Look what I found at IKEA.

shakaho

It can be a challenge to find a good way to corral floating plants or support terrestrial plants in an aquarium.  I was browsing through IKEA kitchen stuff when I saw a "sink colander."  (The black thing on the left below)

boholmen-colander-black__0314529_PE30288

My eyes popped because it appeared to be a perfect fit for the top of my 40B.   So I bought it.

Yes!  It fits right onto the inner rim of my 40B (from Petco), supported on three sides.  I can put in gravel or growstones and have a perfect environment for nitrate-slurping terrestrial plants.  Or I could just set the colander on the rim and put a handful of duckweed in it.  The fish can't get to it, it won't get into the filter, but it is handy for me to collect anytime I want to give the fish a treat. 

It also fits my sink, so I think I will go get another.

Awesooomeeee!!!

Do you think it'd fit with a lid?

Considering buying many. Two on both sides of the 125 would look so much nicer than the giant fish net i have currently in the tank. :rofl

That's a really nice colander. I like that it's black seeing a lot of tanks have the black rim. It's made out of plastic, right? I bet it's going to look great on your tank Sharon. You should post a photo with it on your tank. I'd love to see it.

That's a really nice colander. I like that it's black seeing a lot of tanks have the black rim. It's made out of plastic, right? I bet it's going to look great on your tank Sharon. You should post a photo with it on your tank. I'd love to see it.

I think it will if I ever got around to setting the tank up again.  I spill too much water to enjoy keeping an aquarium in the house.

I think it will if I ever got around to setting the tank up again.  I spill too much water to enjoy keeping an aquarium in the house.

Darn, I wanted to see it. :)

That's funny because I was thinking you had an indoor tank.  But, now that I think of it I don't think I ever saw one.  haha  I know you have your pond(s)/outside tubs.

Oh I've had as many as four tanks set up inside, but an aquarium is so much work.

You can see the 40B set up inside here.

If I had had that colander, it would sit right under the outflow of the filter.  The outflow pipe would come down to the surface of the planting medium and the water would be distributed across the medium through a "holey pipe."  No splashing noise whatsoever, and the plants would grow like crazy.

• 3 weeks later...