Duckweed?!

msmayhem

So I bought some duck weed from the pet store... I'm aware you guys advise to do a bleach dip for snails and such... but it's that okay to do with duck weed? I haven't put it in my tank yet.

I used PP on mine.... Not patient enough for a quarantine, not diligent enough to keep it alive outside of the tank. :rofl

I did a dip for about 4 hours, giving it a stir now and then.

Do you have a net or something to keep your fish from eating it all?

You can buy it off ebay, i think some members have certain sellers they recommend.

Yes they likely would eat it all if you just let it loose. :o there is a floating plant net which i think would be ideal, but I've been using a regular fish net for now. It's not perfect and the mesh is big enough that it gets through sometimes but for the most part it's kept in one place. :)

I bought the biggest one i could find. I think 10x5".. Something like that. And just found a way to keep the net held up.

20150110_190015_HDR.jpg

That is so neat! What a great idea! I'll definitely invest in a net like yours... haha yeah I can't believe I was thinking my under water pigs arnt Ganna eat all of these. Lol! Well I think I'll just quarantine that duck weed for now. I'm trying to avoid online purchasing right now... is there no other way to clean the plant? Could I use prazi? The same stuff I use for new fish?

Prazi treats specific parasites, which would die anyway in QT as plants are not a good host for them. It will not kill any bacteria or disease that might be on the duckweed (errr, i think. Someone correct me here if I'm wrong :rofl).

I'm not sure if there's anything else you could treat with. Maybe someone will have tried bleach with duckweed, and chime in.

And thanks, haha the net was a brilliant idea but actually came from the guy at my lfs. It cost only a few dollars, can't beat that. :nana

Edited by jenzaar

You can try this: http://www.amazon.com/Jungle-NJ021-Clear-Liquid-2-Ounce/dp/B0002APSZK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

It is a diluted form of pp. I've used it to disinfect some salvinia. I have to go find instructions on what I did....

Here is a video from tithra (she is on a sabbatical right now from being a moderator here on Koko's)

In the latter part of the video she talks about using pp to disinfect plants. I used Jungle Clear and got the color similar to the color of the water in the video. I soaked for 30 minutes.

I'll definitely check the hard ware store for the pp. As I said before online shopping is not a portion add of right now haha... long story.

It's looking like a good old fashion QT is in order for now. I've been reading on using a very diluted bleach solution... maybe I'll try on a small portion of my duck weed... it was fairly cheap .50 cents a scoop at my lfs. Haha :) I'm defiantly Ganna do what you did jenzaar thanks for sharing that tip! And its pretty rad it came from a pet store associate. Thanks for the via lisaCgold I love her videos!

Duckweed is very sensitive to bleach.  If you got it dilute enough to not kill the duckweed, it won't kill anything else either.  I recommend the same procedure as Chelsea.  Transfer the duckweed to a bucket of clean water each day for a week. Anything that will infect/infest goldfish really is not interested in sticking to duckweed, so you should be able to dilute it out this way.