Upgrading my 30 to 60

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I took some time. But I finally set up the new aquarium on Sunday. And all my three water babies are finally back together. I will post pictures soon.

The fish look tiny in it. And the log that used to fill most of the tank is tinsy in it.

At the moment it's barebottom, with the log and two java ferns. I'm now undecided wether to go planted with substrate. Or just have rocks and ferns and anubias.

I thought I'd ask here for a general consensus and some inspiration.

It's far less Labour intensive bare and less likely that flukes hide in the substrate. But at the same time I enjoy the planted look and love to watch the puppies rummaging in it

Get a bunch of ferns and anubias and cover the wood with it. They can also be attached to stones, so a couple pretty rocks covered in plants would be a good way to get a 'planted' feel with a bare-bottom tank.

Yes that's what I already did with the wood and it is definitely one option I'm considering. But I wonder whether I and the fish will miss the substrate

There's always the possibility. I have found, though, that bare bottom tanks really grow on those who have goldfish because maintenance is easier and it also offers a cleaner look. So give it some time before you make your decision, watch the fish forage around the wood and other objects in the tank, and really weigh your options.

I think what I might do is get a couple more anubias and javas and stick them on rocks and wood. And get the sand later if I still want it. That way if I do get sand it's still easy to remove the plants from the tank for cleaning. Bit of a compromise between both

I could never imagine my tank bare bottom. Don't get rid of it if you like it. :)

Also I could take Blacky off your hands wahahahaa. :lol2

Hahaha.

He is miiiiinnnne.

Actually after surviving what he did I think he might be an immortal. Lol. Still can't believe it. He's completely back to normal.

I'll take some pictures as soon as I get home tonight and post them. Punky promise. Then more pictures once I have more plants. And more pictures and more pictures and more...

Ok enough talk talk talk. Need new/more pictures.

I'll take some pictures as soon as I get home tonight and post them. Punky promise. Then more pictures once I have more plants. And more pictures and more pictures and more...

Ok enough talk talk talk. Need new/more pictures.

Wonderful. I look forward to them.

I could never imagine my tank bare bottom. Don't get rid of it if you like it. :)

Also I could take Blacky off your hands wahahahaa. :lol2

Hahaha.

He is miiiiinnnne.

Actually after surviving what he did I think he might be an immortal. Lol. Still can't believe it. He's completely back to normal.

Koi hybrids are substantially more durable than a normal goldie. :wub: