I may be worrying for nothing - but!

TonySydney

Hi Everyone, one of my fish has taken to hanging around the corner of the tank. Not for more than 10 minutes at a time but this is unusual behaviour. When not in the corner Bella acts normally. Now of course as I write this she is happily looking for food with the other fish.

I was wondering if this behaviour is a symptom for a problem that I am not aware of? I did a water test and the pH is 7.2, Ammonia is 0, Nitrite is 0 and Nitrate is 10-20ppm. Which all seems normal.

There are no clamped fins and she is eating normally. I include some photos in case you can see something I have missed. This behaviour started about two days ago. Before I did a 50% water change. Am I worrying for nothing - like a said before she is back to foraging like normal now?

5E35A10A-8FF5-4D44-8638-2C949E05E784_zps

52A6D399-01D7-4438-8CF8-2BCD808645BE_zps

Sorry the picture quality isn't great

B1E1BB06-15C9-4EBE-A1F6-D1E6868EA211_zps

Fish can tolerate nitrates up to 30ppm but we recommend being lower/at 20ppm on water change day.

To me, that nitrate level looks about 20-30ppm and that was after a 50% water change, right? So that means your were 40-60ppm. She may be nitrate sensitive. If you say she's acting normal again, I would keep an eye on her and your nitrates.

If you would be able to, I would like for you to answer these questions, please. :)

•how many gallons is the tank?

•how many fish? (I see 4, but I'm not sure if there are more on the other side of the tank :teehee)

•how often do you change your water and how much?

•any water additives? (Baking soda, conditioner, etc)

Would you also be able to test your tap water as well, please?

Hi Mikey, I spoke too soon I had two fish hanging in different corners for a short time. I tested the tank water for Nitrate and it looks to be 5ppm, the tap water was 0ppm. I have not had this problem before. The fish seem fine otherwise, if they spot me entering the room they are in they bunch together waving frantically for food  :lol3 There are four fish in the tank.

E3739D8F-BE7E-4645-9EB4-610CE97D6ABF_zps

I have taken a photo of the test results for you to see. I did clean my filter a day or two before this behaviour started, did I over do it? I used tank water but maybe rinsed the sponges to well? I am using an internal power filter. The flow rate is 600-1000 liters per hour.

The water change I mentioned was about 60% of my 300 liter tank, which if the conversion table on the internet is correct is 79.25 US Gallons. Thank you for taking the time to help me  :)

Edited by TonySydney

nitrates are looking much better! :thumbs:

Would you be able to test the other levels of the tap water as well, please?

You are quite under filtered. For a tank your size, you would want 3,000 liters per hour if using hang on back/internal filters. If using a canister, 2,100 liters per hour. However, more is always allowed as long as the fish aren't being pushed too much. You can never have too much filtration, only too much flow. I don't think you over did your filter cleaning.

When you take a picture of your water test for us, please put something white behind the tubes.  

I don't think you are worrying for nothing, since a change in fish behavior can indicate a problem.  Please copy and fill out this form so we get a full picture.

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Thanks again for your help, the test results are as follows:

* Ammonia Level(Tank) = 0

* Ammonia Level(Tap) = 0 the photo show some green but this was after 15 minutes not five, it was yellow at five minutes

* Nitrite Level(Tank) = 0

* Nitrite Level(Tap) = 0.25 this is usually zero, not sure why this changed

* Nitrate level(Tank) = 5-10

* Nitrate level(Tap) = 0

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) = 7.2

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) = 7.6

I don’t have a test kit for KH, GH or Chloramines

C857501C-5112-4792-953C-60C540DE7C3B_zps

Tap water results, the Nitrite reading was a surprise it is normally zero

D82F7FA0-9BA3-4FCC-B50C-D189562505BE_zps

Tank water results

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

API freshwater master test kit

* Water temperature?

24 degrees Celsius, 75 Fahrenheit

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

300 litres / 79 US gallons, running about 6 months

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

1 x internal power filter 600-1000 litres, not sure of the brand it has a fish logo on it. I thought it was an Aqua One but does not have the right logo for that company

* How often do you change the water and how much?

50% twice a week

How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

60% one day ago

* How many fish in the tank and their size?

4 x goldfish – 65mm long / 2.5 inches

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? 

Seachem Prime Water Conditioner

* What do you feed your fish and how often?

I use a range of different foods: Hikari Lionhead, New Life Spectrum Thera A+A, Hikari Seaweed Extreme, Lettuce & Spinach gel food. I feed about five small meals a day with a different food at each meal

* Any new fish added to the tank? No

* Any medications added to the tank? No

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. None

There is still some hanging around in the corner but it now a different fish - I feel there is something wrong but if I go near the tank they behave normally. I can only use internal power filters in this tank but can put in a second one if you recommend more filtration

Thanks again

Edited by TonySydney

There are two main reasons a fish hangs out at the top of the tank.  Either they are eating the biofilm on top of the water or they are up there for air.  

The former is not a problem, but we should make sure they are getting enough air.  I'm not familiar with your type of filter, but it doesn't look like you get much, if any surface agitation.  I suggest you add some aeration to your tank and see if that helps.  

Even if the water is well aerated,  fish can have trouble getting enough oxygen if they have a gill problem.  Flukes are the most common gill problem and we routinely treat new fish with praziquantel during the quarantine process to kill gill flukes.  Prazi is a very safe medication so it might be worthwhile to treat your tank with it.

Note that I am not saying there is anything wrong with your fish.  What you are seeing is not outside of the range of normal behavior.  I am suggesting some actions you can take that will not be harmful even if the fish are perfectly healthy.

Thanks everyone, I have the return from the filter aimed towards one side of the thank and this makes a small volcano like eruption of water at the surface which creates a continuous column of water moving to the surface so I am not too worried about aeration. It was suggested I need more filtration so I will get another internal filter from the same fish shop today and add it to the tank. I did not think of the fish eating biofilm although it did seem like the fish was doing something there. It is the most still part of the tank would biofilm collect there?

I will do an extra water change for a while just to be safe. When I bought the fish they had already been treated for flukes and so far I have not been able to buy praziquantel

here in Australia. I will see if I can order some online and give them a treatment. Thanks again for your time and help

Update: thank you for the link to the Prazi, as it happens I found an aquarium shop that sold it and bought some today.

I have also bought a second internal power filter it is an Aquatopia 600 like the first one and I have put in half the filter media from the existing filter into the new one. I am no longer worried about aerating the water. The return flow from two filters makes a strong flow of water up to the surface of the tank. This should make for great oxygen exchange.

I did another 50% water change and everything seems fine. Thanks again for stepping up and helping me. I will keep you posted on how things are going  :)

Thank you GoldieNewb, everything seems to be going well, the extra filtration has set up a bit of a current I am monitoring. I try turning the returns from the filters this way and that to reduce turbulence! Fat round bodies and strong currents do not mix well. Buster my most adventurous goldfish has done some spectacular somersaults because he keeps swimming directly towards the return of one of the filters. He may like it because he has done it more than once!  :)

Buster2_zps012c6219.jpg

This is Buster, you are not meant to have favourites but this little guy is very adventurous and always on the go and he is my fave! This is an old photograph, I will get some updated ones of each of my four fish and post them here.

Edited by TonySydney

750D1E6B-85AB-4B48-A6CF-2672D5D286BB_zps

This is Buster now, he has developed into a lovely Butterfly Telescope Eye - his one physical flaw is he has a single anal fin. Not that it matters to me I probably wont get into breeding & you have to admit he is very cute!!  :P

Gorgeous fish! Is everyone acting normal now? My female fantail is hanging at the top of the water as well, but she recently spawned. I'm wondering if she's trying to regain her strength and possibly hide from the males. It makes me think that she's trying to take naps more frequently and whenever she can.

Yes everything is back to normal, the extra filter is making a bit of a current in the tank but I think I have the return pipes pointing in the right directions now. The corner that two of the fish were hanging out is a quiet spot and I notice that the Duckweed if sometimes feed them collects there. I now wonder if that is why they were hanging out there? What ever it was I am glad they all seem back to normal now  :D