Pineconing? Oranda?

hperry36

Ammonia: 0.25

Nitrite: 0.25 to 0.5

After noticing a rather "earthy" smell from our tap water the past couple of days, thinking I was imagining things, then seeing someone post about it on Facebook, I decided I better test that, too. Tap- Ammonia: 0.25, Nitrite- 2.0!

Since I tested the tank and tap at the same time, I retested the tank, and sure enough 0.25 to 0.5. I decided to test nitrates on both: Both at 5.0.

So, any idea what this might mean and what if anything I may need to change up? Do I still need to double Prime tonight?

Fishy is still doing well.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After noticing a rather "earthy" smell from our tap water the past couple of days, thinking I was imagining things, then seeing someone post about it on Facebook, I decided I better test that, too. Tap- Ammonia: 0.25, Nitrite- 2.0!

Since I tested the tank and tap at the same time, I retested the tank, and sure enough 0.25 to 0.5. I decided to test nitrates on both: Both at 5.0.

So, any idea what this might mean and what if anything I may need to change up? Do I still need to double Prime tonight?

Fishy is still doing well.

:nana It looks like your tank is finally getting to the second stage of cycling.

Yes, still double Prime tonight just in case.

Ok, will do.

What would you suggest for tomorrow? Test all levels in tank and tap again? If the tap is that high on nitrites again...?

I am very excited that there is progress in the cycle process at least!

Ok, will do.

What would you suggest for tomorrow? Test all levels in tank and tap again? If the tap is that high on nitrites again...?

I am very excited that there is progress in the cycle process at least!

I would test the tap before the water change.  If the nitrite is high again, double Prime the tank before you add the tap water.  The Prime and salt should offset any nitrite toxicity.

If this continues, it might be worth contacting your water supplier and inquiring about the smell and the Nitrite?

Alright. Sounds good. Thank you!

I need to remember this next January. It seems to happen every year (drought and heat, algae, cold weather, algae dies and releases something, city increases treatment with ozone). I just never had to test the water before.

Before WC

Ammonia 0.25

Nitrite 0.25 to 0.5 (closer still to 0.25)

The tap Nitrite had gone back down. It was 0.25 again.

100% WC with Prime, salt, and Prazi

Fishy still doing well.

• Supporter

the beginning of pinecone is difficult to notice if a fish has their head tilted slightly upwards or downwards. i know it's bothersome, but, i too noticed scales lifted in the first picture.. so i am requesting more top view photos of your fish in a more streamline position (were the lateral line is as horizontal as possible) or a 30 second video from top view with filters/airstones off and the fish just doing it's own thing, swimming around. i also wondered if the fish in the second picture was the same one (due to a huge colour difference, but then read that you only have the one fish). how much time is there between first pic and other pictures?

She's doing really well now. I am not sure if I was just seeing things originally, if she really was pineconing then, or if it is like someone said and it was just her coloring. Either way, she had a couple of days with no meds and no salt and started doing much better. She has handled the treatment since beautifully. The difference in colors in pictures is due to the first one being taken with a phone, from what I can remember, and the later ones being taken with a DSLR with a decent lens, but only a few hours apart I believe. She is changing color rapidly, but not that quick. :) Thank you very much for the concern and insight. If I notice anything in the future, I will definitely photograph/film it that way instead.

Woops, I have been so tired the past couple of days.

Friday:

Nitrite: 0.25 to 0.5 (so, something is definitely happening there)

100% WC with Prime, salt and Prazi added

Saturday:

Double Primed

Fishy still doing well. She is really starting to change colors now. :)

I did not add the Prazi back in on Friday. Typing on autopilot is a bad thing.

Anyways, Today-Ammonia: 0.5 (so that went up) Nitrite: 0-0.25 (just a slight purple tinge)

I am a day behind. I was so tired last night when the kids finally got to bed, I figured I would mess something up if I tried to do a water change.

So, today

Ammonia: 0.5 again

Nitrite: 0.25

Nitrate for s&g: 5.0

I am about to do the WC with Prime, salt and Prazi

I think this will be the 4th round of Prazi. She is still doing really well. I don't see any spots on her fins at all anymore. Her tail is mostly healed, but has a definite "kink" in it now. I'll start the same schedule as before, just a day delayed, unless there is anything I need to change.

I am a day behind. I was so tired last night when the kids finally got to bed, I figured I would mess something up if I tried to do a water change.

So, today

Ammonia: 0.5 again

Nitrate for s&g: 5.0

I am about to do the WC with Prime, salt and Prazi

I think this will be the 4th round of Prazi. She is still doing really well. I don't see any spots on her fins at all anymore. Her tail is mostly healed, but has a definite "kink" in it now. I'll start the same schedule as before, just a day delayed, unless there is anything I need to change.

What is s&g?

Ummm, it stands for a term I probably shouldn't say (and probably shouldn't have used in the first place) with young eyes on the forum. I'll say poops and laughs.  :oops:

:rofl You should hear my mouth!  I just thought it was some technical abbreviation I didn't know :rofl

Wednesday:

Ammonia: 0.5

Double Primed

Thursday:

Ammonia: 0.5 to 1.0

100% WC with Prime, salt and Prazi

Even with the ammonia jump, she seems to still be doing well.

I thought maybe s & g were nicknames for Jared and me.  I'll be the "g" please.  :tomuch:

You're doing a great job!  I think 4 rounds is sufficient .  . .  I'd do a maintenance round in a few months--prazi only, no salt, and typically just one round is needed.   :D

Have you changed any variables in the tank? Temperature, cleaned filters, amount of food, etc. to explain the rise in ammonia?

The only thing I can think of is I fed peas a couple of times in a row. I hadn't seen any poop in the tank, so I wanted to make sure she wasn't constipated. I looked at the filter pad to see if it was extremely dirty or something, and there was some pea leavings in it (just slight greenish spots). Maybe she missed a couple of pieces which I didn't see? I can't really think of anything else different.

I thought maybe s & g were nicknames for Jared and me.  I'll be the "g" please.  :tomuch:

You're doing a great job!  I think 4 rounds is sufficient .  . .  I'd do a maintenance round in a few months--prazi only, no salt, and typically just one round is needed.   :D

:rofl2

Thanks! And, will do.

Ammonia: 0.5

Nitrite: 0 to 0.25

Double Prime. Almost done.  :happydance

Okay, just make sure that when you clean your filter media you only rinse the biomedia with tankwater.  Tapwater will harm the beneficial bacteria living on the biomedia.

I see that you have the Aqueon Quietflow 10 filter.  Are you using the cartridge that came with it?  Any other media? 

Using the blue Marineland filter pad and a small bag of the Fluval Biomax. I have only swished it around in tank water or rinsed it off in the hose while the tank was draining. I haven't put one of the cartridges in there at all. We had a warm spell here last week, but the indoor temperature didn't change. I have the hood on the tank. I usually leave the little feeding hatch open. The other day when I came home, it was closed. I'm not sure if that would be enough to cause a bump. I am just trying to think of anything different. I'll check the tap water again in a bit to see if it is wonky again.

Using the blue Marineland filter pad and a small bag of the Fluval Biomax. I have only swished it around in tank water or rinsed it off in the hose while the tank was draining. I haven't put one of the cartridges in there at all. We had a warm spell here last week, but the indoor temperature didn't change. I have the hood on the tank. I usually leave the little feeding hatch open. The other day when I came home, it was closed. I'm not sure if that would be enough to cause a bump. I am just trying to think of anything different. I'll check the tap water again in a bit to see if it is wonky again.

:thumb:

Tank:

Ammonia: 0.5 (at least it hasn't gone up)

Tap:

Just tested ammonia, and it was 0.25.

I am about to do a 100% WC to get rid of the meds. I just add Prime back in, right? What should I do with water changes now, or do I need to make a separate post in that section? Thanks for all your help! You have been so great and patient with me through all of this.