I'm switching to (or attempt) a planted tank

Annie

Hello Fellow Koko Members!! :) :) :) 

Hope your all doing well where ever you are in the world. I have placed in some driftwood to my aquarium and tied down some Java Fern to it. I am going to try Anubias also  but if there are any other pretty live plants you can recommend that you've had success with in your Fancy Goldfish tanks, please share below. 

So far my boys are leaving all the plants alone, they're curious and had a nip when first went in but they haven't tried again. 

Is there any advise you can share with me on how long my lighting should be on, (I've heard 8 hours minimum) and can you advise on whether fertilizers are required and or safe. I am looking forward to experimenting with more plants in the new year & would love to hear advise from those of you with planted tanks. How long does it take usually on average for the roots to attach to the driftwood? 

Thank you for your time & helpful advise. :) :) :) 10600512_669871589800712_72153700900862710419492_669871626467375_718804166245032

I will post photos as I progress and hopefully the plants have grown along the way. Current photos are as is now and water slightly cloudy as I took out sand and went back to bare bottom tank today with w/c. 

It's looking really good! :)

8 hours minimum is a bit much. I tend to start off far more conservatively and increase from there. Start with 6 or 7 hours and see what happens (i.e. algae). Realistically you shouldn't need more than 8 hours with plants. As for fertilisers I would look at Seachem Flourish and Flourish Excel. The former is a macro/micro mix and the latter a carbon source.

Thanks guys :) So far the boys are loving it, they are leaving the Java alone pretty much but the moss..well they're really enjoying a nibble. I am going to try out Needle Fern, Java Fern & Anubias in the new year. I would get it now but Christmas requirements are taking priority regarding finances at the moment  understandably lol. 

Hey while I'm here, anyone know of  extremely realistic artificial moss plants? I am enjoying seeing my boys graze and probably will give them a live moss treat now and then but still want to keep a 'moss look' on some ends of my driftwood... let me know if you can help. 

Also please if you have any other recommendations for other live plant varieties, jump in. Thank you!! :)

Anyway thank you and watch this space for further developments in new year :) lol :) :) :) :) 

Looks wonderful! I don't know about artificial moss for your wood, but people like these artificial moss stones http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-Fluval-Decor-Stones-Aquarium/dp/B00EE8NKG0/ref=sr_1_3?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1419113034&sr=1-3&keywords=Fluval+moss

I don't have the stones, but I've seem pics of them in tanks and it looks cool.

Your tank look amazing :) love it! Why did you take your substrate out? Just curious ;)

So, there is this crinkley plant. We call it an onion plant, but that's not official. Tammy can probably help with the name :)

Jenna, Molly, Tammy may have one and I do too but I got it at the store in Michigan when I was visiting Lisa and Molly this spring :teehee sorry. That wasn't very helpful :rofl

So, there is this crinkley plant. We call it an onion plant, but that's not official. Tammy can probably help with the name :)

Jenna, Molly, Tammy may have one and I do too but I got it at the store in Michigan when I was visiting Lisa and Molly this spring :teehee sorry. That wasn't very helpful :rofl

Crinum calamistratum. :)

Thanks guys. I've got the bug now, I wish I ordered more of a variety in one go to make it look less spindily and more busy. I will wait until Christmas is out of the way and holdiays and then... I'm going to order at least five varieties to mix it up and have fun with experimenting. 

I took the sand out as I wanted to go back to bare bottom. :) Thanks guys & thanks for the moss rock idea :)

I would definitely get a timer for your light, especially if you work full time or are away from the house often. (Or even if you are - it's best to have the tank on a schedule.) I bought the Coralife timer and it's awesome.

Your tank looks great! :) I know what you mean about wishing you'd ordered more plants. I have placed many orders!

The lace java fern is one of my favorites. It takes forever to grow, but once it fills out it looks beautiful! I also like swords a lot (especially the melon and rose varieties), but those need to be buried.

Great advice on this thread!  I start at six hours for lighting, but my current setup runs for five.  Tweak one thing, wait six weeks, note the changes, and then tweak something else.  For me, a planted tank has been about very slight changes, trial and error, and patience. :)

Thanks guys, I'll definitely look into getting a timer in the new year. I will try those plants out thank you. Yes patience is something I'll need for sure lol it's fun experimenting :) Look forward to updating more photos as I progress..allbeit slowly