HELP! - KoKo out of water still alive but struggling

I think keeping the tank at 0.1% is a good idea, and now that Sharon concurs, I would move him back tomorrow to the main tank, with 20% WC daily.

You could do more WCs, like twice a day, but for now, I would like to keep the water parameters from swinging too much, so 20% WC only at any given time.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great. Thanks guys. That's what I will do. I am currently changing his water in the evening. Should I move him in the evening. Or in the morning so that I can keep an eye on him.

And for now I will stick to 20% daily. I will do a big wc though before I add him back in. Does this mean I shouldn't do my weekly larger wcs either and just 20% daily ones.

Kat, i "liked" something of yours by accident and can't find it. If it seemed inappropriate, I'm sorry! :rofl

Glad Blacky is sitll hanging in there and that you can get him home soon. :)

Great. Thanks guys. That's what I will do. I am currently changing his water in the evening. Should I move him in the evening. Or in the morning so that I can keep an eye on him.

And for now I will stick to 20% daily. I will do a big wc though before I add him back in. Does this mean I shouldn't do my weekly larger wcs either and just 20% daily ones.

Check your water parameters. I think you should still be fine with your usual regimen of WCs, and the 20% daily is just to help remove crud and other things.

I'd move him once you can keep your eye on him and see how Little Lemon reacts to him.  We don't want her nipping at his tail.  It will most likely be fine but he's been through enough.

TThats a good point. When my BIG fish was all banged up I had a feisty little fish that would pick at it's skin/scales/fins/tail and nibble off pieces that were hanging off. The big fish was clearly annoyed and was wasting energy swimming away. I took the little guy out of that tank.

I am really scared about putting Blacky back into the main tank. So I've not done it yet. I know that if I'm going to do it today I need to do it soon. It's half past 2 here. I will start by doing a 805 wc on the main tank. My bf doesn't want me to put him back in and he is putting doubt in my mind :( I know you guys know best. But he looks so fragile and I am so worried

Ok so blacky is back in the main tank. I did a large wc before hand but I have not added salt yet sice I'm not sure about the BN.

Lemon is definitely pleased to see him and I think he is glad for company as well. He is acting a lot more active in the main tank then he was in qt and there are glimpses of the old blacky. He even had several goes at rummaging through the gravel. However he obviously does not react well to anything including Lemon touching his right side where  most of the damage is. He also panics when he gets the impression of being trapped. He cant manoeuvre as well and yet still follows Lemon about. I am tempted to remove the plants and the wood to make it easier for him. At the same I believe it gets the wheels in his head turning to figure out how to swim through the plants.

He is pooing like crazy. Just after I added him he release a big very curly black brown green poo at a very fast speed. It almost just dropped and then hung there.  This had me very worried.

In the bright lights above my aquarium the damage to his right side is very clear. His colouring is also way off. Being very reddish brown. The edges that had turned black and then frayed have now completely dropped off leaving an uneven but less ragged tail behind. I definitely had the impression he had trouble seeing in qt. I do have the feeling that he can see a bit better with the brighter lights above the aquarium. I will post pictures after this post.

The other thing that worries me is that I'm scared he will jump out again and I do not have anything to cover the tank yet. I know that he is in no shape to jump right now but this is my trauma and burden to deal with. Every evening since I found him I know get back up at lest twice to check on the aquarium before I can fall asleep and I do the same in the morning