When to turn out the lights?

I've done a few searches but couldn't find anything on how long I should leave the aquarium lights on? About 10 hours or so a day? Less or more? I just wanted to see what everyone else did, and give the fishes eyes a break from the LEDs glaring down on them. [emoji42]

Unless you're keeping plants, lights are really just for you. 10 hours is fine, but you can go less if you wanted. You might find you end up with more algae outbreaks with more than 6-7 hours.

I have a pretty significantly planted tank, and my lights are on for less than six hours a day.  I usually cap it at five, but if we're having guests, it stays on while they're here. :)  If it's a fish-only tank, then the lights are more for us, than for them.

I keep my lights on my goldfish tank that just has anubias plants for 7 hours a day. The plants do great and the fish get a bit of natural light also first thing in the morning as the sun rises when my blinds are open. (my light timer is set from 1pm to 8pm)

Edited by 4prettyfish

I used to get tons of algae, diatoms in my tank when my lights were on for 10 hours a day. Now I have them on for 7 or 8 max and then I turn them to the moonlight blue which turns off around 11pm and back on around 6am. I love the moonlight option in some fixtures because then you can see them and if they're a calico they really shine under those lights.

I usually turn the lights on when I get up at 5:30am, then open the curtain when the sun rises and turn the lights back off. They get natural light most of the day, and then the lights go back on around sunset for a few hours. Since I am in bed around 9:30, that is when they go off for the night.