Do I need a filter for QT tank, or will just an airstone be okay?

Hi all!

I have a fish arriving on Thursday via FedEx. I just upgraded my 25 gallon tank to a 60 gallon, where my 3 fish are living. The new fish will be doing QT in the 25 gallon.

On the 60 gallon, I am running a Rena Filstar XP3 canister filter (350 gph), and am also running my Penguin 200 HOB (200gph) for extra filtration, and also to help cycle the canister. I am planning on using it on the tank full time.

The folks shipping me the new fish want me to run the cycled Penguin 200 for QT. They are not too sure of the idea of just using an airstone, which I'd read was perfectly acceptable provided I stick to a diligent water change schedule. 

My questions are:

1. If I do use the Penguin 200, will the 60 gallon have enough filtration with just the canister for a few weeks until QT is over? 

2. Is it okay to just use an airstone?

Thanks!

There are cons to running a cycled filter on a quarantine tank for a new fish.  Cycled filters may contain pathogens that may be a threat to the new fish's immune system which is likely compromised by stress due to transit.  There is also a risk of infecting the filter with pathogens brought in by the new fish.  If you intend to return the filter to the main tank, you risk introducing disease to your current stock.  

An airstone or a small, uncycled filter are fine for a quarantine tank.  You just need to do 100% water changes every day or every other day with Prime double dosed on the days in betweeen.  These large water changes also ensure clean water and reduce the load of pathogens.  Depending on the size of the fish, it may be easier to use a smaller tank like a 10 gallon for quarantine.  

There are cons to running a cycled filter on a quarantine tank for a new fish.  Cycled filters may contain pathogens that may be a threat to the new fish's immune system which is likely compromised by stress due to transit.  There is also a risk of infecting the filter with pathogens brought in by the new fish.  If you intend to return the filter to the main tank, you risk introducing disease to your current stock.  

An airstone or a small, uncycled filter are fine for a quarantine tank.  You just need to do 100% water changes every day or every other day with Prime double dosed on the days in betweeen.  These large water changes also ensure clean water and reduce the load of pathogens.  Depending on the size of the fish, it may be easier to use a smaller tank like a 10 gallon for quarantine.   

I typed a whole response and the forum ate it! Boo!

Anyway, what I said was: thank you for the info. It makes total sense to me why one wouldn't want to run a cycled filter on QT for  the reasons you mentioned.

So basically, an airstone and an uncycled filter would serve the same purpose for QT, correct? We're really just looking to oxygenate the water and add movement, since in both cases I would want to be doing big water changes and am not looking to do a cycle. Does this sound about right? 

The fish isn't huge, but he isn't a little guy either. Bigger than my current 3. A 10g might be a tad small, but someone on another thread mentioned getting two 15g tubs that I can essentially just swap out for one another when I need to do 100% new water. Sounds good to me. I'll see how the 25g goes...it seems like it will be a good size for him, it will basically just come down to how long I feel like dealing with it. Haha. 

I typed a whole response and the forum ate it! Boo!

Anyway, what I said was: thank you for the info. It makes total sense to me why one wouldn't want to run a cycled filter on QT for  the reasons you mentioned.

So basically, an airstone and an uncycled filter would serve the same purpose for QT, correct? We're really just looking to oxygenate the water and add movement, since in both cases I would want to be doing big water changes and am not looking to do a cycle. Does this sound about right? 

The fish isn't huge, but he isn't a little guy either. Bigger than my current 3. A 10g might be a tad small, but someone on another thread mentioned getting two 15g tubs that I can essentially just swap out for one another when I need to do 100% new water. Sounds good to me. I'll see how the 25g goes...it seems like it will be a good size for him, it will basically just come down to how long I feel like dealing with it. Haha. 

Yes, you can use an airstone "or" a small filter for circulation.  The filter can also help with mechanical filtration (removing detritus, etc.) but is not necessary.  

Congratulations on the new arrival!  You could also simply fill your current 25 gallon tank with only 10 gallons of water for easy medicine/salt calculations.  Then you could add more water in 5 gal increments if the fish requires it.  Good luck, and let us know how the new little one does!