Sign in to follow this  
dahliemama

Telescope eye missing

I just added two fish yesterday to my tank a pearlscale and a telesope. They are smaller than my other goldies. I was watching them and they seemed fine. I went away from my tank and when I came back after they ate I noticed the telescope has an eye missing.The entire eye was taken from the socket. I want to know what I can do to keep this fish healthy. I do not have a qt. I have them separated now in the tank. It is eating and pooping normally, Please help! Thank you! This is my first time posting so I don't know how to add pictures.

Oh no. Poor telescope. I'm sure a mid will be around soon. Also it's helpful to fill out the questionnaire. I'll post it in a second. To post pictures you need an account with photobucket. Upload your pictures there and it will give you an IMG link you can paste in here.

:hi and welcome.  Sorry to hear about your fish.  Please fill out the following form:

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Do you have anything that can be used for a QT?  It doesn't have to be a tank.  A Sterilite bin or something similar that holds approximately 10 gallons is perfect.  That's all you need, along with an airstone or a small filter for water circulation. 

Welcome to Koko's. Hope your Goldfish feels better.

I believe I know you from Instagram :hi I'm glad you've joined us here at Koko's, hope your telescope heals up soon :):hug

I think I've seen you on IG too :nana Welcomr to Kokos :Jig:

I hope your :goldfish: gets well. Follow the mods instructions :thumb:

Amonia level tank  0.25

Nitrite tank 0

ph tank 7.6

nitrate 30

brand of test is api drops

this test is based on the water before I changed it. I had changed 75% of it on Monday. I took my water to the lfs. I did another change today and it was about 75% so the levels are from pre water change. I need to buy a kit!

Water temp is room temp of 70 degrees

60 gallon tank that has been running since Jan of this year

I have two fluval aquaclear 70  filters running

I change the water at least twice a week and at least 50% is changed each time.

I now have 7 fish ;/  2 that are 1 1/2 inches, 2 that are about 3 1/4 inches, 1 that is 3 3/4 inches, 1 that is five inches and the last my orandad is 6 inches including its long tail.

I feed my fish 3 times a day. I use repashy super green gel food and new life spectrum goldfish formula pellets. A treat would be kale, bood worms or brine shrimp.

I just added the two smallest fish yesterday. they are 1 1/2 inches. A pearlscale and a telescope.

I use tetra aquasfe plus water conditioner

I have not put in any medications in the tank.

I would like to know if melafix would be a good option. I do have plants.

Thank you for any help.

I strongly recommend you get some sort of QT for the fish.  You can use Melafix but you will need to use 6 times the amount in your 60 gallon than a 10 gallon tub/tank . . .  

I'd really like to see a pic if you can figure out how to use Photobucket as Dandelion Blue explained above.  You can also use Tapatalk and post pics from your phone.  :D

Do you have any other meds on hand?

Did you quarantine those two new fish before you added them?

No I didn't quarantine them I know I am not doing things the best way possible. Melafix is what I have on hand. I have a 5 gallon bucket, but nothing larger. Unfortunately my husband isn't the biggest fan of goldfish that is why another tank be it a qt is not likely. I will try to get a pic off of my phone. I am downloading photos on computer, but it is taking forever. Forgive me I am new to this.

Dahliemama, if you're struggling and see this message in the next 10 minutes, feel free to send me a message on IG with the picture you want to post, and I'll get a picture posted on this thread for you :)

I got it on my phone now so i am trying to find the thread all so new! Ahh thanks for being so great!

Oh poor fish! Hope things turn out OK! Good luck with your new fish.

I strongly recommend you get some sort of QT for the fish. You can use Melafix but you will need to use 6 times the amount in your 60 gallon than a 10 gallon tub/tank . . .

I'd really like to see a pic if you can figure out how to use Photobucket as Dandelion Blue explained above. You can also use Tapatalk and post pics from your phone. :D

Do you have any other meds on hand?

I have aquarium salt and also some maracyn plus

If she was my fish, I'd put her in the 5 gallon bucket or try and get a 10 gallon plastic tub.  It should be about $5 from Walmart and in the end you will save lots more than that treating 10 gallons vs 60 gallons. Sorry not trying to beat a dead horse but I really think it will be cheaper that way . . .

I would not put her back in the main tank until that wound is healed.  The other fish will likely pick on her.

I think putting her in the 5 gallon bucket tonight along with 1 tsp per gallon of aquarium salt (so 5 tsp total, dissolved) is the way to go and then see if you are able to find a sterilite tote/tub tomorrow at Walmart.  :peeka   At that point we can decide whether to go with Melafix or continue with salt.

If she was my fish, I'd put her in the 5 gallon bucket or try and get a 10 gallon plastic tub.  It should be about $5 from Walmart and in the end you will save lots more than that treating 10 gallons vs 60 gallons. Sorry not trying to beat a dead horse but I really think it will be cheaper that way . . .

I would not put her back in the main tank until that wound is healed.  The other fish will likely pick on her.

I think putting her in the 5 gallon bucket tonight along with 1 tsp per gallon of aquarium salt (so 5 tsp total, dissolved) is the way to go and then see if you are able to find a sterilite tote/tub tomorrow at Walmart.  :peeka   At that point we can decide whether to go with Melafix or continue with salt.

I will do that thank you!

Let us know how she is in the morning.  :D

poor fish , at least missings eyes tend to not be a henderance for goldfish as long as the wound heals 

Hey. Good to see you were able to post a picture.

I hope his socket heals well.

From all I've hear goldfish do just fine even if they have lost an eye.

Healing vibes to your cutie and welcome to the forum

Speckles seems do be doing well. I have him/her in a qt tank with the other new fish I purchased. I have added salt and am using an established filter. I am now wondering about the other eye. I am curious if it is possible eye flukes.

Why do you suspect eye flukes?

Is the new fish brand new, as in you just got it and put it in QT with Speckles?  :idont

Yes the fish is new I got it at the same time as my now one eyed speckles. When I look at the telescope I see it has a white dot almost like a pupil. I would like to be cautious. I have salt in the qt at 1 tsp per gallon. Do you advise I should up the salt? Also do you think I should add prazi now? Will try and post a pic. Thank you so much for all of your help.

7eceb86c87056530e9fc2bf05ac8eb56.jpg9d8f5dd1ad40c498ff464c98703b3cf3.jpg

Sorry they aren't the best shots. I see a white dot inside the lens. Maybe that is just because it is a calico, but I want to make sure.

Is the white on the inside of the eye?  And is it round/oval in shape?  :idont