Sign in to follow this  
ShawneeRiver

New state, new tank and mostly new fish

Hi y'all! Earlier this year, I moved from Michigan to Texas, and I don't think I've done an update since, so here it is. ;)

I sold my big tank and rehomed most of my fish. We brought four in an 36 gallon acrylic tank with plants, shimp and about 10-15 gallons of water. Two fish survived the trip. I think the other two would have made it except that instead of them being in the car for 2 night, they were in the car for 4 nights. It was such a long drive, and it took longer than we had planned. (Two packed cars, two adults, two kids and four fish -- you can imagine. :yikes )

The remaining two fish thrived on neglect at my mom's house, while we house hunted here in Texas. When we got a house and moved in, I think the small move across town must have affected the cycle/bacterial load more than I realized because my female died within a week. :( I got a shukin from Raingarden to replace her. 

After a couple of weeks in the new house, I started checking out Craigslist for a bigger tank. I wasn't ready to buy, but it never hurts to looks. And boom -- I found the perfect tank. The gave me such a good deal that even my husband thought it was too good to pass up. ;)

So now, I have a 90 gallon SeaClear acrylic tank with a custom extra-low stand (a must-have for a bigger tank to work in the new house! :nana ). I have four adult fish and a baby. (During a rescape, I accidentally saved a bunch of eggs and hatched a tub full babies. One made it.) I'm also trying out lots of new plants. I'm still deciding how that's working out. :)

15576461637_be752b3207_c.jpg

Seaking the fantail, the sole survivor from Michigan, is 195 grams today. He's so big now that I had a very hard time holding him in one hand for the picture. He was a fish store trade in, and I got him as an adult.

15935543417_ea2b94e580_c.jpg

Cyclone the shukin is 80 grams. She has not thrived since I got her, but she releases eggs regularly. She's from Raingarden, and I got her in July.

16095491856_b915008b75_c.jpg

Sauron is a ranchu from Goldfishnet.com. I got him 4-5 months ago. He's so fat that I thought he would weigh more than 135 grams.

16121289965_ddfa3d8ae5_c.jpg

Sourpuss is a Raingarden tele, and I got her about 4-5 months ago. She also releases eggs all the time. Between the two girls, there were eggs every few days for a couple of months. She has grown since I got her, and she's 110 grams. She's not really C-shaped -- she was thrashing a lot. :teehee

16120549292_69c8dabcb1_c.jpg

And last but not least, here's baby Finster, who was hatched in the last week of September. I believe that his mama is Cyclone and his daddy is Seaking. I was hoping for a calico shukin, and I got a fry-colored fantail! :rolleyes: He's between 5 and 10 grams. My scale does 5 gram increments, and it kept bouncing from 5 to 10.

15935551677_ba858dd50e_c.jpg

They look great! I love Sauron :wub:

Beautiful!!!

Thanks for the update, Shawn.  I agree that Sauron is fabulous, but they all look great.

Looks great!!  A very nice variety of fish and colors!  :clapping:

But we miss you in Michigan.  :cry

I love the tank and the fish look great, too :)

Great fish and tank set up.

My favorite is Seaking.

Wow, great tank with great fish!

Finster? My sister's Rabbit is named Finster! :teehee

Thanks, everyone. Sauron is such a slow fattie -- he's adorable. He doesn't live up to his name at all. :teehee Seaking is my fav. :heart

They are all so pretty!!! :heart

Seaking has definitely got my heart! They're all gorgeous, as is your tank. :D

Stunning photos!  Everybody looks great!

Thanks, everyone. Sauron is such a slow fattie -- he's adorable. He doesn't live up to his name at all. :teehee Seaking is my fav. :heart

Is Sauron still Seaking the Ring of Power?

:rofl

Very nice fish and tank.

Your fish are all so beautiful, and your tank looks great!

They're all so lovely, Shawn. Looking forward to watching Finster grow up and here's to hoping that things go smoothly for you in the fish world. :)

Wow, the light colored sand and the green of the plants looks wonderful together. Your fish are cuties! Especially Finster!

Congratulations on getting a deal on a large SeaClear tank!

What little chubbies! I love Finster. :)

Seaking is so sweet! Definitely one of my favorites. I'm glad that one of the fry did so well! :D Thank you for the update. Now... come back to Michigan.

Thanks, everyone. :heart

Chelsea, I can't go back! My blood has thinned, and I would freeze to death! :rofl2

It's been close to 50 and no snow!  NO excuses!  Get back here!  :rofl3

Wow! It was 32 here when I woke up!

Thank you for sharing your tank and fish with us, and :Congrats: on that Craigslist find!!