Sign in to follow this  
kat

Red Patch On Tail

Hi everyone,

One of my goldie (a white one, so it's easier to see these things) had 2 small red patches on its tail...it looks like someone has spilled some blood on a cloth, and tried wiping it out, did a decent job, but the reddish colour still stays. It's not obvious where the injury is from (if it is one). On its tail if I look really really closely I can see a thin line of red (just one line) from one end to the other along the vein. I always thought it's normal to have a bit of a vein, but this patch of red is becoming suspicious. However, goldie is very active as usual. Amm 0, N02 0, N03 ?, pH 7.2. Fed frozen blood worms recently, do you think it could be related?

Thanks everyone. I think it's better to realise minor differences in our fishies and clarify it (to solve early), than to only notice a problem when it's too big... :)

When there was too much waste in the water due to overcrowding in my tank one of my goldies had the same thing. I noticed a big difference in the size of the red spot on my goldie's tail. After I started doing water changes every three days the spot decreased. Then when I moved them into a bigger tank where I could control the parameters better the spot disappeared and the "vein" is almost non-existent. I hope this helps you.

i would agree with doing more water changes. i think its caused by high ammonia ? do more water chnges and cleanings of your gravel and u should see a diffrance.

Hi Kat, nice picture u got there.. a pict of your own tank??

ok, those are red streaks.. signs of bad water.. not an immediate symptom that takes a while to establish due to either LOW PH or HIGH AMMONIA... this will lead to burns.. yes, burns in water.. cause by acid burns or ammonia burn.. when that happen, you see tail part missing.. as if somefish bit it off.. not so serious cases, you see BLACK patches appearing.. that's sign of recovery.. where water has been adjusted back and fish is recovering from burns..

it got nothing to do with bloodworms.. but by over eating, the fishes will poop alot.. when there is a sudden release of poop (can be poop that are trapped somewhere in holes or corner), a lot of ammonia is given out and your good bacteria colony is not able to handle all at one go, so that moment, ammonia is so high and it is burning your fishes.. by the time you test the water, your bacteria has done their job but too late, your fishes are burnt already..

anyway, if you are feeding good food that facilitate a lot of poop.. this is good and healthy for growth.. fish grow faster this way.. eat a lot of good food and have sufficient exercise (introduce some water current with pumps for fish to swim more) is what I am doing.. but I have to change water very frequently.. everyday to be exact for my case as I am having an overcrowded tank.. :lol: anyway, I am in the process of setting up another tank now..

hope this helps.. whenever you see red streaks, dun panic.. change water.. but if the problems lies with PH.. meaning acidic water.. where high ammonia or nitrIte or nitrAte (can't remember which one) can be a caused or other things such as drift wood, etc.. especially PH plunge.. that's when a sudden release of ammonia or nitrite or nitrat, it leads to chemical reaction in the water and changes water to acid (nirite acid n carbonate acid) and if PH goes below 6, all bacteria will hibernate and that's it.. all fish will die in one night...

always stand by some emergency remedy.. I am using calcium carbonate pills (make sure no other minerals) that is bought from normal pharmacy.. buy those cheap calcium carbonate pills and 1-2 pills does the job.. to maintain, 1 pill whenever you change water on weekly basis...

cheers.

Thanks for the advice everyone, it does make sense...I've been feeding them a bit more than usual (from my past few posts you'll figure that out hehe) and still kept to my weekly cleaning...it does make sense that Ammonia and nitrite are still 0 after the "burn". It could be nitrate though, since I do not have a tester for that. I will start getting it, it will give me an absolute picture of my tank:)

The pic on my avatar is my current (small) 20G tank...the gold goldies are gone tho (sob sob) I loved them so much! I am currently setting up a 2nd hand 60G tank, so intend to put them in a decent space with yes...lots of exercise hehe :)

hmm.. from my weakening memory (agingis a process that makes you unlearn what you have learnt, though wiser but not smarter).. I dun think it is nitrAte that is casuing the PH drop.. the only impact from nitrAte is on mood and appettite where you see fishes in one corner very often, swim very slowly and eat slowly...

feeding more than usual is fine, but you need to keep it clean.. change water as often as I do..

that's a very nice tank you got there.. it catches my attention thus I askes.. dun feel sad, look at it like a master piece.. you were there and you will be somewhere better soon.. :)

Guest MaireadMae

I have what seems like a similar problem with one of my fantail goldfish. He has a red spot just in front of his gill and another streak of red on his fin. Does this sound like the same type of problem as what Kat is dealing with?

I am going to do a water change and try to get the ammonia levels down, as I know this is probably part, if not all of the problem. I treated the tank with Tetracycline to hep my other fantail with his half missing fin.

Any advice would be awesome!

Thanks

Maggie

Hi Maggie hope your fish gets better, regarding the red patch :) Maybe it's the chemicals that also causes the colour...I'm not sure. My goldie still has the red patch even after several water changes...I'm wondering now if it's just something I only noticed after having her for a few months. Oh..since she has a red wen (kind of), perhaps it could just be her colour...? I wish I was more observant earlier to tell the difference. Anyway, will keep on keeping the water clean and let you know if it goes away.

Red patches are caused by PH drop that introduce acidic water.. High ammonia will also cause red patches becuz the conversion process of ammonia to nitrIte introduce acid.. nitrAte on the other hand also causes the red patches..

Introduce some salt into the water somehow stablise the water to withstand acid better.. to control, have bake soda on hand and to maintain, use calcium carbonate...

hope this helps

Guest MaireadMae

Hey, thanks! I think goldie is getting better. Did a water chance and got some Maracyn Two. His red patch has gone away, but the tail looks bad. About to do another water change and do another cycle of the Maracyn.

Thanks again!

Edited by MaireadMae

do have test kits for ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAte (at least these 3) on hand.. usually High ammonia will introduce high nitrIte and nitrAte.. but it is still good to know lest somewhere the cycle is interupted n u can tell where went wrong..

meanwhile, u may want to add some salt to the water.. this helps to lesen stress of the fish, thus aids in healing and also helps to control water condition better..

Guest MaireadMae
meanwhile, u may want to add some salt to the water.. this helps to lesen stress of the fish, thus aids in healing and also helps to control water condition better..

Thanx Fi5hkiller, I added a bit of salt when I did the water change and viola, the ammonia level in the tank is much improved. I'm keeping they little guys on the Maracyn for one more cycle to be sure I get the stuff out, but they are looking much better.

I appreciate everyone's help with getting my babies better! You all are great!

Maggie

Hi MaireadMae, wasn't really following in the thread, what were you using maracyn for? :) With regards to the red patch...my goldie still has it..eventhough ammo & nitrite are 0....really not sure if it's related to that.

Guest MaireadMae
what were you using maracyn for?

My brother picked up the Maracyn for me. It's supposed to help with treating fin and tail rot, Dropsy and popeye. From the stuff he was finding about red patches, they can be a flag for dropsy. So, I did 2 cycles of the Maracyn to help speed up the recovery and everything I did seemed to work out fine, fishy is all better!