HELP! - KoKo out of water still alive but struggling

Just woke up this morning to discover my large black fish out of the tank on the floor, discovered he is still breathing and put him in water. Hes now breathing rapidly but I'm having to hold him as he cant stay straight or move. His colouring has gone slightly red and fuzzy things are coming out of his gills as he breaths, plus his eyes are mat. Any advice how I can save him?

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have a tank where you can leave him by himself? The tank should be aerated and Primed 1x, and you can add 0.1% pure salt. That's about it, and we cross our fingers. Be prepared to change out the water every 12-24 hours to keep the water parameters absolutely perfect.

Good luck!

Edited by dnalex

Hi guys,

Thanks for replying so fast. He was wiggling so I let go of him and he is swimming around the tank. He is covered in white stuff 9slime coat) and has scratches here and there. he does move his eyes. he is swimming around now and keep his balance.

My other fish is currently in qt with antibiotic treatment. I only have a bucket left or I could try and find one of those transparent containers outside. I can do the salt and prime and aeration.

Ahh how stressful! :hug I've found fish at work before now that have jumped and look to be dead until they slightly move their mouth. I always hold them other an air stone in the water for 5 minutes and they've always come round. At least you found him before it was too late, I'm glad he's moving around now and I hope he has a speedy recovery :)

It's a good sign that he can now swim on his own.

I would not put him in a small bucket though. Rather keep him in the main tank (if he can handle it) and make sure to keep it pristine. The fish is currently very stressed and you want to make sure he does not get sick.

Any idea why/how he got out of the tank? 

Thank you guys for your comments. He is in qt in the bucket with 0.1%.salt and areation pump. I will buy a food safe container after work. When I left him he was doing ok.

He always splashes water all over the place but I never thought he would jump.

Don't know how long he was out there. He was bone dry and there was no water around him. The floor was dry. He was quite far away from the tank as well. We thought he was dead and then we saw his litlle mouth move a tiny bit. I have no idea how he could have survived.

He has a lot of abrasions. He us covered in white slime. Slime is also covering his eyes.

I hope he makes it through this. He is the most wonderful fish.

If he gets through this what do I need to expect. Oxygen depravation does this mean he might not be the same anymore mentally. Blindness?

Oh no. I put him in the bucket. I won't be back from work until 9 hours. My bf might be back earlier but he isn't very experienced. I think he will be scared to move him.

I'm not sure why he jumped. I have to find out. I did a full water change day ago. I will test the water for everything.

He has always been very boisterous. And him and little lemon play fight a lot. He has also started to show grey little patches since Tuesday abd o was thinking of starting a thread in case it's smthg nasrty.

It's a good sign that he can now swim on his own.

I would not put him in a small bucket though. Rather keep him in the main tank (if he can handle it) and make sure to keep it pristine. The fish is currently very stressed and you want to make sure he does not get sick.

Any idea why/how he got out of the tank?

Oh gosh! :( that must have been awful. :no:

I'm glad you found him when you did, and that he's up and swimming around. Hope he continues to do well. :hug

How big is the bucket he's in? :idont

The bucket is only 10 litres. It's the only thing I had on hand at that moment.

My bf is back home and looking to get a food safe container. He would prefer me to do the change. He is scared of doing Smyth wrong. I have another 5 hours to go before I get home. Would it be best if my bf swapped him into a bigger container or can I do it when I'm home.

He is still alive. Moving about a bit. Not bottom sitting. He us in a black bucket and I have partially covered it to stop him from jumping.

It's ok for a few more hours.  He's not super active at the moment.  Just make sure the water is Primed. 

Also, I was just thinking . . .  isn't he the one you were asking about with the gray patches?  Did you check your pH?  Fish typically don't jump for no reason.  If the pH is steady then maybe another round or two of prazi are in order. 

Relax about the bucket.  He'll be fine until you get home.  Try to find a container that is about ten gallons.  Don't worry about food safe.  As far as I know, none of the stock tanks that many of us have used as ponds for years are food safe.  Do cover it.  Jumpers tend to be repeat offenders.

It's ok for a few more hours. He's not super active at the moment. Just make sure the water is Primed.

Also, I was just thinking . . . isn't he the one you were asking about with the gray patches? Did you check your pH? Fish typically don't jump for no reason. If the pH is steady then maybe another round or two of prazi are in order.

Yes he has grey patches since Tuesday. I'm getting my bf to test the ph right now. The water was also a lot more bubbly than usual when I did a wc two days ago. I fill the tank by bucket.

I'll get some pictures and post the results when I'm back.

Relax about the bucket. He'll be fine until you get home. Try to find a container that is about ten gallons. Don't worry about food safe. As far as I know, none of the stock tanks that many of us have used as ponds for years are food safe. Do cover it. Jumpers tend to be repeat offenders.

Hi my bf has found three containers. I told him to get them all. One us 9 gallons, one is 20 gallons and one is 25 gallons. The 9 gallon is rather talker then wide. I don't think they are food safe so that's good to hear

I agree with Lisa about using the larger container with the most surface area.  I would still cover it.  You can make a screen cover, or you can drill lots of holes in the container cover for good air exchange.  I'm not sure, but I think Blacky might be a koi-goldfish hybrid.  These, like koi, are strong jumpers.

I agree with Lisa about using the larger container with the most surface area. I would still cover it. You can make a screen cover, or you can drill lots of holes in the container cover for good air exchange. I'm not sure, but I think Blacky might be a koi-goldfish hybrid. These, like koi, are strong jumpers.

I'm not sure they have a lid. I'll check when I get home. Alternatively I was thinking of getting a net to put over the top of the qt and the tank.

I do believe that he could be half Koi. He is definitely very strong, I can feel his muscles when I take him out. He also comes a good chunk up out of the water to greet me. Which is smthg the other two don't do. Sometimes his whole dorsal fin will be out.

I just hope he recovers. I love him so much.