Disinfecting Plants on Driftwood

FishyMandy

• Supporter

Hi, I've bought a couple of pieces of driftwood with anubias attached recently, and I didn't do anything to it since I highly trusted the source, but I've seen another couple of pieces I want to buy, but I've had snails transferred to my tank from plants from this store before, Also since this is a chain store I worry about ich which a fish I bought from there has had before too. (I do like this store though, they have always given me great service and I've bought plants/fish from them many other times without problems but better to be safe)

I was wondering what is the best way to disinfect the plants/driftwood? Normally I would do a bleach dip on plants but worried that the bleach would soak into the driftwood and don't think the anubias would like boiling?

Edited by FishyMandy

This is what I'd do, Mandy:

1. Remove the anubias and treat them separately. The roots are expendable, but the rhizome is not. If you don't think you can remove it without damaging the rhizome I would leave it alone.

or

2. Place in quarantine for a few weeks.

Edited by dan in aus

I bleached my driftwood for a few minutes, rinsed it well, then soaked it in a bucket for a few weeks.  Mine didn't have any plants on it yet but I think you could still do it.  When you soak it, use tank water or add some ferts and make sure it gets some sun/light.

I'm pretty sure in Helen's bleaching video that her plants are on driftwood . . . .  :D