Sign in to follow this  
misssmountain

White markings on Oranda's tail have me stumped...

Thanks for the pic. Can you now post pics of Nacho in the tank with a good view of her fins? Also post pics of the black oranda with fin issues. Thanks!

Post #145 from Shakaho recommended more than two 50% water changes per week because of the tall tank and the number of fish you have. Also, she recommended taking out all decor for now (you can put back later when the fin problems are solved). More water changes will improve water quality, and no decor will help to sure nothing to damage fins.

While your water parameters might be okay, there maybe too much dissolved solids in the water that are not tested for. These dissolved solids affect water quality thus affecting the ability for the fins to heal.

You can also put Nacho in a hospital tank and just provide pristine water for now to allow the fin to heal.

Post #145 from Shakaho recommended more than two 50% water changes per week because of the tall tank and the number of fish you have. Also, she recommended taking out all decor for now (you can put back later when the fin problems are solved). More water changes will improve water quality, and no decor will help to sure nothing to damage fins.

While your water parameters might be okay, there maybe too much dissolved solids in the water that are not tested for. These dissolved solids affect water quality thus affecting the ability for the fins to heal.

You can also put Nacho in a hospital tank and just provide pristine water for now to allow the fin to heal.

Oh gosh...I took that to mean that I could just change MORE water at each change...as it stands currently, I'm doing about 75% each time. I do my changes on Mondays and either Thursday or Friday. Unfortunately I don't have time during the week to do more than 2 changes. I work 6 days a week between two jobs, and am just about at my capacity for aquarium maintenance. :( Would changing more water twice a week be okay? Otherwise I guess I will have to seriously look into re-homing some of the fish...

Also, can you please clarify why my tank is considered "tall"? I looked up standard dimensions for tanks my size (60 gallons) and larger, and 24" tall seems pretty standard. I mean I definitely wouldn't say it's short, haha, but seems pretty average to me?

Trying to get good photos but unfortunately they don't like to sit still. Black fish's fins actually look better. 

I'll take out the plants at tomorrow's WC. I took the rock thing out. Is the only conclusion then that I must just have dirty water? :( I feel like I care about these guys so much, but no matter how much I try, I can't seem to get it right :(

Edited by misssmountain

Regarding WCs, as much as you can (>>50%) during the two times per week you can do it would be good.

Yes, because you did the salt and prazi 3-rounds treatment including salt dips recently, we think it is water quality and/or some decor in the tank that is causing the problem.

So lets see how it goes for the next couple of weeks with two 75+% WCs per week and no decor in the tank. This process of eliminating potential irritants is what we recommend. This process is slow, but best to do right now instead of using meds because meds won't solve it if it is water quality and/or decor. I've had to do this with my tanks and it is quite frustrating at times but in the long run it is good to figure this thing out.

Can you remind me, what is the substrate in the tank and how thick is it?

If this doesn't work for Nacho, then putting Nacho in another tank with just filter and pristine water for a while would be the next step. But try the above first.

Regarding WCs, as much as you can (>>50%) during the two times per week you can do it would be good.

Yes, because you did the salt and prazi 3-rounds treatment including salt dips recently, we think it is water quality and/or some decor in the tank that is causing the problem.

So lets see how it goes for the next couple of weeks with two 75+% WCs per week and no decor in the tank. This process of eliminating potential irritants is what we recommend. This process is slow, but best to do right now instead of using meds because meds won't solve it if it is water quality and/or decor. I've had to do this with my tanks and it is quite frustrating at times but in the long run it is good to figure this thing out.

Can you remind me, what is the substrate in the tank and how thick is it?

If this doesn't work for Nacho, then putting Nacho in another tank with just filter and pristine water for a while would be the next step. But try the above first.

Okay, got it. Have to take out all the decor anyway to bleach it...lots of algae growth in this heat!

Do you think it would be overkill to do 100% at each water change? Maybe I could try that for a few weeks and see how it goes?

I have sand as my substrate...just enough to cover the bottom, I'd say about 0.5-0.75"

100% each time would be good (or as close to it as possible).

Yeah, algae growth is a bummer. My female bristlenose pleco handles all of that, thank goodness.

100% each time would be good (or as close to it as possible).

Yeah, algae growth is a bummer. My female bristlenose pleco handles all of that, thank goodness.

Okay cool. I'll give this a go for the next couple of weeks and see if that shows any improvement. I can commit to changing MORE water each time, just not sure I can add any additional changes with my current schedule. :)

Just ordered new sponges and filtration pads for my canister too -- I clean them regularly but it might be time to swap those out. I also got a longer bubble bar to increase the water movement.

Regarding new media for your filter, you might not want to change all of them at the same time. Some beneficial bacteria is on those media (though not as much as is on the biomedia), so if you change them all at the same time, you may experience a cycle bump.

I did notice that when I added a bigger air stone, the fish seems more active and happy.

Regarding new media for your filter, you might not want to change all of them at the same time. Some beneficial bacteria is on those media (though not as much as is on the biomedia), so if you change them all at the same time, you may experience a cycle bump.

I did notice that when I added a bigger air stone, the fish seems more active and happy.

Ah yes, I won't change them all at once, just ordered them all to have on hand for when I do need them :)

All tank decor has been removed for now...I'm kind of digging the minimalist look, and the fish seem to like it too -- more room to swim and zoom around (or maybe it's the new airstone? haha). Once I reintroduce the decorations, I may keep them more towards the back so they have a more open space to move around without a bunch of stuff in their way. :)

Hi Lisa, and everyone!

Nacho's dorsal has finally started healing! It's not grown back fully just yet, but the top edge is smooth -- no nicks, shreds, or tears :) I removed all décor for the past 2-3 weeks. I recently added back some of the plants with rounded, non-sharp edges, and have ditched the crystal rock entirely.

I've also been doing 2 water changes per week, as close to 100% as I can get.

Problem is --now Mamba's dorsal is torn and shredded looking! Arggghhh! I swear as soon as one gets better, another one comes down with something. It started looking like that before I added the plants back in, and has gotten worse over the past week or so. I'm trying hard for a pic, but it's been difficult with her, even outside of the tank. :( Her tail, and all other finnage looks just fine.

Obviously I've already done a full fluke treatment...I have Melafix I could try? Or, I have Turbz in a hospital tank...she'll be done with her treatment in a week and a half. I could always put Mamba in there with clean water. Only thing is, I just have an airstone for that one, no filter, but of course could do daily WC's as it's just a smaller 10 gallon.

Any ideas? Should I start a new thread since this one got so long? I guess the good news is, Nacho looks better :) Not sure what the deal is with my fish and their dorsal fins...yeesh!

Good to hear about Nacho! Sorry to hear about Mamba. Yes, I would start a new thread for Mamba. Make sure to fill out the form. You can also post a video of Mamba since pics are difficult. Take video, upload to youtube, and then post link in thread.