new wen growth or something more?

shihpuff

• Admin

Having a problem this morning their are some nitrites in the tank not quite .25 and the nitrates are 20....question is how can I do water changes safely when the tap ph 6.6 doesnt match the tanks ph 7.5 my one oranda is staying at the surface with his dorsal down.

OK hun for now Like Sharon said do 5 gallons of water.... not alot hun or the ph will change to much on them, but you can do small changes and let the tank catch back up.....

Now to do a bigger on for now we will need some Gallon jugs of some sort you can let it sit out and it looks like the PH goes up by its self.....

Now we can also do the baking soda trick this will raise the PH up right away..... LEt me get that info for you hun :)

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

Hey hun.... If you want it?

I got some Buff it up from Goldfishconnection you can have if you want... Its a buffer that will help with your ph and KH....Im dont have fish right now and your more than welcome to take it....

If you do just send me your address and Ill get it out to ya :)

I'm going to have to go the baking soda route. Having two 110 gallon tanks having all those jugs sitting around just isn't feasible. Thank you so much for offering the buff it up to me. I will send y ou my address. So I have 110 gallons and a 30 gallon qt tank when I need it.

• Admin

I'm going to have to go the baking soda route. Having two 110 gallon tanks having all those jugs sitting around just isn't feasible. Thank you so much for offering the buff it up to me. I will send y ou my address. So I have 110 gallons and a 30 gallon qt tank when I need it.

Ok I just wanted to make sure cause I think I saw that you had a 72 gallon tank but then I got alittle confused... So just a 110 gallon tank. :) and a QT 30 gallon tank

Kh from Tap only took 3 drops. GH (incase y ou need it) only 4 drops

Hello,

Please consult the tables in this thread to figure the correct amount of baking soda to add at every water change :)

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/110296-stabilizing-your-tank-ph-with-sodium-bicarbonate-baking-soda/

I would like to raise the kH by about 80-100 ppm in each tank. Essentially, we want to get the kH to about 7-9 drops.

Thanks

Now what would be the best wc schedule for me because 20% every 2 days is not enough. Nitrates are too high and their is a bit of Nitrite in the tank.

Why is there nitrite in the tank? Is this a newly cycled tank? For the time being, let's aim to have 1 level teaspoon of pure salt per 10 gallons of water in the tank. This will block the harmful effects of the nitrite. Maintain this level of salt until your tank cycle has caught up. Then remove salt.

What is your nitrate level? I am one of those people who love big water changes and often, but given your pH, this may not be possible to do without aging the water beforehand.

Idk why there is nitrite. This is not a new tank, it has been running for almost a year. Nitrates were 20 this morning after 30% wc last night.

Edited by shihpuff

Just tested the silver jug after 24 hours. No ammonia, Nitrite or nitrate infact I've never seen the Nitrate vial so yellow! and the ph did not change still 6.6

Scrubbed the red spots in the tub and they pretty much came out.

Edited by shihpuff

• Admin

Ok hun... lets run it now with an air stone... :)

Now if it does what I think it will, with the PH....You could do what an old old member did her.. that is get a 55 gallon trash can... with wheels if you can... Clean it and then for water changes fill it up let it stand with an air stone for 24 hours... ..Add your silver if the water in the tap has nitrates in it...

then she used a pond pump to pump it in the tank again... she had a 110 gallon inside tank and had to do this cause of her ph :)

• Admin

Can you not just add drops of silver to the tank? Or is that not how it's done?

If you do that it could ruin the cycle of not careful... See it eats bacteria... and with your well water Im thinking there is a bacteria in there.... So if you treat the water before going into the tank and then the tank has carbon it will take out the silver and your left with clean water :)

I figured it could kill the cycle. Well I will have to pick up two 55 gallon garbage cans. I guess I could keep them on the deck outside because my husband would not love them inside the house lol...maybe I could keep my husband on the deck instead hmmm

Edited by shihpuff

• Admin

I figured it could kill the cycle. Well I will have to pick up two 55 gallon garbage cans. I guess I could keep them on the deck outside because my husband would not love them inside the house lol...maybe I could keep my husband on the deck instead hmmm

you are going to have to make sure its food grade container... As some plastics may leach....

for example

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-Gallon-Screw-Top-Plastic-FOOD-GRADE-Drum-RAIN-BARREL-FREE-PRIORITY-SHIPPIN-55-/231446556452