Buying New Tank. help me pick a size.

Good morning guys,

I am finally on holidays, we just got our Christmas bonus and we are nearing Christmas. So as often mentioned an promised I am going to order my new bigger aquarium. However I cannot make up my mind on which size and I though you guys might chip in. Kat_M kindly pointed me in the direction of an ebay seller that sells brand new aquariums at great prices.

Here are the factors:

- I have 3 single tail goldfish (blacky might be a koi hybrid). Two of the are growing like crazy

- I live in a rental on the first floor of a converted Victorian Terraced House. (I'm not sure exactly how the floor joists run and how spaced out they are)

- At the moment our 100 L/ 30 gal  aquarium sits in the middle of the living room, behind the sofa. This is because the kitchen takes up one side of our living room, the other long side has the chimney, radiator and wall with lots of turns and the other two walls have radiators and windows. We enjoy having the aquarium in the middle of the room since it acts as a room screen and can be seen from all sides.

- At the moment the aquarium sits on an expedit/kallax shelf from ikea. Like this http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/80275887/ but sitting on its longer side. This spreads the weight nice and evenly. It is 147cm long and 39 cm deep.

Here are the options:

- Aquarium 1: 200 L / 53 gal ; 100cm x 40 cm x 50 cm; bowfront or rectangle

- Aquarium 2: 200 L / 53 gal; 100 cm x 40 cm x 50 cm; chamfered corners

- Aquarium 3 :240L / 63 gal : 120cm x 40 cm x 50 cm; bowfront or rectangle

- Aquarium 4: 250 L / 66 gal ;  100cm x 50 cm x 50 cm; bowfront or rectangle

- Aquarium 5: 300 L / 79 gal ; 120 cm x 50 cm x 50 cm; rectangle with crossbracing

- Aquarium 6 : 375 L / 99 gal; 150 cm x 50 cm x 50 cm; bowfront

- Aquarium 7: 450 L / 118 gal; 150 cm x 50 cm x 60 cm, rectangle

Edited by Dandelion Blue

I would go for any of the last 3 listed :) I would be inclined to pick between the last two though, just because they are longer. It's also a matter of personal preference - do you prefer bow fronts or flat fronts? :)

I would go for any of the last 3 listed :) I would be inclined to pick between the last two though, just because they are longer. It's also a matter of personal preference - do you prefer bow fronts or flat fronts? :)

Actually I don't mind between bowfront or rectangle. I just thought I would mention it. My current aquarium is rectangle but Kat_M aquarium from the same supplier is bowfront and very beautiful.

In an ideal world I would go for the last and largest. The only thing that concerns me is weight and the fact it stands in the middle.

Cm kinda screws me up! My advice = go big big big! As big as you can to fit the spot you'll put it and can afford! Also keep in mind that goldfish like swimming back and forth :) so long and shallow is :thumb:

Shallow is especially important with young fish/babies and fish with SBD :)

I hope this helps :hug

I'd go rectangular, if it is to stay in the middle of the room. I kind of wonder if a bowfront would make it look strange at different angles. :idont

Have you spoken with your landlord about it? Maybe they'd be able to give you an easy answer about the joists and support, or refer you to someone who could help you figure that out.

I'm with the others, go as big as you can! :nana

If there's access to the crawlspace to the house, you may be able to simply peek in the door to see which way the joists run without actually having to go under.  

Another option is to build a shallow, heavily supported, square platform that is the length and width of your longest tank dimension to disperse the load evenly across joists no matter which way they run.  This is not the best option, but it will work in a pinch.

My landlord is aware I have a tank. I don't think he is necessarily aware of quite how big it is and I don't want to push the fact I'm planning to get one maybe three times the size.

I live on the first floor, not the ground floor and their us a tenant below. So no crawlsoace to access.

The stand it us on at the moment is very good at dispersing the weight evenly. Acrois the whole length. It isn't purpose built for an aquarium but due to how it is built very sturdy. I would prefer to keep it.

I would just follow the 15-20 gal per fish guideline and select any tank that accommodates that. Whether you want to go bigger than that is up to you.

I personally always go with bowfronts, but this is a matter of preference. I just like the way they look better than rectangular tanks.

Marineland makes good bowfronts that come with different types of stands - I have 2 and am very pleased with the quality.

That's awesome you get a Christmas bonus - I was going to be jealous but then I remembered I won some pretty cool stuff at our company Christmas party raffle! ????

I live on the first floor, not the ground floor and their us a tenant below. So no crawlsoace to access.

The stand it us on at the moment is very good at dispersing the weight evenly. Acrois the whole length. It isn't purpose built for an aquarium but due to how it is built very sturdy. I would prefer to keep it.

Ah, sorry that I misunderstood; where I live, the "first floor" is the same as the "ground floor!"   :doh11:  And while the current stand may be great at displacing the load across the length, if you unknowingly have it running lengthwise with the joists, you could technically have zero direct joist support.

Example:  in my area of the US, floor joists typically are run 16" on center (center of the joist to center of the next joist), which is 40.64 cm.  Your stand is 39 cm wide, which could theoretically fit between those joists.

The best option is to find out how the joists run and adjust your plans accordingly.  If you cannot, the short platform could help you (and the tenant below you) remain safe.  So, if you went for the 120 cm tank @ 300 L, you could build a small platform that is 120 cm x 120 cm x 5-7 cm built from 2"x2"s and .5" plywood - substitute European equivalents here, as I don't know how nominal lumber is sized where you live.  This would ensure that the weight of your tank is displaced over 2-3 joists instead of over 0-1 joist, and their direction won't matter.

Edited to add:  if you want to use your current stand, you'll need to go with one of the first three aquariums, at which point the platform may become unnecessary.  If there are engineering folks here, please chime in!   :)

Edited by landmouse

Sorry to obsess over the stand but it doesn't seem the issue is being addressed. On the product website it says the unit can hold 13 kg per shelf. With 8 shelves it seems to me this unit can hold 104 kg, or 229 pounds safely. A 53 gallon tank weighs over 425 pounds, 192 kg, in just water, not counting the weight of the tank. That's nearly double. "just saying"

Hi guys. Sorry I didn't check back in.

Diesel (Jason is it?) You are absolutely right and if I had realised there was a weight statement I would have checked. Although I do wwonder wether thus actually apply to the inner shelves. The inner shelves are much thinner. The outer perimeter is made of far thicker material whilst the inner leaves provide crissbracing in tgecway I have currently set it up. It might however be wise for me to find a better stand.

Landmouse. Yes after I answered I figured it must be a British thing to call it first floor. Unfortunately the only way to find out how the boost run in this house would be to lift the fixed floorboards or make a whole in the suspended ceiling downstairs. Since both us and the tenant below are tenants this isn't an option. O know understand what you mean with the platform and that is a good idea. although I do tgin k that for now I will remain safe and stick with the 240l, so 63 gallon tank, until we move into our own house or a gf flat. That us still 20 gallons per fish. Then I can always upgrade once more

Stand wise I might have to look fir Smyth suitable

Hi guys. Sorry I didn't check back in.

Diesel (Jason is it?) You are absolutely right and if I had realised there was a weight statement I would have checked. Although I do wwonder wether thus actually apply to the inner shelves. The inner shelves are much thinner. The outer perimeter is made of far thicker material whilst the inner leaves provide crissbracing in tgecway I have currently set it up. It might however be wise for me to find a better stand.

Landmouse. Yes after I answered I figured it must be a British thing to call it first floor. Unfortunately the only way to find out how the boost run in this house would be to lift the fixed floorboards or make a whole in the suspended ceiling downstairs. Since both us and the tenant below are tenants this isn't an option. O know understand what you mean with the platform and that is a good idea. although I do tgin k that for now I will remain safe and stick with the 240l, so 63 gallon tank, until we move into our own house or a gf flat. That us still 20 gallons per fish. Then I can always upgrade once more

Stand wise I might have to look fir Smyth suitable

Yes, it's Jason. You could be right about the frame being stronger. I don't know. What I do know is water is very heavy. Most large aquarium stands have braces to keep the frame from twisting. Kind of diagonal... In the corners. I would just hate to see anyone's aquarium crash to the ground. Maybe you and 4 friends can stand on it and see how it does :)

I think you have a solid plan, especially if you beef up the stand a bit.   :goodluck

DP, :tomuch:   I now have a mental image of D. Blue and 3 friends visiting shops and climbing on the furniture to "test" it!  I know you meant test the one she has, but still...