HELP! - KoKo out of water still alive but struggling

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Changing the water on blackys qt. There is a lot of crude on the bottom. He still looks terrible. One side is completely covereed on smthg white that is peeling off. I hope this is his slime coat and not a fungus. He swims but doesn't react to us. When I picked him up to place him in the bowl while I do thevwc he did show resistance and a lot of strength though. I hope he will use this strength to heal

That's good to hear. What about secondary infections. Do you think he will be ok. Also lemon can be quite rough with him. Normally he is right back. They push and shove each other. But in this state. Although when I first held him in the tank to revive him. She came and just floated next to him. She must have sensed smthg was wrong.

Yesterday dnalex said no food today so I'd stick with that. Have you tested your water for ammonia today? I am just curious where it's at.

Personally I would throw in one piece if food and see what happens. It would give you a sense for how the fish is feeling.   But everyone else says no so stick with that :)

Edited by DieselPlower

I wouldn't call it active not to his standards. Although he isn't sitting in a corner. He swims slowly from one corner to the other. Before he was a very reactive fish and when we approached he would go wild, wiggly and come to the topic. At the moment there is no reaction to us at all. He did swim pretty fast when I tried to catch him to do a wc.

Looks very promising to me. Don't worry so much about infections at the moment. Just keep your water clean. I am thinking that he can probably go back in the main tank the day after tomorrow (the 4th day of the accident).

I think this is a result of him being out of water. Fin rot is often due to poor water quality, which he has not been exposed to. Is there salt in the water? How's he acting? Did you try feeding him?

Yes there is 0.1% salt in the water. I did a 100% wc yesterday evening. Maybe I should do another one.

He is far less active today. He is sticking mainly to one area of the aquarium. Not moving around much

I've not tried to feed him yet, maybe I should now.

Also I don't know at what temperature to keep him. At the moment he is in relatively cold water. I could heat it up a little and  have a spare heater.