Are power heads in a Goldfish tank bad?

freude88

Forgive my ignorance... I am new, but are power heads in a goldfish tank bad?  I have two connected to an under gravel filter along with a canister filter.  The power heads have a tube attachment that allows me to let air into the powerhead that then blows air bubbles all over the tank.  My goldfish seem to like to play in the current and it looks nice.  I have a 72 gallon bow front planted tank.  The reason I ask is that I read on another site that they may ingest the air bubbles and it may contribute to swim bladder.  Is this true?  I could turn off the air if this is a problem.

I would turn off the UGF and remove it. They're not really the best for goldfish since goldfish produce lots of large waste. That would eliminate both potential issues at once. :)

E2A: You don't need to worry about the fish ingesting too much air unless they like to pipe at the surface. Swim bladder issues have more cause than just ingesting air. :)

Edited by ChelseaM

Thanks for the advice...  My tank is quite heavily planted and it would cause a lot of havoc to remove the UGF.  I clean regularly and it hasn't seemed to be a big problem.  Here is a pic!

IMG_3027_zps635f71cc.jpg

Thanks!  It's been a lot of work.  I sure enjoy it. I really like yours too.  Your goodies are big!  I can't wait for mine to get that size.

Edited by freude88

Fingers does admit to being old school, but if it works, it works. 

Do you test for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? If they stay in check I guess youre good.

I don't think the air bubbles are a problem.

Hi you have had great advice already!!... If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!......pretty much the same as my set up!!...2 powerheads and a big canister!!...works for me for many years!!!...who knows we might start a revival of undergravels!!!... Lol!!....your tank is beautiful!! :-)

I have until recently had 2 Hagen 802 power heads running an UGF with bubbles and all. The turbulence they created made the goldfish present themselves in the middle of the tank perfectly. Having a UGF and a planted tank is a perfect combo. Obviously a work of love since it's so beautiful. It's physically impossible for a goldfish to ingest an underwater bubble. It would just come out the gills. They will however ingest air trapped in food pellets. Swim bladder problems usually have much more complex causes than ingesting air. Like intestinal impaction or high levels of nitrite that make the myofacial tissue covering the swim bladder inflamed.  Once again - your tank looks amazing!!

Glenn