Sign in to follow this  
misssmountain

Is it okay to transfer fish to a new larger tank while treating for flukes?

Hello,

I currently have 3 goldfish in a 25 gallon...I know that is way too small for all of them, and recently upgraded to a 60 gallon. Everything is pretty much ready to go, just have to transfer the gravel, plants, and fish. I am treating for flukes right now -- I've done 3 rounds of Prazi so far. One fish is completely fine, one has minimal fluke-looking markings on his tail, and one has several of the markings, and also her dorsal fin tore (is this from flukes?) and has not been healing up. Everyone is eating and seems happy and their normal selves aside from the marks on the fins. :(

Is it okay to switch them over to the new tank while they still have flukes, and resume the Prazi treatment in the bigger tank, of course?

My other question is I am having a fish shipped to me overnight soon as well, and will be using the 25 gallon for quarantine. I will start with new water, obviously, but how can I ensure there won't be any flukes "left over"?  

Thanks in advance...this whole fluke thing is getting very frustrating. :(

Could you please fill out the questionnaire below.  That will help us to give you informed recommendations.

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Is the 60 gallon tank cycled yet?

I would recommend disinfecting and completely drying the 25 gallon and it's equipment (after you have finished the current Prazi treament) before using it for the new fish's quarantine.  You could also get an inexpensive, separate 10 gallon tub for the new fish.

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) - 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) - 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) - 10-20
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) - 0.25
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) - 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) - 5-10
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) - 7.8
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) - 7.8
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? - API Master Kit, drops
      • * Water temperature? not sure
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? - 25g, since March 2014
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? - Penguin 200
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? - once a week, 25-50%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? - 3 days ago, 50%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? - 3, 2 are about 2" and 1 is about 3"
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? - Prime, aquarium salt
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? - Hikari lionhead, twice a day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? - one was added in late October
  • * Any medications added to the tank? - Prazipro, 3 times
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. - I have done 3 rounds of Prazi with aquarium salt
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? - one fish has several white markings which have appeared on her fins, and also her dorsal fin tore in consistency with the white marking. one fish has barely noticeable white markings. one fish seems just fine.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? - no

Is the 60 gallon tank cycled yet? - not yet, but I will be using the same gravel, plants, and running the old filter for a little while until I need it back for the QT tank :)

Thanks for answering all of that.  Just a few more questions:

How much salt are you adding while doing the Prazi rounds?  

Are you following one of our Prazi schedules?  

Does the 60 gallon have a filter of it's own up and running?

When is new fish due to arrive?

You can kind of see the tear in her dorsal fin here -- although it's folded over in the pic. The white spots you can see on her tail, one at the edge on the top lobe, and one right in the middle on top. (No discolorations on her body, that's just a glare from the glass)

nacho1_zps6fac356f.jpg

1 tbsp per 5 gallons

I've been doing the 7 day rounds for 3 weeks

Yes, a canister filter

Pretty much whenever I give the go ahead to send him over, he is paid for and is basically being "boarded" until I say when :)

This pic shows her dorsal before it ripped...sorry for the crappy cell phone pics. (her eye is not cloudy, again just a glare, ugh!)

nacho2_zps696364db.jpg

1 tbsp per 5 gallons

Yes, a canister filter

Pretty much whenever I give the go ahead to send him over, he is paid for and is basically being "boarded" until I say when :)

Awesome!  We generally recommend salt at 0.1% (1 Teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon or 3/4 Teaspoon of canning salt per gallon) with Prazipro.  This helps to promote healing and stave off secondary bacterial infections.  

The more rounds of Prazi that you complete in the 25 gallon, the less chance you have of introducing a large Fluke infestation into the 60 gallon.  It also takes less Prazi to treat the 25 than the 60, so you will save on medicine.  If it were me, I would do a 4th round in the 25 gallon and then do two more rounds immediately upon moving them into the 60.  Transferring your filter, gravel and plants will also potentially transfer Flukes to the 60, but will help to establish the new cycle.  That is another reason to continue Prazi in the 60.  

I would hold off on receiving the new fish until after you have completed a 4th round in the 25, moved the fish to the 60 and have disinfected and completely dried the 25.  If possible, it might be even wiser (and less trouble) to wait until you have completely finished all of your Prazi rounds and feel confident that your fish are cured.  There are many reasons for this besides the presence of the Flukes.  You also have to consider that you may need the 25 to quarantine and treat any one of your current fish should they become sick with a secondary bacterial infection during the Prazi rounds.  If you don't want to wait, I would recommend that you pick up a 10 gallon aquarium or Sterilite tub and just equip it with an airstone for the new fish.  You may prefer this anyway as it will require less water changes and medicine.

1 tbsp per 5 gallons

Yes, a canister filter

Awesome!  We generally recommend salt at 0.1% (1 Teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon or 3/4 Teaspoon of canning salt per gallon) with Prazipro.  This helps to promote healing and stave off secondary bacterial infections.  

The more rounds of Prazi that you complete in the 25 gallon, the less chance you have of introducing a large Fluke infestation into the 60 gallon.  It also takes less Prazi to treat the 25 than the 60, so you will save on medicine.  If it were me, I would do a 4th round in the 25 gallon and then do two more rounds immediately upon moving them into the 60.  Transferring your filter, gravel and plants will also potentially transfer Flukes to the 60, but will help to establish the new cycle.  That is another reason to continue Prazi in the 60.  

I would hold on on receiving the new fish until after you have completed a 4th round in the 25, moved the fish to the 60 and have disinfected and completely dried the 25.  If possible, it might be even wiser (and less trouble) to wait until you have completely finished all of your Prazi rounds and feel confident that your fish are cured.  There are many reasons for this besides the presence of the Flukes.  You also have to consider that you may need the 25 to quarantine and treat any one of your current fish should they become sick with a secondary bacterial infection during the Prazi rounds.  If you don't want to wait, I would recommend that you pick up a 10 gallon Sterilite tub and just equip it with an airstone for the new fish.  You may prefer this anyway as it will require less water changes and medicine.

Okay...this might be a dumb question, but how do I know when the flukes are under control?

Also, a 10g tub and airstone will work? Would I just change out the water every day? He's kind of a bigger fish, does that matter, or will 10g suffice regardless?

1 tbsp per 5 gallons

Yes, a canister filter

I would hold on on receiving the new fish until after you have completed a 4th round in the 25, moved the fish to the 60 and have disinfected and completely dried the 25.  If possible, it might be even wiser (and less trouble) to wait until you have completely finished all of your Prazi rounds and feel confident that your fish are cured.  There are many reasons for this besides the presence of the Flukes.  You also have to consider that you may need the 25 to quarantine and treat any one of your current fish should they become sick with a secondary bacterial infection during the Prazi rounds.  If you don't want to wait, I would recommend that you pick up a 10 gallon Sterilite tub and just equip it with an airstone for the new fish.  You may prefer this anyway as it will require less water changes and medicine.

Okay...this might be a dumb question, but how do I know when the flukes are under control?

Also, a 10g tub and airstone will work? Would I just change out the water every day? He's kind of a bigger fish, does that matter, or will 10g suffice regardless?

It is almost impossible to eliminate Flukes entirely.  But, if the fish aren't showing any symptoms (fin spots or splits, flashing, heavy breathing, coughing, etc.) then the Flukes are under control.  We also recommend doing a couple of maintenance rounds about every 6 months to keep the Flukes at bay.  

How big is the new fish?  The 25 might be better iff he's really large.  I use a 10 gallon QT tank for my smaller fish and a 20 gallon for my larger ones and do water changes every day or every other day with Prime added in between as needed

1 tbsp per 5 gallons

Yes, a canister filter

It is almost impossible to eliminate Flukes entirely.  But, if the fish aren't showing any symptoms (fin spots or splits, flashing, heavy breathing, coughing, etc.) then the Flukes are under control.  We also recommend doing a couple of maintenance rounds about every 6 months to keep the Flukes at bay.  

How big is the new fish?  The 25 might be better iff he's really large.  I use a 10 gallon QT tank for my smaller fish and a 20 gallon for my larger ones and do water changes every day or every other day with Prime added in between as needed

He's a Lionhead, about 5-6" maybe?

I'm assuming I couldn't put him in the 60 while I'm finishing up with the 25g, as then I might have cycling issues?

The only symptom I've seen is the fin spots/split...and it's really only the one fish. No other symptoms from any of them, thankfully. Do you know how long the spots stick around for, even if the flukes are under control? I'd imagine they'll heal eventually?

I would not put him in the 60 as you risk introducing any pathogens he might bring along into your main system.  He should be quarantined in a separate tank by himself. 

The spots will disappear once the irritation from the Flukes has gone away.