Help with fantail again please - a bit stumped

Bpanelli

Update....

Fish is in the QT tank and not taking to it very well.  Much more nervous in there and not eating nearly as well in this tank.  I was only able to get her to eat 5 pellets of MetroMeds today so far - I'm sure not 1% of her body weight.

Also this new cyst has been growing and is "very" red looking compared to how the others have formed.  Just thought I would post and get thoughts on it - though I doubt treatment will change.

Also, I never heard back regarding how may pellets might be close the the 1% weight of this fish.  Again, 3.5 inches body length only - no tail.

Thoughts please.  Want to stay on top of things.

Thanks!

Brett

IMG_4011_zpsa5ccd1c1.jpg

Edited by Bpanelli

Do you think you can try to weigh him?

I would really hate to treat the other non-sick fish, but we may not have a choice. How big is your QT? May we see a video?

I don't have a scale. Might be able to borrow my neighbor's kitchen scale tomorrow.

Also noticing both fish - main tank and QT - are not pooping much. Impacted maybe?? I was going to start a new thread on the ranchu. Nothing too serious I think though.

Ok the fantail is back in the main tank with the ranchu.  I will give some time to adjust and post a video tomorrow for you.

Will also try to get more meds in her tonight if possible.

I'm also going to post a new thread on the ranchu regarding a couple things I'm noticing and hoping to get your feedback.

Thanks again Alex!

Oh OK....

Since putting the fantail in the QT tank and removing the gravel I've noticed that the ranchu is not pooping much and has a white protrusion coming from her rear end.  Not sure what it is or just possibly very constipated, but would love your thoughts.  I've posted pics below with a nice red circle around it. :D

The ranch is eating normally when fed.

Thank you! So sorry we are in such a mess.

IMG_3997_zps04ffbc92.jpg

IMG_4007_zpsf34fdc1a.jpg

IMG_3998_zps38fe6551.jpg

I believe that protrusion is the fish's vent, which, because it's an outie, marks the fish as a female ranchu. :)

Not seeing a fish poop may actually be a good thing, because it may mean that you: 1) are not overfeeding, and 2) your filters are doing their job. It could possibly mean that she is constipated, but you would see this reflected in her activity level and her appetite. How are those things?

Great!  Thanks for that info.

For the Ranchu -- Appetite is good and activity level seems pretty good.  As I've mentioned previously, she has had dropsy in the past and now has trouble with balance.  At rest, she often is tipping nose down near bottom of tank, but also finds rest near top corner as well.  When at the top of the tank, she is more nose up.  When swimming she does alright but not the most elegant. See vid below...

Is there anything to do to help correct the floaty-ness??  Also noticed a couple of small white spots on wen but have seen this before an they typical go away in a day or so.  I'll watch them closely.

Video link here:

http://vid1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag136/ameliafish/IMG_4020_zpsw6nq1by6.mp4

Edited by Bpanelli

Let's feed them both Metro-Meds. Please borrow the kitchen scale. I'm much more comfortable with not having to guess their weights, since I am always wrong guessing. :rofl

White spots on wens, especially during fall and winter, are common. It's only when you see holes or redness that it may become a concern.

Good Morning! Fantail Update...

The most recent cyst opened up over night and a big round white ball of material came out of it.  It has already fallen off - photos below.

The opening from the cyst is much more red than previous cysts have been so wondering if there any local treatment to do on it?  - peroxide swab or whatnot?

Also noticed one of the very first lesions still has not healed up all the way - pic below as well.  It looks like there is a large "bump" under skin right in this area as well.

Any thoughts here as well?

Thanks so much Alex!!

IMG_4033_zps0a058e4e.jpg

IMG_4031_zps211164d8.jpg

IMG_4024_zps905ef067.jpg

IMG_4042_zpsb05c404b.jpg

For now, let us stay the course and see what happens in the next few days on Metro-meds. Have you tried to feed them yet today? I am hoping that now that they are in the main tank, they will be able to eat better.

OK sounds good.

Fed them earlier, they both ate 3 pellets and the Fantail is much happier in the main tank - very noticeable.

Will feed again soon.  For now I'm guessing around 8-10 pellets a day each is a good goal. ?? 

And ordered a kitchen scale for weighing the fish.  Should have tomorrow.

Thank you!

OK sounds good.

Fed them earlier, they both ate 3 pellets and the Fantail is much happier in the main tank - very noticeable.

Will feed again soon.  For now I'm guessing around 8-10 pellets a day each is a good goal. ?? 

And ordered a kitchen scale for weighing the fish.  Should have tomorrow.

Thank you!

I'm actually thinking that you will need at least twice than much, but we shall see. :rofl

For now, let's do 3-4 pellets each per meal, and aiming for 3 meals a day?

Edited by dnalex

What is the length of the ranchu?

With the fantail, I'm guesstimating you'll need to feed closer to 30-40 pellets per day.

Sniped by alex. Making my guesstimate on tithras chart and comparing to my fish . . . . I think the fantail is similar to my Bobbie, maybe not quite as big. :idont

Wow! ok will work on getting them more. At least 12-15 each for now. I'll weigh them both ASAP.

Ranchu is about the same size. 3.5 inches body length. No tail.