Swim Bladder Treatment

newharmony7

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking like you have improving KH/GH which is great for your fish!

Swim bladder is not fixable if it has entirely deflated. Think of it as a balloon that has popped.

Swim bladder can be slightly IMPROVED if it has become damaged or infected. Think of it as a balloon that has naturally deflated, you could theoretically untie the closure and reinflate it - it has not popped.

(Not saying we will reinflate it :teehee , it was just an example that it is not entirely gone!)

If it has not entirely burst, you may see some improvement down the line. At this point I can't say.

Some people have had upside down fish that have managed to at least flip themselves back over, hopefully she manages that on her own. She will be a life-long bottom sitter in the case of permanent damage, but life won't be over by any means. :hug

Edited by Chai

Thanks guys, it looks like she's going to be on the bottom for some time. I've been siphoning off waste and keeping the water as pristine as I can so she doesn't get any infections.

Despite there possibility of scale damage, my husband wants to try making her a little life jacket so she could possibly be upright for the remainder of her time with us. I'll post a video if he can work it out. I know it's not the best for her, but if she can tool around well enough, we could put her in the big tank and she won't be lonely.

Edited by newharmony7

She's still on the bottom of the tank. I'm in search of some duckweed at the moment, but I doubt it will do much. She's been upside down on/on her side on the bottom of the tank for two months. She's having recurring eye problems (they heal up pretty quickly, though). 

I've moved her to a 20g bare bottom in my nice, quiet living room so she can live out the rest of her days in peace. I suppose we could mark this one solved (kinda?) unless anyone has anything else I can try....

Unless you see anything get worse and you feel like having her upside down is something you can come to terms with, I'd just keep the water clean and hope for the best. Watch for any signs of redness anywhere on her that isn't in constant contact with the bottom of the tank, lethargy, lack of eating, in case an infection of some sort pops up its ugly head. I am really hoping that she manages to flip herself over for you. :cry:k055:

Come on, little lady! You've just gotta flop the other way!!

A little salt may not be a bad thing if she's having little scrapes from contact injury.

Unless you see anything get worse and you feel like having her upside down is something you can come to terms with, I'd just keep the water clean and hope for the best. Watch for any signs of redness anywhere on her that isn't in constant contact with the bottom of the tank, lethargy, lack of eating, in case an infection of some sort pops up its ugly head. I am really hoping that she manages to flip herself over for you. :cry:k055:

Come on, little lady! You've just gotta flop the other way!!

A little salt may not be a bad thing if she's having little scrapes from contact injury.

I wish she would flip back over too! I'm keeping close tabs on her water and watching her eyes. One seems to get red for a day or two and then get better. 

When you say salt, do you mean aquarium salt or epsom?