Idiot fish owner needs help

TikiLola

Since this seems to be an external issue, furan 2/bifuran would be the best option here.  Let me see what the other mods think . . .

Hi Guys, It's Alida, when I post in this thread, I will post in orange so you can differentiate between Sam(daughter) and I. 

I'll also try and keep my mouth shut. Mostly. ;)

Lisa, where do we get the furan2/bifuran? I found the furan2 on Amazon. Can we get it at Petsmart or Petco? What about the bifuran? I can't seem to find it anywhere?

Furan 2 is made by API.  Do you have any local pet stores around that might carry it?  Or call Petsmart and see if by chance they have it in store . . .

Your KH is 107.4 which is fine.  We shoot for between 100-150 (although higher is ok).  Once he's healed up we can work on raising it a bit more.  Did you also raise it in the main tank?  :idont

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The harder the water the less effective the tetracycline will be. Tetracycline can also put stress on a fish's kidneys; the chemicals it breaks down into inside the fish are nephrotoxic. Erythromycin would be a much better choice especially since you have had no success with tetracycline. You can find it under the brand name Maricyn1. The "fuzzy stuff" is fungus and is a secondary infection and should dissipate along with the infection. Could your fish have gotten himself stuck somewhere to cause these damaged areas? I would also add aquarium salt at the rate of 15 grams per gallon putting a third in every 12 hours. This will enhance the slime coat, make it easier for your fish to respirate and might inhibit the bacteria. Polyphenols are known to destroy the protein coatings of bacteria. You may want to think of getting your fish to eat some fresh mint, spearmint, oregano, or anything in the mint or salvia family that has a pungent aroma. My goldfish tend to like balled up fresh oregano leaves and catnip. You could also try some medicated food. You may also want to try a light coating of triple antibiotic CREAM not ointment, ointment will not stick. If you have extra money you may want to seek out a vet for a amakasin injection. I feel like I'm going to overwhelm you with options. I guess it boils down to a matter of how bad your fish is and if your prefer a western or eastern approach to medicine. Best of luck. Personally I've found dnalex to be most helpful. You may want to seek out his assistance.

Sending good vibes your way,

Glenn

Glenn

ALL! Of our moderators are excellent moderators!!!! I'd encourage you to wait for a mod to give you advice on taking care of your fish whether alternative treatments or antibiotics. I wish you the best of luck Sam! :hug

You rock Lisa :rockon

The harder the water the less effective the tetracycline will be. Tetracycline can also put stress on a fish's kidneys; the chemicals it breaks down into inside the fish are nephrotoxic. Erythromycin would be a much better choice especially since you have had no success with tetracycline. You can find it under the brand name Maricyn1. The "fuzzy stuff" is fungus and is a secondary infection and should dissipate along with the infection. Could your fish have gotten himself stuck somewhere to cause these damaged areas? I would also add aquarium salt at the rate of 15 grams per gallon putting a third in every 12 hours. This will enhance the slime coat, make it easier for your fish to respirate and might inhibit the bacteria. Polyphenols are known to destroy the protein coatings of bacteria. You may want to think of getting your fish to eat some fresh mint, spearmint, oregano, or anything in the mint or salvia family that has a pungent aroma. My goldfish tend to like balled up fresh oregano leaves and catnip. You could also try some medicated food. You may also want to try a light coating of triple antibiotic CREAM not ointment, ointment will not stick. If you have extra money you may want to seek out a vet for a amakasin injection. I feel like I'm going to overwhelm you with options. I guess it boils down to a matter of how bad your fish is and if your prefer a western or eastern approach to medicine. Best of luck. Personally I've found dnalex to be most helpful. You may want to seek out his assistance.

Sending good vibes your way,

Glenn

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

Thank you for your vote of confidence. Since the entire mod team works as a team, anyone of us will be exactly the same as any other. In the future, please don't point out specific people, it puts the person on the spot, and seriously undermines everyone else who have put in valuable volunteer work to help out.

Also, just FYI, D&D threads are strictly moderated, and most members are asked not to participate in the giving of med suggestions unless cleared by the mod team.

Thanks for your understanding and future compliance.

Alex

Ph 7.6; High range 7.8

KH: 1 drop blue!

Gh: 1drop yellow, 3 drop green

For the kH test, if you're using the API drops, you're looking for the amount of drops it takes to turn the water from blue to yellow. So we want the water to stay blue for 8 or more drops, then turn yellow somewhere between the 9th and 11th drop. I hope I'm explaining alright... :wacko:

PS I'm not a moderator, and I hope they will :bat: me if I get anything wrong...I just wanted you to know why baking soda was advised. :D

Sorry, I was so excited to see blue, lol. it take 6 drops to turn yellow. Should I add another teaspoon or so?
i would add 1/4 of a teaspoon. It's the ten gallon, right?

Just did another water change and add 1 tsp and 1/4 tsp. 1 drop blue; 8 drops yellow for Kh!!! getting there!  ph 7.6, highrange is 8.0

Ph 7.6; High range 7.8

KH: 1 drop blue!

Gh: 1drop yellow, 3 drop green

For the kH test, if you're using the API drops, you're looking for the amount of drops it takes to turn the water from blue to yellow. So we want the water to stay blue for 8 or more drops, then turn yellow somewhere between the 9th and 11th drop. I hope I'm explaining alright... :wacko:

PS I'm not a moderator, and I hope they will :bat: me if I get anything wrong...I just wanted you to know why baking soda was advised. :D

Sorry, I was so excited to see blue, lol. it take 6 drops to turn yellow. Should I add another teaspoon or so?

Just did another water change and add 1 tsp and 1/4 tsp. 1 drop blue; 8 drops yellow for Kh!!! getting there! ph 7.6, highrange is 8.0

This is looking much better, although I think we need to work on upping the gH as well. :)

:wacko:

Just did another water change and add 1 tsp and 1/4 tsp. 1 drop blue; 8 drops yellow for Kh!!! getting there! ph 7.6, highrange is 8.0

This is looking much better, although I think we need to work on upping the gH as well. :)

Agreed.   I know some people use Greenleaf's GH booster.   Any other options more readily available?  Found at stores?  :idont

Im going to start using sachem equilibrium. It's i am almost positive exact same instructions to the green leaf.

Edited by Mikey

Im going to start using sachem equilibrium. It's i am almost positive exact same instructions to the green leaf.

That's the one I was thinking of . . . . I knew Seachem made one just couldn't think of the name.  :D

"Hi Glenn,

Thank you for your vote of confidence. Since the entire mod team works as a team, anyone of us will be exactly the same as any other. In the future, please don't point out specific people, it puts the person on the spot, and seriously undermines everyone else who have put in valuable volunteer work to help out.

Also, just FYI, D&D threads are strictly moderated, and most members are asked not to participate in the giving of med suggestions unless cleared by the mod team.

Alex"

Well Alex, now that I understand you better I think your pretty great. I apologize to everyone else, I had no intention to minimize your dedication to the forum and all your hard work. If it counts for anything I have been a licensed Animal Health Technician since 1988, and only comment on things I'm sure about so thankfully I'm pretty sure I didn't do any damage. If I may, I'd like permission to chime in on subjects of alternative treatments. I have a Doctorate in Botany and frequently apply my knowledge in my job at an Emergency Animal Hospital. I can also offer opinions from my boss and friend who is a veterinarian. I have had him treating fish since 2000. Most vets won't even let you make an appointment. Anyway I think you guys on the D&D do the best job of any forum I know. As a matter of fact I may need your assistance if my fish doesn't stop flashing.

Love all you guys!

Glenn

"Hi Glenn,

Alex"

Well Alex, now that I understand you better I think your pretty great. I apologize to everyone else, I had no intention to minimize your dedication to the forum and all your hard work. If it counts for anything I have been a licensed Animal Health Technician since 1988, and only comment on things I'm sure about so thankfully I'm pretty sure I didn't do any damage. If I may, I'd like permission to chime in on subjects of alternative treatments. I have a Doctorate in Botany and frequently apply my knowledge in my job at an Emergency Animal Hospital. I can also offer opinions from my boss and friend who is a veterinarian. I have had him treating fish since 2000. Most vets won't even let you make an appointment. Anyway I think you guys on the D&D do the best job of any forum I know. As a matter of fact I may need your assistance if my fish doesn't stop flashing.

Love all you guys!

Glenn

You are not a mod on this forum though :)

"most members are asked not to participate in the giving of med suggestions unless cleared by the mod team."

I was requesting to be cleared by the mod team. Despite my qualifications I think a Mod needs much more experience on the forum than I have.

Glenn

Since this seems to be an external issue, furan 2/bifuran would be the best option here.  Let me see what the other mods think . . .

Hi Guys, It's Alida, when I post in this thread, I will post in orange so you can differentiate between Sam(daughter) and I. 

I'll also try and keep my mouth shut. Mostly. ;)

Lisa, where do we get the furan2/bifuran? I found the furan2 on Amazon. Can we get it at Petsmart or Petco? What about the bifuran? I can't seem to find it anywhere?

Furan 2 is made by API.  Do you have any local pet stores around that might carry it?  Or call Petsmart and see if by chance they have it in store . . .

Your KH is 107.4 which is fine.  We shoot for between 100-150 (although higher is ok).  Once he's healed up we can work on raising it a bit more.  Did you also raise it in the main tank?  :idont

Just did  1/3 water change on the main tank i put a tsp in there as well. 

Ammonia: .25

Nitrites: 0

Nitrates: 40

Ph: 7.2

Kh: 1 blue; 3 yellow

Gh: 1 yellow, 5 green

So I would raise it another 90-100ppm which would be 2.5 teaspoons :)

Make sure you are mixing it in a cup of tank water to dissolve it before adding it if you are not already doing so :)

So I would raise it another 90-100ppm which would be 2.5 teaspoons :)

Make sure you are mixing it in a cup of tank water to dissolve it before adding it if you are not already doing so :)

Raise what another 90-100 ppm? The kH? Let's hold off. 8 drops is fine for now. I would like the Gh at 8 drops as well. Once the fish are fine, we will work on possibly going higher.

As for making meds recommendations, don't ask for clearance. The rule of thumb is don't do it, unless you've been asked to help out. If you think you have a really good idea, please use the report button and add your input there. The mod team will get back to you on it. Thanks. :)

I recommend Green Leaf Aquarium GH booster because I found it to be significantly cheaper than the SeaChem option. I used Equilibrium for a little while, and I found GLA's GH booster appears to work just as well.

I can order one or both off amazon, which would be better?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007R5M5CC/ref=s9_simh_gw_p199_d0_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=10T3HCSSKQAVR30C90YX&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=1970559082&pf_rd_i=desktop

Finally found this one, I couldn't find it last night. :/

http://www.amazon.com/Hikari-Usa-AHK73500-Aquarium-3-4-Ounce/dp/B0012Q12JY/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1420180805&sr=1-1&keywords=bifuran

~Alida~

Ooops! one clicked the Bifuran by accident! Sam, you'll have it by Saturday. :blink: 

Lisa, should I order the other as well? :whistle 

Edited by TikiLola

I think we have the furan 2 at the store, Alida. I can check while in there tomorrow. I'm almost positive I've seen it.

Edited by Mikey