Sign in to follow this  
goldfishfanforever

dwarf puffer not eating

My dwarf puffer isn't exactly eating or when I observe it, it hasn't at least. The little dude goes for the bloodworms until they hit the floor and then leaves them alone apart from having a look at them and he also goes for the snails but is too small for the ones he tries to eat what should I do??

Sorry you are experiencing problems, unfortunately I know nothing about how to advise you......but I just wanted to say that I hope he comes around, starts eating & gets all better!! I think they are amazing little creatures & would like to have one some day! 

Get better lil' fellow! :thumbup2:

Maybe you local fish store has some tiny ramshorn snails.....mine will often give them to me!!  Maybe he wants to "hunt" his food?

Edited by Jeana727

Maybe you local fish store has some tiny ramshorn snails.....mine will often give them to me!!  Maybe he wants to "hunt" his food?

Thanks I will ask them. I have already given him small snails that he should be able to eat but I don't know if he has eaten them or not

Do you think your bloodworms are too big for him to eat? I had that problem with mine because they stopped making the brand of bloodworms he had been eating, and the other brand had huge bloodworms in there! But I found that San Francisco Bay Brand Sally's frozen bloodworms are a good small size (from Petsmart). Or you could try cutting them smaller. Also my little guy would suck the snail out of the shell most of the time. So maybe he's eating the snails, and you're just seeing the shells left behind…?

Besides snails, try live blackworms. They're easy to keep in the refrigerator and usually a larger LFS will have some. If not, they can be ordered online. Dwarf puffers love live food and often only react to frozen food for as long as it's moving in the water.

Alternatively, when I didn't have blackworms I used to thaw some bloodworms, suck them up into a disposable pipette, then stick the end in front of his nose and squeeze a little bit so I could wiggle the end in his face. That usually got an attack and the puffer can yank the rest of the bloodworm right out of the pipette. This works for feeding blackworms as well if you don't want to risk leaving some uneaten in the aquarium.

Besides snails, try live blackworms. They're easy to keep in the refrigerator and usually a larger LFS will have some. If not, they can be ordered online. Dwarf puffers love live food and often only react to frozen food for as long as it's moving in the water.

Alternatively, when I didn't have blackworms I used to thaw some bloodworms, suck them up into a disposable pipette, then stick the end in front of his nose and squeeze a little bit so I could wiggle the end in his face. That usually got an attack and the puffer can yank the rest of the bloodworm right out of the pipette. This works for feeding blackworms as well if you don't want to risk leaving some uneaten in the aquarium.

I tried using a tooth pick and sticking a bloodline to it and putting it in front of him but he doesn't like me :( . Thanks guys for all the ideas :)

You can try crushing the small snails before dropping them into the tank. Sounds gross but its not that bad. My puffers started eating snails once they found the crushed one.

You can try crushing the small snails before dropping them into the tank. Sounds gross but its not that bad. My puffers started eating snails once they found the crushed one.

I will try that thanks everyone for the advice and encouraging words it means a lot

Oh! I love those dwarf puffers :heart I hope every bodies great advise helps :)

How is our lil' Puffer doin'?

How is our lil' Puffer doin'?

He's doing alright and I think he may be eating a little bit but hopefully I can move him to a bigger tank soon to keep warmer easier and keep him happy thanks for all the help I will add pics soon :)

Dwarf Puffer's are so adorable. I'm sorry yours wasn't doing good several days ago. Glad s/he is eating a bit more. I hope your little puffer continues doing/getting better.