General cure for fungus-infected wound

This is not really very specific as I assume that treatment will probably be pretty much the same for goldfish or tropical fish, but my single peppered cory has somehow sustained a wound on his dorsal fin about a week ago.

As I was going to start the water change, I noticed that this fish's first ray bone on the dorsal fin is fully exposed. The rest of the fin tissue is perfectly fine.

I added a couple extra 50% water changes during the past week to keep the water as clean as possible, but just now I noticed that at the base of the exposed ray bone there appears to be a wad of fungus.

•  
  •  
  • * Ammonia Level (tank): 0
  • * Nitrite Level (tank) 0
  • * Nitrate level (Tank) 0
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap): 0
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap) 0
  • * Nitrate level (Tap) 0
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4
  • Tank information:
  • * Brand of test kit (drops or strips): API drops
  • * Filter name and size (GPH/LPH) two Marineland Penguin 150 @ 150gph each (total of 300gph filtration)
  • * Additives and conditioners: Prime, occasionally koi clay
  • * Water temperature (With or without heater- please specify): 80F
  • * Last water change date: a couple days ago, in the middle of doing another
  • * Tank size (Gallons or litres): 20 gallons, moderately planted
  • * Fish in the tank (species and number): 1 adult angelfish, 1 clown pleco (3" total), 1 peppered cory (2.5"), 2 tetras (2"), snails
  • *What is your water change schedule? Like how much and how often? weekly about 75%; after adding assassin snails I upped to twice weekly due to increased bioload by dead trumpet snails.
  • * Any new fish added into the tank: assassin snails to reduce the trumpet snails, about 2.5 months ago
  • -If Yes: Were they quarantined?  yes
  • -If Yes: Quarantine period and process (meds added): no ( "pointless" ) but daily 100% water changes to rinse / flush out snails
  • * List prior health issues in tank: none
  • * Medications previously added to the tank: standard prazi treatments and salt
  • * Medications on hand: Metro Meds, Medi Gold, Melafix, Metronidazole Powder, Prazi Pro, Coppersafe, Maracin, Seachem ParaGuard
    • * Diet- brand and amount/duration of feeding: Omega One small sinking pellets, Repashy Super Green, various frozen foods
    • * Any unusual behaviour such as nipping, bottom sitting, etc: less active since he is the last of the cory school
    • * Any unusual findings on fish and in tank: fungus on wounded dorsal fin
    • * Affected fish in quarantine or in main tank: currently in main tank
    • * Current medications being used on affected fish: nothing yet
    • * Previous medications used to treat affected fish: nothing
    • * If any, list previous health issues and treatment protocols taken: preventantive treatment with Prazi for flukes a year back
    • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

Here is a front and back view of the fish. You can see how the base of the wound is red and swollen looking, but luckily it isn't all the way down to the base of the fin, touching the actual body.

The "crud" you see btw is clumped koi clay from my koi-clay-overdose-disaster from a while back. Since this tank has no goldfish to eat the majority of the leftover clay, a lot of the extra clay got trapped on the rough areas of the drift wood and even coated the roots of the anubias and java ferns  - which in return have gone through a nice growth spurt.
But after every water change initially there is a bunch of clay clumps and fuzz all over the place.

100_1223_zps3ddb26f3.jpg

100_1220_zpsd01dedc2.jpg

The reason this boy is not in QT is because both my spare containers are currently in use for the goldfish fry. All I got t the moment is a 1gallon tub and I'm not sure if that's a good move. Not only for the small water volume, but also for the fact that cory's are shy fish and by himself in an empty 1g tub / unfamiliar environment he might be stressed out too much.
Unless it is harsh treatment, I'd rather treat the entire tank.

So my plan is to salt to about 0.15% in three 0.05% steps; if needed to up to 0.2%, and use Melafix. I'd rather have Pimafix, but I won't be able to get any until tomorrow, and both medications supposedly go well hand in hand if used in combination.

Again, I'm sure the treatment for  wound-based fungus development would be pretty much the same in goldfish and tropicals except for the tropicals' lower tolerance for salt, but if anyone has any other additional ideas, I'd be happy to read them :)

I've always found salt for minor treatment works well for goldfish.

I usually go in 0.1% steps upto 0.3% and keep it there for a few days.

I also raise the temp using a heater to about 26°c.

Don't know if any good for your fish tho

I've always found salt for minor treatment works well for goldfish.

I usually go in 0.1% steps upto 0.3% and keep it there for a few days.

I also raise the temp using a heater to about 26°c.

Don't know if any good for your fish tho

Thanks for chiming in anyway!

I did salt at 0.05% and added melafix yesterday, and sure enough this morning most of the fluff is already gone. Still upped the salt to 0.1% and will see how things go from there.