Sign in to follow this  
Hinfin

Oranda fry diary, THE BIG SPAWN!

Too adorable! :wub: I can hardly stand it. So sweet!

Edited by ChelseaM

WOW... Thats alot of fish.. They are looking good :thumbs:

They are just beautiful, HinFin!

Probably this would seem worrying to some, but i need to spend hours of culling then move them to indoor ponds(which i have) and i'm working on a plan to rent a 200m2 outdoors pond after that.

Planning ahead is a good thing.

, i'm doing all i can for the little ones  :flex:

Hi there  HIfin, great looking fish ,parents and babes and no need to worry about renting a outdoors pond. You can use one of  mine for free!

Thanks for the positive feedback!

There are just so many fry i need to keep planning ahead. Untill now they have done very well, maybe they are a bit behind in growth but they are all very lively and eating well. I now feed BBS and a fry crumble, for the BBS i was using 2x 5liter bottles which wasnt enough anymore.

There are about 250 fry left after culling them all 2 times. I still havent culled for colour yet, still undecisive about that.

In this vid you can see the fry rack as i run it now. I have added a 200-400l/hr adjustable internal filter and slowly raised the tank level to 30 cm water hight. The tanks and tub contain the folowing spawns(from bottom to top): tub = batch #3; lowest tank= batch #2; middle tank is batch #1b; top tank is batch #1a. Batch 1a and 1b are just devided between the two tanks, needless to say this was the largest batch of eggs but also the best quality fry. Probably this first spawn got the most benefit from not having to share BBS and such, i'm not exactly sure.

Anyway, thanks again and enjoy the vid!

Time for some pictures, most have a little wen by now, very cute fishies if i may say so myself. Excuse the dirty glass, i forgot to clean the outside of the tanks....

DSC_5884.jpg

DSC_5907.jpg

DSC_5910.jpg

DSC_5902.jpg

DSC_5882.jpg

DSC_5880.jpg

DSC_5893.jpg

DSC_5839.jpg

DSC_5870.jpg

DSC_5860.jpg

They are definitely not being underfed! :rofl  Wonderful looking batch.

They are amazing, just amazing.  Adorable! :wub:  Asking seriously - do you have any plans to ship them to the US?

They're wonderful!! :wub:

They are amazing, just amazing.  Adorable! :wub:  Asking seriously - do you have any plans to ship them to the US?

No, the hobby for me is to breed GF and selling/shipping them would just distract from this part of my hobby. I do hope i can find a seller who will buy my surplus and is able to ship them internationally. Probably you do understand how time consuming it is to care for fry right?

Oh no, it is very much a zen thing, if a fry accidentally gets too much (dry) food it bottoms out for a while so i'm allways keeping an eye out for that. Feeding too little is very bad aswell, most defects in fry are caused by bad water quality or the wrong quality in food so youre allways trying to keep up with demand without ruining your waterquality. Very rewarding to see it working ok though and i love those cute sakura!

Get FancyBlackGold to drive a trunk load up north!

No, the hobby for me is to breed GF and selling/shipping them would just distract from this part of my hobby. I do hope i can find a seller who will buy my surplus and is able to ship them internationally. Probably you do understand how time consuming it is to care for fry right?

Oh definitely!  In some ways I would love to do what you are doing, but feel my small-town location would hurt me at re-homing time.  I would feel the need to school everyone on proper care, or have a stringent adoption process... 

Please do let us know if you find someone to partner with for that part.  :D

I agree with Kathleen - they're beautiful stock!

Breeding is something overwhelming and exciting to me in equal parts. I've not had any accidental spawns but a leeeeeetle part of me keeps hoping my fish will get frisky and give me the excuse to dive into that aspect of husbandry ;)

Edited by Arctic Mama

Get FancyBlackGold to drive a trunk load up north!

Would be fun to see some ending up all over the map!

Oh definitely!  In some ways I would love to do what you are doing, but feel my small-town location would hurt me at re-homing time.  I would feel the need to school everyone on proper care, or have a stringent adoption process... 

Please do let us know if you find someone to partner with for that part.  :D

Very understandable and i do agree, i still have the backup plan to just rent a big pond somewhere if i cant get these fish rehomed properly. I will let you know if international shipping becomes possible, but i doubt ill be able to for this spawn.

I agree with Kathleen - they're beautiful stock!

Breeding is something overwhelming and exciting to me in equal parts. I've not had any accidental spawns but a leeeeeetle part of me keeps hoping my fish will get frisky and give me the excuse to dive into that aspect of husbandry ;)

Hahaha, overwhelming for sure. In earlier posts i said i am allways planning ahead, this is vital to breeding because if you dont plan ahead you will end up being caught up in your usual husbandry routine so much you cannot keep up with the extra tasks like culling, changing/adding your setup, making arrangements for rehoming etcetera.

I was thinking the same thing.

:rofl

They look great.

Thanks Mr. Hyde.

This sunday's update!

And some more pics this sunday! Nice wen development this week, more pictures from batch #2 this time.

DSC_5953.jpg

DSC_5923.jpg

DSC_5956.jpg

DSC_5949.jpg

DSC_5934.jpg

DSC_5925.jpg

DSC_5919.jpg

DSC_5926.jpg

DSC_5929.jpg

DSC_5922.jpg

The cuteness has approached and surpassed overload levels. :heart

They are so adorable, and look very healthy! 

I love those big bellies, they look extremely healthy!

Thank you, very kind.

Feeding in this stage is difficult, feed too little and you will get many runts, feed too much and some will overeat(causing SB issues). Also a big body and gut will promote growth in growout fase.

In my experience (however limited), the fry that overeat will still have this SB issue when they get older. At this moment i'm losin 1-2 fry out of over 200 fry per week due to this overeating. A sad truth maybe, but if the tradeoff is having to cull many more stunted fish what would be the best option?

I am trying to select the best and the strongest in these, but sometimes it isnt as easy as it may seem. I am happy though that i am able to do this without commercial intent and because of that i can choose to just set a standard in this that is very high.

I have sold my surplus to a good LFS and final selections will have to be made in the next week or two, then growout fase..... #exited!

Some more pics, colours and shape seem to get more consistent, very active aswell!

20140728_1834500.jpg

20140728_1835250.jpg

20140728_1834550.jpg

20140728_1834590.jpg

20140728_1834090.jpg

20140728_1834050.jpg