Tank upgrade CHAOS

Some background information: I had a 75 gal aquarium... moved into an apartment that can't handle the 75. So I gifted it to my sister as a wedding gift. For the last 8 months I've survived using a very sturdy sterlite tub for my two small fancy goldfish. . Well the one isn't small any more lol. I never really cycled the tank. .. I used sea chem prime, stability, and committed to water changes every 4 days on the dot. I don't expect the best fish keeper award but my babies healthy!

94fef8d54bd25ece815030be20b09a5f.jpg

Yesterday, I just purchased a 40b! So I decided "fishless cycle" my new tank. I placed my AC110 from the old tank on to the new one and dosed the Ammonia to 4ppm. The fish are still in their old set up with a small sponge filter to get by for now.

Today, I realized I was using my api fresh water test kit all wrong. I never read the instructions and didn't know you had to shake certain bottles for certain times and ect. So now I'm so doubtful of everything I've ever known.

I retested my water correctly today... and the reading was as follows:

Ammonia: 1.0

Nitrite: .25

Nitrate: 10

I know for a fact that I put in 3 1/2 tsp of clear 100% ammonia yesterday. I think the only test I was doing wrong was the nitrate one to be honest.

My questions are... what should I do now? It hasn't been quite 24hrs since I dosed my tank yesterday and I plan to retest here in a few hours.

Is out possible my filter is already cycled? Could I put my fish in sooner than I thought? And lastly, I noticed my filter sponge is clogged up with plant matter... should I clear it or leave it alone until I figure out my cycle conundrum?

Thanks friends!

Do a 100% WC on the 40B, rinse the filter sponge, add Prime and add the fish to the 40 gallon.  Even though you didn't necessarily pay attention to the cycle, the filter is probably cycled depending on how long it's been running . . . .

Test for ammonia and nitrite daily.  If ammonia + nitrite is less than 1, double dose Prime and leave things alone.  If ammonia + nitrite is greater than 1, do a large WC (assuming your tap and tank are within 0.5 of each other.  if not, let us know), adding Prime.

Retest in 24 hours.  :D

You can rinse the sponge in either.  I usually hose mine off with the sprayer by the sink.  You can swish the biomedia in tank water (perhaps the water from the bin the fish are currently in once you move them to the tank).  :D

Not a dumb question.  :D

Your mini-tank was actually quite lovely, and it's awesome how committed you were to keeping their water clean.  Don't forget to update us with pictures of your 40B once it is settled!   :thumb:

I'll up update with a picture in the morning. I try to use natural light as much as possible. And thank you I actually liked their make shift home, but it quickly got to small. Here's some more pictures of it for viewing pleasure!

a3fa94425d9e0f566a1f04ae42220a40.jpg

3596418afcc9e37352b010fe7994ba02.jpg

e0afebf70e8f9bf9fe497296e4d25f73.jpg

I had to build a make shift water fall with the stones cause the water current was to strong for my lil ranchu. It was very fun, but I'm definatly glade I upgraded :)

Sounds to me like the filter is cycled as well. I'd feel ok throwing the fish in. Those rocks will also be covered with the beneficial bacteria so transferring them over would be good too.

What a wonderful gift you gave your sister for her wedding. :)

Congrats on your new 40b. It looks great.

Thank you! Yeah she was very happy! She made quite a nifty turtle habitat with it. I do plan to go back to the 75 gal tank. . As soon as my living situation is more permanent. I move allot due to work. . 40 gals is much easier to move haha