Marimo Balls for Goldfish

Annie

Hi there,
So I know that keeping live plants can be tricky with Fancies and currently I keep a non-planted tank with very realistic artificial plants which look pretty. 

I really fell in love with the look of Marimo moss balls and I keep reading that the goldies will munch them up straight away and it could block your filter. So I have a bit of a creative side and I was determined to keep  these beautiful green balls so I started to think of ways I could keep them but save them from the kids. :) 

I ordered two glass,tear drop shaped, 12cm hangings that have one side open with a circle opening. I plan on trying to put the marimo inside it with maybe a flat black river stone or something and then sort of close of the opening with some artificial leafage from my artificial aquarium plants (to keep the goldies from reaching them) I'd gently rinse them with each weekly water change also, making sure they're kept clean and safe.

I've ordered ten giant marimo balls so.. if you have some creative ways of keeping these successfully in a Goldie tank, please do share as I'd love to hear your thoughts. Also, are there goldie owners here that successfully keep them just free standing in the aquarium & your fish leave them alone? 

I loved that the marimo represent good luck and love. 

Thanks guys and hope to hear some creative ideas & or your thoughts.... :pease:  :pease: 

3 out of 4 of mine don't eat them, and the one that does only tears apart the little ones, the bigger ones have been safe so far. *crosses fingers & toes ;)

*I have a little marimo addiction. :lol2 17 on last count I think....

Where did you get the marimos from? I've never been able to find out if they're legal here—varying accounts of AQIS seizing/destroying them.

They seem to be widely available on ebay AU at the moment

I got mine from someone on QLDAF over a year ago now (though my goldies took a liking to them and I only have 1/4 of one left and 2/3 of another :g025: )

As far as I can tell they are illegal to import but fine if they are already in Australia?

I had 3, but the fish decided to tear one of them apart :teehee the other two don't get touched, and have been in with the fish for months now :)

Edited by Lis.

I love the look of moss balls. I had a few in my goldfish tank, but unfortunately because the flow from my filter is quite strong they just kept being sucked into one corner of the tank  :doh11:

I've got a couple in my betta tank though and they look great.

I love the look of moss balls. I had a few in my goldfish tank, but unfortunately because the flow from my filter is quite strong they just kept being sucked into one corner of the tank  :doh11:

I've got a couple in my betta tank though and they look great.

Yeah, most of mine eventually end up in the back of the tank and some of the smallest ones get stuck on the filter tube thingy. ;)

I have some Marino balls in my small tropical. Mine were very floaty so I had to half bury them . But they look great. I don't have t gem in my Goldie tank, since although they don't eat some of my plants, they do love my suckered and little lemon has a penchant for the moss. However she even smacked on the algae

Sounds like a good idea with the glass drop. Please do post pictures when you have it set up!

One of my goldies leaves marimo alone, one makes it their snack. I put the marimo in my shrimp tank as a result.

I have always wanted to try a moss ball but never bought one yet because the ones I always see in the pet stores are 20 dollars. :yikes  If I find cheaper ones I may get one :D

:yikes ....and I thought the $8.99 they go for here was ridiculous! :yikes

They seem to be widely available on ebay AU at the moment

I got mine from someone on QLDAF over a year ago now (though my goldies took a liking to them and I only have 1/4 of one left and 2/3 of another :g025: )

As far as I can tell they are illegal to import but fine if they are already in Australia?

Maybe it's changed then? There was a discussion here early last year that really went nowhere. A few links someone posted to different Australian forums had conversations saying AQIS officers were seizing/visiting homes of people that bought them online, but perhaps it had to do with certain sellers, who knows? I never know how our government departments function. :rofl

Some goldfish eat all plants, some eat none and some eat only certain types. You'll only know by trying! :)

I added Marimo balls once, hoping my fish would eat them ... but alas, they did not. I've had many, many plants in my tanks, and the only one any of my fish ever ate was a banana plant ... which is supposed to be goldfish-safe. Go figure.

Wow thank you to all of your lovely members that replied to my post. I have only just today seen your comments as I did not receive any notifications that there was replies, possibly because I didn't select 'follow this' ? 

Anyway great news I have got them today in the mail! Yes I understood that if bought by an Australian supplier in Australia it is not illegal unless imported. 

They are beautiful, I have not put them in to the tank yet. I have to take sand out, as I want to go back to bare bottom again and I have some driftwood pieces that I've decided to try out. 

Can I ask those of you who use Marimo balls in your aquariums, what you need to do to them prior to placing into tank, to make them safe to put into your aquarium? Currently they're sitting in a bowl of water treated with Prime. 

Also, can anyone here share advise on getting moss to grow on to driftwood, for example requirements needed, getting it attached, light required & best type of moss to use in Goldie tank. 

This is fabulous learning from each of you! Unfortunately I still am yet to learn how to attach photos here, other wise I would share my marimo balls picture with you all. 

Thanks again for all your help!!! Have a lovely day/evening wherever you are in the world :)  :thumbup2:

Wow thank you to all of your lovely members that replied to my post. I have only just today seen your comments as I did not receive any notifications that there was replies, possibly because I didn't select 'follow this' ?

Anyway great news I have got them today in the mail! Yes I understood that if bought by an Australian supplier in Australia it is not illegal unless imported.

They are beautiful, I have not put them in to the tank yet. I have to take sand out, as I want to go back to bare bottom again and I have some driftwood pieces that I've decided to try out.

Can I ask those of you who use Marimo balls in your aquariums, what you need to do to them prior to placing into tank, to make them safe to put into your aquarium? Currently they're sitting in a bowl of water treated with Prime.

Also, can anyone here share advise on getting moss to grow on to driftwood, for example requirements needed, getting it attached, light required & best type of moss to use in Goldie tank.

This is fabulous learning from each of you! Unfortunately I still am yet to learn how to attach photos here, other wise I would share my marimo balls picture with you all.

Thanks again for all your help!!! Have a lovely day/evening wherever you are in the world :) [emoji106]2:

Congratulations! I always use 1:19 bleach:water to treat my plants. I set up 3 buckets, one with the bleach solution, one with regular water and one with conditioned water. I do a 1-minute bleach dip, then rinse the plants in the regular water, and finally place them in the conditioned water to soak before adding to my tank. Some plants get melted by bleach and need potassium permanganate, but that's hard to come by in some areas and I don't think Marimo moss balls are one of those plants. It's normally the ones with delicate leaves.

As for growing moss on driftwood, java moss should work well for that. Very few goldfish will eat it. I've never done this myself, but I think you would need to tie the moss to the driftwood until it attaches itself. Perhaps someone who has kept java moss can confirm. Java moss has low light requirements. What type of lighting do you have currently?

Edited by *Amanda*

Hi there, 
Thank you! I have started a new topic on the growing moss on to the driftwood but great to get replies where ever they come :) 
I have LED lighting, voltage is : AC 100-240V 50-60Hz ( Hi-Lumen120 is the brand) 

• 9 months later...