Sign in to follow this  
bubbles22

Where have all the nitrite gone?

I'm starting up a new planted tank, currently doing a fishless cycle to get it ready for some fishies. 

My tap: 

Ammonia: .25

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 0

I accidentally added too much ammonia on the first day, 10/4/14, 5 days ago (it was a long day and I kind of zoned out when pouring), about 5 or 6 ppm. 

Being lazy, I just left it in there. 

The next day, I added used filter floss I got from a friend. 

I tested the water yesterday and it read:

Ammonia: .5

Nitrate: 10/20

I added a bit more ammonia that night, got it to 2 or 3 ppm. 

Today, the water reads: 

Ammonia: 1 

Nitrate: 40/80

Where am I in the cycle? 

You're getting there.  Test again tomorrow.  Don't do anything else today.

If you're ammonia is at 0 tomorrow (which I suspect it will be), add enough ammonia to bring it back up to 1 ppm, retest in 24 hours.  If ammonia and nitrite are 0 and nitrate has risen, you're cycled.  :D

You may want to do a WC tomorrow before adding the ammonia to bring the nitrate down so it's easier to decipher the test the following day.  All those orange-red colors are hard to differentiate. 

It's possible the nitrite processing bacteria are well developed and keep up with the ammonia processing bacteria. 

You're getting there.  Test again tomorrow.  Don't do anything else today.

If you're ammonia is at 0 tomorrow (which I suspect it will be), add enough ammonia to bring it back up to 1 ppm, retest in 24 hours.  If ammonia and nitrite are 0 and nitrate has risen, you're cycled.  :D

You may want to do a WC tomorrow before adding the ammonia to bring the nitrate down so it's easier to decipher the test the following day.  All those orange-red colors are hard to differentiate. 

YES  :D Thank you for confirming. I will do that. 

I swear they are literally the same color  :madrant

It's possible the nitrite processing bacteria are well developed and keep up with the ammonia processing bacteria. 

I was hoping for that! Thank you for your input. 

Glad to see you back! :hi Can't wait to see what you get! Your fish (and pics) were always fab. :teehee

Good luck, hopefully somehow you skipped most of the time it takes to cycle! :nana