Possible hole in the head?

Sorry I have just filled the form in but now it's disappeared so I will recreate from memory!!

AMMONIA: 0

NITRITES: 0

NITRATES: 5

PH: 7.2

TANK: Juwel 350 80 gallon tank with 7 fish been established for over a year

FILTER: Tetratec EX1200

TANK TEMP: 23c

FISH PROBLEMS: She had some what looked like fungus on her head and was lethargic and not eating so I out her in quarantine and gave her interpet meds for internal bacteria. After the dose she perked up and was eating again so I put her back into the main tank. In the photo you can see the fungus with black underneath. Sorry I know the photo is dismal she won't stay still. That white has now cleared up and is gone but there is a black dot remaining. She is back to her usual self eating fine very perky and seems happy but I don't know what it is on her head. If you need more info let me know because I've messed this form up. Many Thanks, alex

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/asbo_alex/imagejpg1-4.jpg

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/116133-help-request-check-list/

Here's the form. :)

A mod should be by shortly. Please do fill it out completely all in one post so it's all together.

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank) 0

* Nitrite Level(Tank) 0

* Nitrate level(Tank) 5

* Ammonia Level(Tap)

* Nitrite Level(Tap)

* Nitrate level(Tap)

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.2

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API masters kit freshwater drops

* Water temperature? 23c

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 80 gallon and been running over a year now

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Tetratec ex1200

* How often do you change the water and how much? Once a week 30%

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 5 days again 30%

* How many fish in the tank and their size? 7 fish ranging in size biggest is 7 and a half inches

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Fluvel water conditioner

* What do you feed your fish and how often? Twice a day usually. They have hikari lionhead and algea wafers everyday and bloodworms and daphnia and peas each once a week

* Any new fish added to the tank? No

* Any medications added to the tank? No

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Tank had salt for a small injury a while ago now

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? The fungus shown on the picture has gone now but the black dot still remains

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? She was lethargic and bottom sitting but isn't doing so now

• Admin

Ok First thing I would like you to do is test your tap water please....

Also please more photos of the fish from different angles and also a full tank shot... :)

• Admin

do you have a qt tank?

Also those ornaments....they hollow? or solid?

One comment for now is you are over stocked :(

I would like you to do a 80% water change..... :)

Yes I have a quarantine tank spare that she can go in. Yeah I know but unfortunately I can't change that at the moment, they have grown very rapidly recently. I will do one pronto. Do you think this looks like hole in the head?

• Admin

Yes I have a quarantine tank spare that she can go in. Yeah I know but unfortunately I can't change that at the moment, they have grown very rapidly recently. I will do one pronto. Do you think this looks like hole in the head?

Its starting to look like a bacterial problem ..... There is two ways of dealing with this... Silver or We can go with more conventional medicines....

First off lets get that tank cleaned.. :) When was the last time the filter was clean?

Oh ok is silver easily accessible I don't think I've ever seen it anywhere? Which conventional meds would you suggest as I may have something appropriate in my collection of fish bits. Oh by the way I'm in England so I don't know if it would be different. The filter hasn't had a clean in 5 days also, that was done with the water change

• Admin

Oh ok is silver easily accessible I don't think I've ever seen it anywhere? Which conventional meds would you suggest as I may have something appropriate in my collection of fish bits. Oh by the way I'm in England so I don't know if it would be different. The filter hasn't had a clean in 5 days also, that was done with the water change

I think you can only get the Silver online...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Natural-Path-Silver-Wings-Colloidal/dp/B000BSZBHS

As for the other meds I will need my mods to help me there :)

Sorry about your fish. Your tank is beautiful, BTW.

You'll get great advice from Koko and the mods. Just to clarify: you indicate that you used interpet meds, can you include a link to the specific meds and indicate how many days you applied the meds?  Thanks!

Thank you :)

I did this treatment, it said to do two doses over 4 days. It did say you could repeat the dose but as she had started eating again I didn't want to add anymore!

https://fishkeeper.co.uk/product/interpet-anti-internal-bacteria-treatment-no-9-100ml

Hopefully the link will work

Interpet Anti Internal Bacteria (Fish Health Treatment Number 9)
Active ingredients: Bronopol (522mg), Formaldehyde (900mg) and Benzalkonium Chloride (250mg)

Information copied from aquariacentral.com; same information found on mosterfishkeepers.com.  I could not find ingredient information on Interpet's web page.  Hope this helps!

Hi koko well I had a big old scrub of everything in the tank and a big water change and then just monitored him and to be honest it just kind of looks like it's beginning to fade away. I don't know if it might have been him healing from something because it's not looking like hole in the head. He's eating well and seems perfectly content so I'm just going to keep an eye on him and hope the fading continues and it goes. If it's not gone in a week though and he looks like he is deteriorating I think I might take him to the vet x

If you can you should still post a photo. That's wonderful that you think he's looking better. Do you have a scale to weigh him? This way you can definitely keep an eye on his weight and monitor your fish.