Sign in to follow this  
preternaturalism

Tosakins are go!

They're acclimating to the "pond" water right now, but here's a shot of all of them together.

imagejpg1_zps80824d65.jpg

These four have single anal fins. I really like the body shape of the one on the bottom left though. Supposedly this isn't a bad thing as long as you don't breed two together.

imagejpg2_zpsd99338c4.jpg

Edited by preternaturalism

Very pretty fish.  I'm looking forward to seeing them develop.

:heart I am excited to see their color development! :)

Beautiful!!!!

:thumbs:

:thumbup2:  Great looking bunch of fish!

Super, what fun to watch these fish develop! Congrats!

Daphnia came! I've always loved what they look like close up.

Daphnia-12-31-14-1200_zpsfdf87f01.png

I'm drip acclimating them to my very, very hard water. Hopefully I can get them to thrive. If not, I saved some seed stock in the original water so I can have a backup. I'll keep a few jars with adjusted RO water until I know I have a good culture.

These guys are going into one half of the 60-gallon "pond." It's made up of two storage bins connected at the back with a siphon and a canister filter pumping from one to the other so there's a continuous circular flow between them. The goldfish might need the water but they don't need the physical space so I have them all in one side and I'm hoping I can keep a heavy stock of plants and daphnia in the other.

I love tosakins!! They look like little beauties, can't wait to see them grow up :) Did you breed them yourself?

What a bunch of adorable fish. Congratulations on them. :)

Good luck on your Daphnia's also.

How is everyone?

They're doing awesome! Bad news is that giving them a large area to swim at this stage really does affect tail development; most of the ones I put into the main container have their tail edges starting to angle back instead of come forward. The four I have floating in bowls are still perfect. I'm going to leave them as they are to watch further development instead of trying to correct it, though.

They're getting a little more color, too. Pics when I get back from the store.

All daphnia in the tank died. :( Guess I need a little aquarium with carefully managed water for the rest.

How is everyone?

They're doing awesome! Bad news is that giving them a large area to swim at this stage really does affect tail development; most of the ones I put into the main container have their tail edges starting to angle back instead of come forward. The four I have floating in bowls are still perfect. I'm going to leave them as they are to watch further development instead of trying to correct it, though.

They're getting a little more color, too. Pics when I get back from the store.

All daphnia in the tank died. :( Guess I need a little aquarium with carefully managed water for the rest.

I'd see if any more look perfect enough to want to develop their tails and move them to bowls. I think either way you'll have some top-quality fish. If you wait too long, their tails may harden enough that it isn't fixable.

Is there a reason you're specifically feeding daphnia? (Pardon if you already said.) 

I may move one/two more so it's almost half and half. I already separated the fish I thought were the best-looking. I want to leave some in the bigger tank to see what the differences are in fin length, body development, and such. They'll still be good for breeding if they have nice conformation otherwise, because their tails would have stayed close to 180 "normally." It's going to be more about whether any of them grow into a really wide center lobe now as that would have determined the tail flip.

I'm feeding daphnia because I think most fish like chasing live food occasionally. Whenever I give my guppies brine shrimp nauplii the males color even brighter than normal and swim with their fins fully extended for days.

Ah. :) My fish are so particular about how they like their live foods I just stick to frozen and let them choose their own bugs in the summer outdoors. You're feeding other things, right? I've seen so many different kinds of fish feed live and then not want to eat anything else. 

Yeah, they still eat pellets too. They'll eat about anything I give them, I think.

All of the bowl-dwellers together for cleaning. I like how algae is starting to coat the inside already.

imagejpg1_zpsbfb35ea7.jpg

And two of the pond-dwellers with a mess of guppies.

imagejpg2_zps6a4891fe.jpg

They were really skittish for a while, but they're starting to learn I'm the Food God and not some kind of predator. The guppies, as always, will swim right up top by me no matter how much room they have to hide. :rofl

I need to get a polarizing filter and blot out those reflections.

Hopefully it will rub off on the goldfish. :)