Algae troubles

*Amanda*

I am dealing with a relatively new algae issue in my tank. Every water change day I rub the algae off each affected leaf, but my plants are growing so nicely that's starting to become a hassle. A few days ago I reduced my photoperiod from 10 to 8 hours, and am hoping this will make a difference (though I've heard conflicting information about whether this helps). I have a BN pleco, but he focuses on the glass and driftwood, and pays little attention to the plants. I use a Marineland Double Bright 36" LED, Flourish, Excel and root tabs. I also use Activ-Flora nutrient-enriched gravel. I don't use a heater in the winter, so my tank temp is around 65F. The affected plants are Anubias, Cyperus helferi, crypts and dwarf sagittaria. The swords remain unaffected (not sure why). My tank is 9 months old.

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 0

GH: 13 drops

KH: 10 drops

pH: 8.1

Pics are below ... please let me know if you have any suggestions!

16d84457952da6a6ef51723006bf83f3.jpg

19746702fc4f837198a75eb00659ce5a.jpg

2f25b3ab16bb9beac3b122a7517dbc00.jpg

Edited by *Amanda*

I've tried writing this post a few times now over the past two days, but it unsuccessfully posts every time and I lose it. Since I'm a bit sick of writing it, here's the abridged version. I think I've remembered most of it. :rofl

It looks like diatoms to me, which unfortunately means you're more than likely going to have to ride it out. All newish tanks usually get them at some stage in their first year, but they normally go away of their own accord. What I tend to do is wipe glass surfaces down every two to three days and give my filter a clean. I've heard from a few people that daily water changes can help a lot, but I never really noticed a difference.

Is it located to a specific area of the tank? In my little shrimp tank (which is currently having a diatom outbreak), they only seem to grow in one spot. The same can be said for green spot algae. My guess is there's a higher concentration of light in those areas, but don't have a PAR meter to confirm. 10 hours is a lengthy photoperiod, as is 8 to be honest. If it were me I would cut back to 6 or 7 hours. I have had great success with conservative photoperiods. I see some minor green spot algae on the glass occasionally, but it's not that big a deal.

I have my lights on for 5 hours per day, use Excel every other day, and do ferts (macro and micro) twice a week. I only have anubias and they are quite happy. I still have to bleach them about every 6 weeks. I eventually settled on anubias because they were easy to take out and clean.

I hope this info helps you in some way.

I have my lights on for 5 hours per day, use Excel every other day, and do ferts (macro and micro) twice a week. I only have anubias and they are quite happy. I still have to bleach them about every 6 weeks. I eventually settled on anubias because they were easy to take out and clean.

I hope this info helps you in some way.

I thought that I was the only one that had to routinely bleach the anubias! I'm so glad to see that this happens to someone else!  

Okay, I'm getting a pleco with the hopes it eats the algae on my anubias!

Lisa,  I honestly tried everything...Nerites, shorter photoperiods, different lights, bleaching, etc. and none of it helped significantly.  I got the Plecos and my algae was gone in a week and has not returned.  I still get a tiny bit from time to time, but nothing near what I had before the Plecos.

Lisa,  I honestly tried everything...Nerites, shorter photoperiods, different lights, bleaching, etc. and none of it helped significantly.  I got the Plecos and my algae was gone in a week and has not returned.  I still get a tiny bit from time to time, but nothing near what I had before the Plecos.

Do you have two plecos in one tank or one pleco?

• Helper

Lisa, I honestly tried everything...Nerites, shorter photoperiods, different lights, bleaching, etc. and none of it helped significantly. I got the Plecos and my algae was gone in a week and has not returned. I still get a tiny bit from time to time, but nothing near what I had before the Plecos.
Makes me so tempted to get a couple of BNs. But think my tank is fully stocked with the Goldies

I have 2 goldfish and 2 plecos in the 55 and 2 goldfish and one pleco in the 38.  I have not found the plecos to impact the Nitrate and since they don't occupy the same swimming area as the goldfish, crowding hasn't been an issue, either.

• Helper

I have 2 goldfish and 2 plecos in the 55 and 2 goldfish and one pleco in the 38.  I have not found the plecos to impact the Nitrate and since they don't occupy the same swimming area as the goldfish, crowding hasn't been an issue, either.

Do you think it would be too much to add one or two BN's to my tank? At the moment I have 8 in 160 gallons, but am considering moving one or two of them to my pond when I get it set up.

Do you think it would be too much to add one or two BN's to my tank? At the moment I have 8 in 160 gallons, but am considering moving one or two of them to my pond when I get it set up.

I think it would be okay to add a couple of BNs as long as you don't have high Nitrates already.  You would need 2 to significantly impact the algae in a tank of that size.  They require some sort of driftwood to rasp on and something to hide under during the day.

I bought a Albino BN pleco yesterday. I named her Princess. She is in QT for the next three weeks or so. I put one of the anubias with algae from the goldfish tank into QT with her. This morning I found the anubias to be free of algae! I disinfected the plant and put it back into the goldfish tank. I then took a couple more of the anubias with algae from the goldfish tank and put them into the QT. I'm training Princess to eat algae off the anubias. Let's see what happens in the next day. Thanks, Jared!

:nana You aren't wasting any time putting her to good use :rofl

It might be a little risky to pass the plants back and forth as certain stages of some parasites can survive treatments and hitch a ride on plants :idont

Before putting the plants back into the gf tank, I soak them in a bleach solution (1 part bleach to 19 parts bleach) for three minutes to reduce risk of passing stuff onto the fish. Is this good enough?

Boy, she poops a lot!

Not sure if that will kill encysted Ich or fluke eggs. Maybe check on that.

Oooh, good to know. I'll leave the anubias that I have in her tank in there during the whole treatment period. I'll bleach at the end of treatment.

I'm a big rusty on this bit of information, but I believe I read that PP, salt, Formalin, etc won't kill encysted Ich. I'm not sure about bleach. This is why we urge people to treat for parasites for 2 weeks (uninterrupted) at a temp in the mid seventies. The cyst lifestage is forced by the temperature to mature into the free swimming stage which is killed by the meds.

Please fact check me about the bleach, because I honestly can't remember. I just didn't want you to accidentally introduce any nasties into your main tank :)

I'm a big rusty on this bit of information, but I believe I read that PP, salt, Formalin, etc won't kill encysted Ich. I'm not sure about bleach. This is why we urge people to treat for parasites for 2 weeks (uninterrupted) at a temp in the mid seventies. The cyst lifestage is forced by the temperature to mature into the free swimming stage which is killed by the meds.

Please fact check me about the bleach, because I honestly can't remember. I just didn't want you to accidentally introduce any nasties into your main tank :)

When you originally posted that concern, I remembered reading that bleach will help significantly but not totally guarantee elimination of all nasties. I've been searching for that information but have not located it so far. I seem to remember it said to bleach then let plant sit in quarantine for about five days then bleach again. Luckily anubias can handle repeated bleach dips.

In any case, I'll watch my goldfish carefully to see if the one anubias I put back in brought any nasties.

Princess has been working on the other two anubias I put into her tank. I suspect by morning, they will be algae free!

I think you will really enjoy having a pleco.  They really help with the algae and add a new dimension and personality to your fish family.  I love mine.  Try giving her a slice of blanched Zucchini weighed down with a veggie clip  :Scoff: