Where best to position intake and outflow

Hi, I was gifted a Fluval 406 canister filter for Christmas [emoji106] and I was wondering where best to place the intake and outflow on my 55 gal tank. The tank is barebotton and I placed the intake on one side of the tank and the outflow on the other with the flow pointed towards the middle of the tank. The water is super clean, but there is still small debris at the bottom that doesn't seem to move around. Should I position the intake and outflow differently to get the water on the bottom to churn better?

Thanks for your help

I think this is basically how you have yours but this is how mine is in both my tanks

490d43d198348cef2188e7d1f36ee759.jpg

Intake on the back left and outflow on the opposite wall

Though I have my spraybar turned so the flow goes diagonally down and facing the wall like [emoji660]️

The flow pushes the water down the wall and along the floor of the tank and pushes any debris into the intake

It seems to work well and isn't to much for the fish

I usually position the intake and outflow at opposite ends of the aquarium if I only have the canister running, and on the same short wall of the aquarium if I have a canister and HOB running at the same time.

This is a very interesting question...

Initially I would want to say put the intake and return on opposite sides of the tank to keep water circulating the best.

However then I wonder if it would be better to have them on the same side and send the return across the top of the tank towards the far end.  I say this because by sending the clean water away from the intake, you would be causing a circular flow, and as you push the clean water away on top, dirty water is being drawn in my the intake. If you send the clean water right back in the direction of the filter, you are filtering it over and over. Another thing to consider is that since there is only one filter return, you should use the return to cause surface agitation, which helps with oxygen exchange.  If you use the return to send the water across the top and back towards the filter intake, you are actually causing a dead spot at the bottom.  If you can get the water going in a circular motion, it would help sweep the debris towards the intake.  

Edited by DieselPlower

What you are describing is what pond people call a river flow -- clean water in one side and dirty out the other.  It is by far the best way to set up a small pond.  I use the same basic system in an aquarium (only I use a big pond-type filter rather than a canister).

As the inflow moves across the bottom, it pushes debris toward the outflow.  Yes you can get debris collecting in one area.  I like that.  It means I can quickly and easily siphon out that debris rather than sending it to collect in the filter.  You can also put a small HOB right where the debris collects just for the purpose of collecting debris.

Initially I would want to say put the intake and return on opposite sides of the tank to keep water circulating the best.

However then I wonder if it would be better to have them on the same side and send the return across the top of the tank towards the far end. I say this because by sending the clean water away from the intake, you would be causing a circular flow, and as you push the clean water away on top, dirty water is being drawn in my the intake. If you send the clean water right back in the direction of the filter, you are filtering it over and over. Another thing to consider is that since there is only one filter return, you should use the return to cause surface agitation, which helps with oxygen exchange. If you use the return to send the water across the top and back towards the filter intake, you are actually causing a dead spot at the bottom. If you can get the water going in a circular motion, it would help sweep the debris towards the intake.

I moved the outflow over to the same side of the tank as the intake, with the water shooting across the tank and OMG what a difference. You can see the water actually circulating in the tank beautifully now! Across the top down the side, across the bottom, and up into the intake... Perfect! Thanks again for your suggestion!

However then I wonder if it would be better to have them on the same side and send the return across the top of the tank towards the far end.  I say this because by sending the clean water away from the intake, you would be causing a circular flow, and as you push the clean water away on top, dirty water is being drawn in my the intake. If you send the clean water right back in the direction of the filter, you are filtering it over and over. Another thing to consider is that since there is only one filter return, you should use the return to cause surface agitation, which helps with oxygen exchange.  If you use the return to send the water across the top and back towards the filter intake, you are actually causing a dead spot at the bottom.  If you can get the water going in a circular motion, it would help sweep the debris towards the intake.

Nice idea! Might also try. :) do you have pics for illustration? :)

bb89f176eb70ed66df770b19af6f6175.jpg

de5471f81655315d6e5dba4e7e624dc4.jpg

ow thats nice!! thanks for sharing! i see yo also got aqueons too.. :D

Yep! Im in the process of switching from 3 Aqueon 55/75's to two Fluval 405's and 1 Aqueon 55/75. So right now I have 2 Aqueons and 2 Fluvals going. I started with 1 Fluval and put some already seeded media in it along with new media, and gave it a month to cycle. Then I took half the media out, replaced it with new, and used half cycled and half new in the second Fluval. Then I removed the noisiest of the Aqueons. Soon I will remove another Aqueon and just have the 1 HOB. Not sure how I will position and aim everything.

Jason, you know you could just remove the Aqueon and put the media from the Aqueon in the Fluval. 

I wish it was that easy... All I have in the Aqueons is the stuff that came with it in the box. I ordered some better stuff to stuff one of them with once it seems the Fluvals can do the job on their own.

Jason, you know you could just remove the Aqueon and put the media from the Aqueon in the Fluval. 

I wish it was that easy... All I have in the Aqueons is the stuff that came with it in the box. I ordered some better stuff to stuff one of them with once it seems the Fluvals can do the job on their own.

All you'd have to do is cut out the carbon from the cartridges and put the floss part in the new filters. It is that easy. :)

All you'd have to do is cut out the carbon from the cartridges and put the floss part in the new filters. It is that easy. :)

I guess I'd have to look at it when I get home I thought the filter floss had a frame in it as well. Wouldn't it just be a balled up rag if I removed that? I guess I could bend it in half or something. The fluval trays are divided in half so they aren't real big.

I guess I'd have to look at it when I get home I thought the filter floss had a frame in it as well. Wouldn't it just be a balled up rag if I removed that? I guess I could bend it in half or something. The fluval trays are divided in half so they aren't real big.

The frame cuts easily with scissors. It doesn't ball up in a canister, especially if you stick it underneath another piece of media. I would just put it under the sponge at the bottom, and then everything should stay in place. It doesn't matter if you cut up the floss a bit to make it fit, as long as you do not rinse it or let it dry out. If you take a look at Tithra's YouTube videos on how to replace your media, it's easy to see how she did it. :)

I have a Fluval FX6. I put the intake and output at opposite sides of the tank. I pointed the output toward the top for moving the surface water oxygen exchange.  I think having a "dead" spot is good since that's where the goldfish go to sleep and rest. I have SeaChem's Matrix and Purgin in my filter. It works great. Congrats on your present. I hope this helps.

Glenn