HELP! - KoKo out of water still alive but struggling

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so he eats. I gave him some bloodworms. He does seem to have some trouble locating them at first but once he realised I was feeding him he was more active in looking for them. He definitely was keen on food.He also doesn't move too fluidly.

He's eating and interested.  That's good.  It will take time to heal.  Keep in mind he's probably somewhat "bruised" on the inside so his movement will take some time to get back to normal.  Let's feed him how you normally would feed.  :D

Look at it this way... the slime coat on your fish is its protective coating. Kind of like how your body have many layers of skin. Imagine if your top layer of skip was all rubbed off on one side of your body and was a raw wound, or was turning into a huge scab. That would be pretty nasty right? You wouldnt feel like moving around much either. Thats pretty much how your fish feels right now. I think this fish will be ok, but it will take time. The best things you can do are to keep the water clean and well oxygenated. I think keeping the lights down will be helpful, and warming the water should speed up its metabolism a bit, maybe that will help it heal faster.

Personally I think that the salt is an irritant to the fish. Yes, this irritant could cause the slime coat to be produced more quickly, but im not sure. Am I the only one who wonders if irritating this fish is best right now?

Yes I can't expect him to move around much at the moment and I can't expect him to act normal, react normal. You wouldn't of a human that had a terrible accident and survived it either. I'm just reporting on his state. Monitoring it. And the development of his body healing or the opposite.

About salt, I do believe you're right and that it could irritate him. At the same time I am very worried about secondary infection and I believe that it might help him breath easier with very damaged gills ( I am sure they must be judging by the gunk and amount of white stuff that came out of them after I first put him back into the water). In the end I will follow any advice I can get on here.

I am aware that this probably has never happened (at least to this extent) before on this forum and that nobody will be able to guess exactly what will happen and to what extent he will heal.

And a low concentration of salt is soothing to fish.  Koi breeders typically ship koi in a 0.3 % salt solution to help calm the fish.  Have you ever rinsed your irritated eye?  Did it feel better to use water or eye drops that contain salt to make the solution isotonic?

Dandelion, I think you are right that the tissue at the ends of the fins dried out very quickly, was damaged and is sloughing off.  You are doing everything right, there is no indication of infection, and Blacky is eating.  We can't say that he is completely out of danger, but the signs are positive.

Just some pictures of blacky after his wc. Rather than looking like a white substance peeling off him it looks like the top black layer of his scales is scrapped off leaving silvery grey behind. they don't lay flat either. Not like dropsy but not even. Definitely damaged.

e20486e414dfbe51a12cc1ecddd17de6.jpg

188e73c848e8c549d81150588e5308cd.jpg

3293b4ed098127a90501769b2b59a227.jpg

His causal fin is even more jagged. I found a lot of bits at the bottom of his qt tank today. His causal fin looks like jagged spikes jut out and the rest has fallen off.

7374ae8ebc13268965b9d315295b6568.jpg

0856903cffc52d89411e3feac5bb9911.jpg

Considering that he might have spent a good number of hours drying out on the floor, he looks extremely good.

The recovery period will be long, and I would wait for others like Sharon and other mod team members to weigh in, but I think he might be OK to go back to the main tank tomorrow. However, it is in his best interest for you to do a daily 20% WC for the foreseeable future.

Hi Alex. It's really good to hear that you think he is looking good after having gone through his trauma.

I still can't believe he survived his ordeal and I'm so glad he did.

If I do end up putting him back into the main tank tomorrow, I will definitely be doing daily WC of 20% (or more)

He will definitely feel happier in the main tank.  I expect it will also increase his activity level and appetite.  My only concerns are the debris he is dropping and the possibility that his tank mates might nibble on the dead fin tips.  The 20% water changes will take care of the debris, and watching the fish should tell you if nibbling will be a problem.

I'd do a large water change to the main tank before returning him.

Alex, do you think she should salt the main tank to 0.1%?  

He will definitely feel happier in the main tank. I expect it will also increase his activity level and appetite. My only concerns are the debris he is dropping and the possibility that his tank mates might nibble on the dead fin tips. The 20% water changes will take care of the debris, and watching the fish should tell you if nibbling will be a problem.

I'd do a large water change to the main tank before returning him.

Alex, do you think she should salt the main tank to 0.1%?

I'm on holidays now and will be spending most of next week at home, so I will be able to keep a watchfull eye and stop any shenanigans from happening. I do have a bristkenose pkeco in there just in case that makes a difference. Appetite wise he is doing good. Just looks very glum. I hope lemon might cheer him up. Inject the will to live and fight this into him. Lemon would also be glad to have her buddy back.

If I salt tg e tank I might remove my plants this time. They barely survived the prazi treatment. Had algae growing everywhere.

Just FYI I had a fish get itself into a very stressful situation one time and for the next few days its tail and fins did deteriorate and fall off.  It has taken a looooong time but the fins and tail are growing back nicely.  Im talking months.... several months.

Something you will need to figure out is how you will cover the tank in the future. That fish does not look like a normal goldfish.  I have had 2 Koi jump on me. One died. The other was in a bucket for just a short time. Did not like it in there! This fish will jump again. The reason it jumps is because it is not happy for one reason or another. Ask yourself... will I cover it and possibly keep an unhappy fish, or maybe you need to dig a big pond to keep blackie happy ;)

I am so glad that both Big Red and Blacky have survived the week and are on their way to recovery!  You must be a very good fish mom / doctor!   :thumb:

Thanks. But to be honest with two sick fish I feel quite the opposite.

Something you will need to figure out is how you will cover the tank in the future. That fish does not look like a normal goldfish.  I have had 2 Koi jump on me. One died. The other was in a bucket for just a short time. Did not like it in there! This fish will jump again. The reason it jumps is because it is not happy for one reason or another. Ask yourself... will I cover it and possibly keep an unhappy fish, or maybe you need to dig a big pond to keep blackie happy ;)

Yes. I have been trying to figure out what made him jump. And I am definitely going to cover the tank. I'm thinking maybe a net but my bf is worried they might get caught in it so maybe plexi. I live in a rental (not really possible for the normal person to buy a place in London), so can't really dig a pond in our garden. but I will get a tank twice the size in a couple of weeks.

Edited by Dandelion Blue

I am so glad that both Big Red and Blacky have survived the week and are on their way to recovery!  You must be a very good fish mom / doctor!   :thumb:

Thanks. But to be honest with two sick fish I feel quite the opposite.

Bad things happen, even to people who are doing everything right.  It's how we react to those bad things that tells us (and everyone else) who we really are.  And you are a very good fish mom / doctor!

Edited to fix parentheses.

Edited by landmouse

Actually there doesn't have to be anything wrong for koi to jump.  Some just like jumping.  They are strong athletic fish.  Some will leap after a flying insect.  Some apparently think they are spawning salmon and try to climb up the waterfall.  But those who jump tend to do it again without learning a bit from the experience.  I've seen many reports of people who lost a koi after it's third or fourth jump from the pond.  And that was the only fish in the pond that jumped.

Goldfish, on the other hand rarely jump for no reason.  Some reasons are toxic water, terror, or electrical current in the tank. Goldfish often flash at the surface when spawning and I've sometimes worried that one might flop out of the water, but I've never heard of it actually happening.

Koi-goldfish hybrids seem to resemble koi with respect to jumping behavior.

The plexiglass sounds good for a cover.  Drill holes in it for gas exchange.  Another possibility is an eggcrate light diffuser.  This is rigid,  with holes too small to trap a fish and allows free air circulation without drilling holes.