Sign in to follow this  
cmclien

My downsized 20gallon long tank

Here are a couple of pics of my calico fantail, Arwin in her new 20g tank.  She will live here alone with some minnows in the future.  When I first put her in this tank it felt so small in comparison to her 40gallon breeder tank but as I look at the photos she seems small in comparison.  I've had her for 2 years.  I would guess her to be 6" long, 3" body and 3" tail.

2015-01-02174838_zps14b12338.jpg

2015-01-02175037_zps168b694d.jpg

Very beautiful.

WOW that tank makes her look huge.

She's a beauty, and the tank looks like a great home for her. :heart

Very lovely!

WOW that tank makes her look huge.

I don't think she'll grow much anymore now that she's two but if she does I can always drag the 40 back out of the closet ;)

Arwin is a beautiful fish, and I love her name. Is her name from The Lord of the rings movie? :)

Arwin is a beautiful fish, and I love her name. Is her name from The Lord of the rings movie? :)

Mainly The Hobbit but also Lord of the Rings :)  My son helped me name her.

She is very pretty! Arwin looks like she is happy in her new tank :D

What a beautiful tank and fish!

Beautiful set up!!! I'm sure she's very happy!! :)

Beautiful. A wonderful example of the 20 gallons per fish rule too.

She's beautiful and I really love your tank. :thumb:

A very nice looking fish and tank. I'm always jealous of people who can make plants look good. Mine look like junk.

I absolutely loooove that fish.  :thud

When I was at the pet store yesterday getting some supplies I went over and looked at what goldfish they had as I always do.  They were such tiny things, only about an inch.  I can see why people buy a few and put them in a small tank.  They have NO idea how big they can grow.  They really should have a sign on every tank with a ruler showing them how big they can possibly get if taken care of correctly.  

I have been so busy with work and family I haven't been on here in awhile.  Did you lose your older fish from SBD?

A very nice looking fish and tank. I'm always jealous of people who can make plants look good. Mine look like junk.

Well....if you look at my older photo in my signature, thats what my plants used to look like.  The leaves turned yellow and I'd cut them off.  Right now they have tons of new growth so they're coming back but since I've changed tank setups I'll see if that continues with the hidden led light.  It says it's 6500k which should be great for any plant really.  Time will tell.

When I was at the pet store yesterday getting some supplies I went over and looked at what goldfish they had as I always do.  They were such tiny things, only about an inch.  I can see why people buy a few and put them in a small tank.  They have NO idea how big they can grow.  They really should have a sign on every tank with a ruler showing them how big they can possibly get if taken care of correctly.  

I have been so busy with work and family I haven't been on here in awhile.  Did you lose your older fish from SBD?

I lost Tsumo this past summer, yes, and Clem back in March. Most of my fancies went to Molly after that and I began hoarding RG Yellow Tamasabas. 

The PetCo near me writes fun things on the goldfish tanks, one of which is "These fish can get as big as a milk jug!" It really makes me smile that they care so much. 

Gorgeous tank!!!!

Your fish looks wonderful in your 20g planted tank that you set up for her.  Why the downsize from a 40b to a 20L though?  Arwin is beautiful and looks like she will be very happy in her new home.

Your fish looks wonderful in your 20g planted tank that you set up for her.  Why the downsize from a 40b to a 20L though?  Arwin is beautiful and looks like she will be very happy in her new home.

I lost Bing recently to swim bladder disorder and Bilbo some months back so Arwin is the last one.  My water comes from a well and is over 40 in nitrates, not to mention the ph comes out of the tap at around 7.0 and rises to about 8.3.  Because of the nitrates I first have to run my water over about two hours through a nitrate filter into a bin.  Because of the ph discrepancy I then have to put an airstone and heater in it for 24 hrs.  After that I can pump it into the tank.  

With all this, the  40 was just way too much time and was such a pain, and I found I was having to charge my nitrate filters every two weeks which is a couple hour process by itself.  When you add all that up it just isn't worth it to me in this house to have such a large tank to take care of.

Also, it breaks my heart to lose them after a few years to swim bladder disorder no matter what I try.  I may have to switch to comets or other single tail varieties and only have one (in this house anyways).  I'm looking at getting a 27g which has a 36" width like my 40b did.  Or who knows, maybe I'll try a tropical tank eventually.  I was so attached to Bing that losing him has been very sad :(

Arwin is beautiful, and your tank looks great :)

I'm so sorry for your recent losses of Bilbo and Bing. :hug It is hard to lose a fish that we get so attached to.  I hope your sadness can turn into a smile while thinking of them when you look back at photo's of them in the near future.  I've lost two fish and understand the pain as so many others here do also.

I appreciate your reply back to my question.  I can see the love you have for your fish for doing all that you did and do for them.  That's a lot of work/time to get everything okay.   I can now understand why the 20g.  It's like what Chelsea had said about the 20g rule which I agree with.  Your fish has a wonderful home to live in.

Tropical tanks look so pretty.  I have been debating for a year now about adding some fish in with my betta tank.  I don't think I will though but I still think about it a lot. 

Tropical tanks look so pretty.  I have been debating for a year now about adding some fish in with my betta tank.  I don't think I will though but I still think about it a lot.

I will start with minnows as my first step as they require the same temperature/environment as goldfish. I read somewhere recently they are also part of the carp family.