Sign in to follow this  
PacificaNZ

Renovations

Quick question: I've decided to put down some Tahitian Moon Sand in my bare bottom tank. Should I take my two fish out while I renovate? Thanks

I'd definitely take them out while you are putting the sand in, will be easier to get it in without the fish I think, and then will have time to settle before the fish get in there so it wont irritate them (I don't actually know if it would irritate them anyway but I would still move them while putting the sand in)

I agree.  Definitely take them out.  Make sure to rinse the TMS well before adding it to the tank.  I did and it was clear almost immediately.  :D

Hope you love it as much as I do.  And, of course, we expect pics.  :photo:

:rofl3

I agree.  Definitely take them out.  Make sure to rinse the TMS well before adding it to the tank.  I did and it was clear almost immediately.  :D

Hope you love it as much as I do.  And, of course, we expect pics.  :photo:

:rofl3

Thanks folks. Can I just ask how big your tanks are and how many bags you needed to get sufficent coverage? I purchased a 20 pound bag, My tank is a 40g dimensions: 15" x 36" (3 feet).

I used 20lb and my tank is 36" x 16". I got about 3/4"-1" coverage if it's evened out :) I didn't rinse mine properly and got black arms and grey water haha.

Edited by JustRachel

Very pretty!  How are you liking the TMS?

:nana  Looks fantastic!  How long after adding the TMS did you take the pic?  It's very clear!  :D

Looks awesome!!! :nana

I am waiting to get some into my daughter's 40B.... May be a wait though as she wants white sand. :rofl

:nana  Looks fantastic!  How long after adding the TMS did you take the pic?  It's very clear!  :D

Thanks, After filling the tank back up and adding the sachet of water clarifier that came with it I put my fish back in about an hour after filling it even though it was still alittle cloudy . I took the picture about 2 hours after luckily I rinsed it. The moment I put them back in as usual they tried to eat a mouthful and quickly spat it out so their still getting used to eating their food and not the substrate.

The TMS is so nice I love how it sparkles and the feel is so nice. I have to get used to the fish poop standing out but the fan helps to disperse it and push it to the filter intakes. Thanks

Looks awesome!!! :nana

I am waiting to get some into my daughter's 40B.... May be a wait though as she wants white sand. :rofl

Ahh nice I have a smaller tank I wouldn't mind using the White sand in there maybe one day Edited by PacificaNZ

Loving it thanks :)

Very pretty! How are you liking the TMS?

The TMS is so nice I love how it sparkles and the feel is so nice. I have to get used to the fish poop standing out but the fan helps to disperse it and push it to the filter intakes. Thanks
Yeah, the poop definitely drove me nuts when I had just sand! I had the white Moonlight sand though, which is much finer than TMS. Rather than just sit on top, it would coat the poop, making it impossible to vacuum up. So I added gravel for a 50/50 mixture ... much easier to take care of. If I do just sand again, it'll definitely be the TMS. I love the sparkly look it has. :)

Looks good! I had the white moonlight sand too for awhile, I loved the look but like Amanda said the poo stands out in it and it's hard to vacuum bc it's so fine

I've been deciding on plants for a low tech aquarium so far I've decided on Crypts, Java Fern and maybe some Amazon swords.

DSC_0025_zpsd7d7fd22.jpg

DSC_0027_zps7d295810.jpg

Looking good! I love the pop of green against the black. :)

Your tank looks very nice.  Anubias is another easy plant to take care of.

Your fish look awesome in their new setup. :)