Puff... again

Mikey

Mikey I would like to do two things with her.... Once 100% water changes every day for a week with just .1% salt in there... Her tail is really bothering me hun... so shredded... Her eye looks alot better and Im wondering if she is missing her friends... Can you move that QT tank closer to her main tank so she can see her budds:)

she can't be in salt :(. She is allergic to it.

I don't have a stand for the tank and it's on my floor :(

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious...how did you determine that she was "allergic" to salt?

Helen told me. She was in a .1% couldn't control her swimming and was just listing. Helen had me place her in QT with epsom and she was fixed the next day. I can see if I can find the thread.

Just curious...how did you determine that she was "allergic" to salt?

Helen told me. She was in a .1% couldn't control her swimming and was just listing. Helen had me place her in QT with epsom and she was fixed the next day. I can see if I can find the thread.

Do you remember the symptoms you were attempting to treat with the 0.1% salt?

Have you tried using other types of salt...? :hmm

like what? Isn't salt salt :idont
Not quite. I'll wait until there's a course of action in play. :)

• Admin

I believe it was just flukes :idont

interesting.

I wonder now that all the Flukes are gone would the Salt have this same effect.....

Mikey what is getting me with Puff is her Tail. She does have a fin rot going on......

So for right now I would really like you till we can figure out something....do 100% water changes... Every day for a week... Just good old clean water...

With regards to the salt, it may be that she has trouble with osmoregulation which would indicate a kidney problem rather than an "allergy" to salt.  If this is the case, it would explain why the Epsom Salt solved the issue in the past.  If she does have compromised kidney function, this may also be the underlying reason for her many health issues :(

With regards to the salt, it may be that she has trouble with osmoregulation which would indicate a kidney problem rather than an "allergy" to salt. If this is the case, it would explain why the Epsom Salt solved the issue in the past. If she does have compromised kidney function, this may also be the underlying reason for her many health issues :(

oh no :( should I not add it I guess?

it may be that she has trouble with osmoregulation which would indicate a kidney problem

This is precisely what I suspect is going on. . It is also caused by overmedicating and/or prolonged exposure to chemicals early in the development of the fish.

I don't like to diagnose other peoples fish, but this is really, really probable.

I'll try to find the literature I read as reference.

Here is a PDF without too many technical terms that sum it up very nicely just in the first page or so.

http://repository.ubn.ru.nl/dspace31xmlui/bitstream/handle/2066/16675/10863.pdf?sequence=1

Also a brief RG article

http://www.raingarden.us/osmoregulation.htm

Edited by Chai

With regards to the salt, it may be that she has trouble with osmoregulation which would indicate a kidney problem rather than an "allergy" to salt. If this is the case, it would explain why the Epsom Salt solved the issue in the past. If she does have compromised kidney function, this may also be the underlying reason for her many health issues :(

Hard to say since you've only had the one bad experience.  If you do try it, stay close and be ready to pull her out and use Epsom Salt if necessary.

Hard to say since you've only had the one bad experience.  If you do try it, stay close and be ready to pull her out and use Epsom Salt if necessary.

I'll be ready. Wish me luck

Still no listing like she was a year ago :D she was being pulled by the air stone again. I need to get that air control valve. I just remembered :doh11: other than that, she had some nice big poop :rofl I fed her a cube of bloodworms around 4:30.