resolved and then you can slowly introduce other foods. the next few days should be peas only.. this is a trial, and only to eliminate the possibility of constipation. if there is no improvement, please report back :)

feed only peas for now, until his floating issue is resolved and then you can slowly introduce other foods. the next few days should be peas only.. this is a trial, and only to eliminate the possibility of constipation. if there is no improvement, please report back :)

Yes, surely! Thanks a bunch, really! :)

The tank has been affected by fungus. :( Probably the Hydrogen Peroxide, with which I treated the new plants, had already been decomposed by the time I used it. One fish has already died and one old fish is in his deathbed. :(

we treat fungus with salt. have you been salting the tank? or those affected?

Hun, we just subjected all fishies to Neutralised Flavin (marketed as Rid all General Aid) at the concentration of 5ml per 5 litres of water along with 1 teaspoon of salt per five litres. Did I do it right?

Here's a video of the three worst-affected orandas, right now.

your fish have Ich.. badly.. how long have they displayed these symptoms? can you get Metronidazole, aquarium salt and a heater?

Ich?? Oh no! Thanks a bunch for your expert opinion! I thought it was only fungus. Yes,  I have Metronidazole liquid, aquarium salt and heaters. I have set the temps to 25 degrees Celsius. Shall I increase it?

I have these too. I added the red bottle as directed in the tank, which you see in the video. Should I add the Blue bottle to the main tank where the case is less serious for the rest of the fishes?

DSCN0079_zpsa3dafebe.jpg

DSCN0080_zpsca982014.jpg

DSCN0081_zps0eee2802.jpg

Thank you, hun. :heart

Edited by bagho

• Supporter

ok. i am one for traditional treating methods to a problem that has existed for a very long time.

please raise the temp buy 3 degrees C on the tank's heater. maximum temp we would like to reach is 28-30C.

add salt, either aquarium salt (dissolved) or if you have an alternative salt with no additives (there is a link in my sig for Alex's salting instructions). we want to bring the salt to 0.3%.

so, now, add 0.1% salt, in 12 hours, add another 0.1% and repeat 12 hours after that to achieve 0.3%

how frequently can you waterchange? and what volume each time can be changed?

Thanks so much, hun! I've set the water temp to around 29 degrees Celsius. For now, the salt (with no additives or iodine) concentration has been kept at 0.1 % just like you said.

The water can be changed twice a day if you say. Should I add metronidazole now?

Thanks a lot! :)

ok. i am one for traditional treating methods to a problem that has existed for a very long time.

please raise the temp buy 3 degrees C on the tank's heater. maximum temp we would like to reach is 28-30C.

add salt, either aquarium salt (dissolved) or if you have an alternative salt with no additives (there is a link in my sig for Alex's salting instructions). we want to bring the salt to 0.3%.

so, now, add 0.1% salt, in 12 hours, add another 0.1% and repeat 12 hours after that to achieve 0.3%

how frequently can you waterchange? and what volume each time can be changed?

Hun, please see the video update of situations right now. The salt concentration is still at 0.1%. I'm increasing it now and starting metronidazole just like you said. :D

Thank you so much!

• Supporter

how do you compare the situation from since you started salt treatment? is this the fish that was floating on it's side? it will be some time once you get to 0.3% and after that there will be noticeable improvements with the decrease of Ich parasite, provided that you increase the heat to 28-30C. the Ich lifecycle can not tolerate that temperature.

salt - keeps the microscopic wounds sterile

heat - makes it difficult for Ich to mulitply

metronidazole - helps fight already formed infections.

how do you compare the situation from since you started salt treatment? is this the fish that was floating on it's side? it will be some time once you get to 0.3% and after that there will be noticeable improvements with the decrease of Ich parasite, provided that you increase the heat to 28-30C. the Ich lifecycle can not tolerate that temperature.

salt - keeps the microscopic wounds sterile

heat - makes it difficult for Ich to mulitply

metronidazole - helps fight already formed infections.

I was so eagerly waiting for your reply, Helen. Right now, the salt concentration is at 0.2 %. The temps are at 28C; the heater won't go beyond that. This fish started floating once affected by itch. The other, you see, the upside down sometime into the video, has been floating like that for a long time when I started the thread. (Yesterday's video)

Today the first fish you see in the video below, is bottom sitting, sometimes tumbling, but not floating (Yesterday he was floating.) I'm uploading the video of them right now. Do you see any improvement?

Edited by bagho

• Supporter

ok, as i mentioned in my previous post, it will be some time yet before we see any significant improvement. could you add an airstone to the tank? the increased heat will rob them of the oxygen in the water. we usually like to increase the oxygen in the water during most treatment periods.

the only thing i noticed which was different is that one fish is no longer pinned to the top and on it's side. hopefully this is a good sign.

at the end of these 12 hours and before adding salt to 0.3%, please advise the following:

Ammonia

Nitrites

Nitrates 

PH

also, it will be wise to do a 50% waterchange, ensuring that you vacuum the base of the tank really well (even clean it with a cloth since you have a bottom sitter) so that the dead or dormant Ich can be removed from their environment.

ok, as i mentioned in my previous post, it will be some time yet before we see any significant improvement. could you add an airstone to the tank? the increased heat will rob them of the oxygen in the water. we usually like to increase the oxygen in the water during most treatment periods.

the only thing i noticed which was different is that one fish is no longer pinned to the top and on it's side. hopefully this is a good sign.

at the end of these 12 hours and before adding salt to 0.3%, please advise the following:

Ammonia

Nitrites

Nitrates 

PH

also, it will be wise to do a 50% waterchange, ensuring that you vacuum the base of the tank really well (even clean it with a cloth since you have a bottom sitter) so that the dead or dormant Ich can be removed from their environment.

Gee! Thanks so much for the reply! There are two air stones. I just turned them off while taking the the video so that you can get a clearer view. :) I change the water every 20 hours. I keep the fish in tank water in a bucket, while I almost dry clean the tank. Then I increase the salt dosage by 0.1% and release the fish. :)

Thanks so much for such priceless opinions.

Helen,

This is today's condition at the tank. Concentration of salt: 0.3 %, Metronidazole added at the rate of 200 mg per 10 gallons.

One fish seems to have breathing distress. He is trying to breathe from the water surface.