Sign in to follow this  
Tuba Toothpaste

Is this normal for a pearlie?

Sorry it took so long to reply, I've had a busy day! So today I picked up some Melafix and some Triple Sulfa. How long should I use the epsom salts before I start thinking about antibiotics? And if I do end up using them, should I try the Melafix or the Sulfa first?

As, long as he is active, eating and no additional symptoms present, let's go for a few days with just the Epsom Salt and see if the sacs shrink.

The fish looks fine to me. It's tough to say from the pictures but unless there are other symptoms of swelling, they look like bubbles to me.

Update: I think the bubbles might be getting smaller? It's kind of hard to tell. I'll try to get some new pics and compare them to the old ones.

Update!

So yesterday I took a new pic of Renly (that's his name btw lol) and I compared it to the first pic and that made it clear that the bubbles had indeed shrunk. Then when I checked on him this morning, the bubbles were completely gone!!

Here's a pic I took yesterday:

AHzotBz.jpg

And here's the one I took this morning:

NAiXeZo.jpg

Do you think it's safe to call him cured yet? Should I stop using the Epsom salts now?

Edited by Tuba Toothpaste

Oh nooo! Now Renly has a whole new problem! D:

When I got home I saw that Renly got his little arm (pectoral fin?) stuck in the filter intake thing and he was stuck! I helped him get free but now his arm and some of his side is kind of beat up, and he's swimming a bit wobbly. :((((

What should I do??

Put him in an unfiltered QT with an airstone.  Can you please post a pic? 

Put him in an unfiltered QT with an airstone. Can you please post a pic?

He's stuck floating on his side now. :(

It's really hard to tell in pictures, but in person you can see his fin that was stuck looks kind of wrinkled now, and he has a bump on his shoulder area that was pushed up against the filter intake. A couple of scales in that area look loose too.

rY80WVJ.jpg

For now I unplugged the filter and added some prime to the tank. Is there anything I can do to help his injuries?

Welp I've got to head to bed soon. Renly is still floating on his side. I have the air stone going in the tank at the moment, and the filter is off. I guess I'll leave him alone for now. If anybody has any suggestions of anything else I could do for him I'd really appreciate it. I'll check back on this thread in the morning.

I would leave him as he is.  If he wasn't just getting over the eye thing I would suggest putting some salt in the water.  Let's see how he is in the  morning.  :D

Hang in there.  :hug

He's swimming again, but he's still struggling a bit. I think the water got a little cloudy overnight with the filter being off. I'll do a water change this morning. Should I use any melafix or anything?

Sure, you could do some Melafix.  :D

So Renly is swimming much better today, but the bump on his side that I mentioned it much bigger today. It looks like a big bubble now. Also he has a bubble sac back under his left eye and he has little red spots on much of the left side of his body (the side that was stuck).

y63XUwY.jpg

iPDbjzP.jpg

Should I do more Epsom salts along with the melafix since that helped the eye bubbles last time?

Have you been doing the Epsom Salt this whole time or was it interrupted?

Have you been doing the Epsom Salt this whole time or was it interrupted?

I stopped doing the Epsom salts when th eye bubbles went away the first time, but now one of the bubbles is back.

Okay, I feel like this treatment got off track somewhere.  Let's get the fish back on Epsom and keep it on Epsom until we decide it's cured.  What else is in the water right now?  Melafix?

Okay, I feel like this treatment got off track somewhere. Let's get the fish back on Epsom and keep it on Epsom until we decide it's cured. What else is in the water right now? Melafix?

Yes, melafix and prime.

Okay, I feel like this treatment got off track somewhere. Let's get the fish back on Epsom and keep it on Epsom until we decide it's cured. What else is in the water right now? Melafix?

Yes, melafix and prime.

Okay, let's see if the Epsom draws out the fluid again.  The Melafix might be strong enough if there is an external bacterial infection, but we may need to go with something stronger if this persists.

The bubbles are still there, but last time I did the epsom salts it only took a couple of days for the eye bubbles to go away so I'm not too worried.

Renly is still swimming pretty good, so do you think I should try turning the filter back on as long as long as I have a piece of pantyhose over the filter intake?

Is he still in the QT tank? If so, how many gallons is it? Are you doing daily water changes ?

Is he still in the QT tank? If so, how many gallons is it? Are you doing daily water changes ?

Yes and yes. The QT tank is 10g.

I don't the filter is necessary as the goal is not to cycle the qt tank. I would just continue with the airstone and water changes.

It should burst on its own with time. :)