Sign in to follow this  
TonySydney

Really bad goldfish advice is still on the internet

I was just filling in some time on Pinterest when an image linked to this website. The author is explaining how goldfish in a bowl should be maintained.

http://www.ehow.com/how_8768617_care-goldfish-bowl.html

Just had to tell someone who would care that this terrible advice is around  :no:

It's all over the internet. That's what Koko's is for: To dispel this misinformation.

OK, so go to the site and comment.  Don't be rude, but point out the errors.  Then go to the linked sites and comment there.  This is a wrong that you can do something about.

Unfortunately it is in fact all over the internet. If a good number of Koko's members commented, it'd probably have more chance of being taken down.

I commented on it.

Yikes! Really bad info in that article. :badidea  Good thing some people are commenting better advice! :thumb:

What a shame. Glad some of you took the time to comment!

The internet also tells me that if I eat a Paleo diet, I won't get cancer; that vaccines cause autism; that the pharmaceutical industry is trying to make people sick; that if I could just eat enough organic fruits and veggies, I'd be a lot healthier; that Target hates the military; and a whole lot more. Oh what a tangled web the internet weaves. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the good advice to comment on this goldfish bowl article. I just went back to the webpage and suggested the author should do some research here at Kokos and then update the article to reflect what we now know about good goldfish care. I should have thought of this myself!  :blink:

It's sad, but when I first got my goldfish, the first thing I did was google about fish care and read tons of articles with blatant misinformation like 1gal of water/inch of fish is fine, gravel is essential, you should feed them flakes, never change more than 30% of the water at a time etc. Of course all this was reinforced by the local pet store people and even the instructions that come with the aquarium I bought, so I really didn't realize how wrong it all was until I started reading threads and posting here and on other fish forums. I guess change will take time and effort from concerned people like those on this forum.

I had the same experience when I first set up my current tank, I was putting expensive aquarium salts into the tank at every water change and almost took the advice of one shop owner that I should continuously medicate the tank because to quote him "fancy goldfish are just so delicate that they get everything"

Thankfully I did not follow his advice but started reading and getting advice here at Kokos. Sadly I did lose two goldfish before I worked out what needed to be done to properly care for my fish. A big decisions was to make large water changes, no one at any of the lfs agreed with this, I was sternly told only to do 25% once a week at the most. I now to two 50% water changes a week (one on the weekend and one midweek) and the fish are doing brilliantly. I should also note that Lis gave me some good information about feeding and foods that also turned things around for me.

I am really happy that I found this website, it is great to talk to like minded people (my friends & family are great but they really don't understand my devotion to goldfish!) and be able to ask for help and advice when it is needed. :D

It makes me wonder, though, if the original advice was to only change 25% at a time and it got transformed somehow into 25% per week...the former actually would make sense before test kits were readily available.  25% WC 2-3x/week would be easier on fish if pH levels were very different or if tap water was otherwise wonky.

Sad but true... it breaks my heart trying to explain to non-aquarium hobbyist that fish are animals like dogs and cats... and they require certain care standards... Especially for gold fish.

Smaller more regular water changes do make sense if you are not testing, maybe that is how the 25% water change Urban Myth got started, I had not considered that.

Hassan where did you find the page on Aquarium management? Does the author go on to explain what is really happening?

I'm a member of a couple of goldfish groups on Facebook. Bad goldfish is being given on the internet in real time. :doh11:

The book from internet. " Compleat Aquarium Guide " yes he mentioned it as hummer but he explain the mistake of the bowl keeping .

For me any one ad advice to keep goldfish at A bowl he accept to keep goldfish as "disposable animal" just for funny !

I am glad it was a humorous aside, I have never understood how anyone can see any animal as disposable.  :(

It makes me wonder, though, if the original advice was to only change 25% at a time and it got transformed somehow into 25% per week...the former actually would make sense before test kits were readily available.  25% WC 2-3x/week would be easier on fish if pH levels were very different or if tap water was otherwise wonky.

I am quite sure you are right.  The last time I kept fish (guppies) before I started my goldfish pond was ~ 20 years ago, and I had not heard of testing water.  I siphoned off the debris every day cleaned the filter once a week and replaced the water I removed.  

On the other hand, when I tried to keep goldfish as a child, I remember very well the instructions -- feed just a tiny pinch of flakes once a day and change all the water in the bowl every day.  I followed the instructions religiously, and the fish always died within two weeks.  A fish hobbyist told my father it was because we had copper water pipes and wouldn't be able to keep fish in our water.  I suspect the proper advice would be to let the water run for a while  to clear any that was in the copper pipes and then collect water for the change, but this guy kept tropical fish that are much more delicate than goldfish.

I assume that most tropicals are more sensitive to changes in temperature, pH, hardness, salinity, and other water properties than goldfish.  Thus the warnings not to change more than 25% of the water at once.  Goldfish have a wide range of tolerance of all of these.  While they can be shocked by a sudden large change, healthy goldfish of the more vigorous varieties can usually survive even large changes with no more than a few days of pouting.  Many professional goldfish breeders do nothing but 100% changes.

Many pond people repeat the "don't change more then 25% of the water at a time" mantra, saying that more will shock koi and destroy the pond ecosystem.  However, the people with state of the art koi ponds and valuable show and breeding koi recommend water changes comparable to what we do in aquaria.

Another thing to consider is that these employees probably get a little on the job training. And a lot of fish in pet stores are tropical fish. It is my understanding that tropical fish are more sensitive to large water changes. Correct?

Speaking of bad advice, I was just visiting a friend who is in a high care ward at a retirement village, while there one of her carers showed me a picture of her goldfish tank. It had two goldfish in it and lots of plastic decorations. She told me excitedly about her fish then told me one was very aggressive and had recently killed a third fish. I sympathized and asked her if there were any plants in the tank (there were not) and her aquarium maintenance routine.

This was the advice she was given at the aquarium shop and what she has been doing. Feed the fish only twice a week, change 20% of the water every 1 to 2 months. She then told me everything in the tank was covered in green slime so she took out all the decorations, and the top half of the gravel and washed it all in tap water. The rocks she scrubbed in boiling water. Then she got the filter and washed it nice and clean using tap water. I tried to kindly explain to her about good bacteria and how a tank should be maintained but she looked like she did not believe what I was saying - the aquarium guy has more fish cred it seems!

So I suggested she check out Kokosgoldfish.com, I even showed her the website on my iPad so she would know where to look to get information. She has a kind heart so I am hoping she will do some research and take better care of her fish. I am amazed that any goldfish survive with the bad advice going around. I lost two fish before I got good advise here about feeding and water changes.

Edited by TonySydney