HELP! - KoKo out of water still alive but struggling

Ok. My bf tested the water.

Ph is 7.8 (a little lower than usual)

Ammonia 0.25

Nitrite 0.25

Nitrate 80

Clearly my tank is cycling

This us after a water change two days ago.

I noticed the filter was unplugged that day. I wasn't sure whether my bf had unplugged it by mistake to plug in his laptop. Or if it had been unplugged ever since I cleaned the filter the week before.

This was what I was worried would happen. Is this why bkacky jumped. I'm kicking myself. I'm an idiot.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think those numbers are anything that would make a fish jump. I'd do a WC once you're home to get the nitrate down. If the filter was off, it could be a bit of a cycle bump from that depending on how long it was off. Was the filter media still wet?

Have him add a single dose of Prime until you're able to do a WC. :)

I don't think those numbers are anything that would make a fish jump. I'd do a WC once you're home to get the nitrate down. If the filter was off, it could be a bit of a cycle bump from that depending on how long it was off. Was the filter media still wet?

Have him add a single dose of Prime until you're able to do a WC. :)

The filter is a canister, so even when it is off, the filter is filled with tank water. But there is nothing that the bacteria can feed on. Especially since I did a thorough clean.

If the filter was off since the filter clean, then it would have been of for a week.

It could have been any amount of time between that. Since my bf plugs in his laptop but generally is careful and I have been unplugging the air pump every second day when I was doing big reds qt wc.

I'll do a wc when I get home and I will continue to monitor the water values. It would be good to know what made him jump. I will definitely be getting a bigger tank after Christmas since I have had the impression that he needs more room for a while. He us just so active and pretty big. And as I said he gets up to lots of antics. Or used to.

Edited by Dandelion Blue

I'm nearly home. Here is what I will do. Fill the 25 gallon halfway with water. Add 0.1% salt and the airpump. Then transfer bkacky. He has been in the dark today and I hope that the light in the transparent container won't stress him.

Should I attempt to feed him. And if so what?

Don't add HP, or Melafix. Melafix can do more harm than good at the moment, if his gills are currently damaged, and HP can help quickly add oxygen, if you actually need. I don't think you do, and adding the wrong amount of HP can be harmful as well.

The only thing that is warranted right now is a clean and stress-free environment. The salt is about as far as one should do.

Not sure keeping blackie in new tap water is the best idea. What is the nitrate level of the tap water? How can you have 80 ppm nitrate 2 days after a water change? If the fish is doing fine I would do a 50% water change in the aquarium and throw him in there. Your nitrate will still be at least 40 so another change will be due soon. This is just my opinion but I do feel like there is too much panic going on...

Edited by DieselPlower

Not sure keeping blackie in new tap water is the best idea. What is the nitrate level of the tap water? How can you have 80 ppm nitrate 2 days after a water change? If the fish is doing fine I would do a 50% water change in the aquarium and throw him in there. Your nitrate will still be at least 40 so another change will be due soon. This is just my opinion but I do feel like there is too much panic going on...

Hmm now I'm confused. I think my tank might be going through a minicycle. I'm not sure it's the best idea to expose bkacky to that in his current state. And there is driftwood and plants and fear in there. All stuff that he could hurt himself on in his weakened state. I'm going to do a water change in the main tank anyway. Our tap water is generally at 40ppm nitrates (bloody London). Plus my bf did the test and it's difficult to read in the reds so he might be wrong.

I would keep him inQT with 0.1% salt for a day or two and then go from there. :)

If your tap and tank pH within 0.5 of each other, I'd do an 80-90% WC to get your nitrate down to as close to 40 as possible. Then monitor ammonia and nitrite in the main tank and in QT.

Deep breath. Let us know how he looks once you're home. You can try some food if you'd like. But don't stress if he doesn't go for it today. Waiting until tomorrow might be less stressful. :teehee

I would keep him inQT with 0.1% salt for a day or two and then go from there. :)

If your tap and tank pH within 0.5 of each other, I'd do an 80-90% WC to get your nitrate down to as close to 40 as possible. Then monitor ammonia and nitrite in the main tank and in QT.

Deep breath. Let us know how he looks once you're home. You can try some food if you'd like. But don't stress if he doesn't go for it today. Waiting until tomorrow might be less stressful. :teehee

Ok so I got home and prepared the 20 gallon (the 25 was the same width but deeper). I filled it half way and added 10 teaspoons of salt.

When I transferred blacky the first thing I noticed is that he feels odd. His scakes don't feel moist and slippery, they feel almost dry if that makes sense. At the bottom of the bucket there us a lot of black stuff. He also isn't properly black. More grey, patchy, slighty reddish. He still has some bits of white stuff hanging off him.

In the transparent container I noticed that he has little tears in all his fins. He can move them all fine though.

He is swimming back and forth in the container. Normally he moves his whole body but right now he moves more like a plank with only his fins transporting him. However all his fibs are nice and erect.

He can move both his eyes. But isn't reactive, so not sure he can see.

His gills are reddish pinkish. He has little bursts of his mouth opening and closing, then nothing, then mouth opening and closing. Like little sighs.

Right now he is having an enormous green poo. It's really thick and has a couple of dents in it.

Something us really bothering Mr about my water. Again little bubbles have formed on the tank walls and they are clinging to blacky. I have filled his qt by bucket.

In a way I'm tempted to feed him just because I want to see how he reacts. And because I want him to have energy to heal. However I know he might not want food. I don't know what his insides are like but he must 've in extreme pain.

Edited by Dandelion Blue

In case a mod does not respond soon, I'll put in my two cents. Wait to feed. You don't want to be causing extra pollution in the tank right now. If a mod says feed, feed. I feel like the stuff coming off the fish is it's slime coat. That is why the fish does not feel normal. The slime coat protects the fish from disease etc. The salt should help speed up the reproduction of the slime coat. Hopefully you have some circulation in the tank like a filter or aerator. Keep in mind there is no "cycle" in this tub. I had a fish in a 20 gallon QT raising ammonia from 0 to 1 every day.

In case a mod does not respond soon, I'll put in my two cents. Wait to feed. You don't want to be causing extra pollution in the tank right now. If a mod says feed, feed. I feel like the stuff coming off the fish is it's slime coat. That is why the fish does not feel normal. The slime coat protects the fish from disease etc. The salt should help speed up the reproduction of the slime coat. Hopefully you have some circulation in the tank like a filter or aerator. Keep in mind there is no "cycle" in this tub. I had a fish in a 20 gallon QT raising ammonia from 0 to 1 every day.

I agree that for today, and tomorrow, feeding is not a priority. I would just hold off. Do you have pics or a video?

I know it's really tough to just watch him and wanting to do more to help, but I think that in this case, he won't be able to handle anything more. He just needs to time to try to recover, and we are all sending healing wishes. 

Relax.  Consider that the slime that covers the fish dries to something rather like library paste.  That slime coat is now useless and is falling off as it softens.  It will be rapidly replaced with a new layer.  Until that process is complete, he will look quite disreputable.  

So this morning he is still alive. He looks like he has had a really bad sunburn and his slime coat is peaking everywhere. He doesn't lie in a corner, he does swim about a bit but he isn't particularly active. Not like he used to be.

I did a big water change yesterday on the main tank to get all the parameters down. Little lemon is acting a bit odd. I don't know if it's because she us all alone in the tank. Ever since she joined the troop, she want left blackys side. She is almost glued to him all the time. Yesterday and this morning she has been swimming from one side to the other, like a trapped bear.

Blacky won't act normal for right now. He has just experienced a trauma, so needs time to heal. While these fish are resilient, they still experience illness and trauma in much the same way as any other intelligent being. 

Lemon is likely stressed by being alone. Just give her some personal loving attention today and she'll be fine though.

I send good vibes your way!

Edited by ChelseaM