Sign in to follow this  
Tuba Toothpaste

Is this normal for a pearlie?

Hi, sorry if this is the wrong forum for this, I couldn't think of the best place to put this. I just have a quick question. I got this baby Pearlscale a few weeks ago, and he has always had that squishy part on the top of his head. But today I noticed he has little squishy bubbles under his eyes now too. Is this normal for a pearlie? Or is it some mutation or a symptom of disease?

http://i.imgur.com/uZJuhSQ.jpg

Hi, sorry if this is the wrong forum for this, I couldn't think of the best place to put this. I just have a quick question. I got this baby Pearlscale a few weeks ago, and he has always had that squishy part on the top of his head. But today I noticed he has little squishy bubbles under his eyes now too. Is this normal for a pearlie? Or is it some mutation or a symptom of disease?

No, it looks like fluid accumulation.  Is it just in one eye?  If so, try adding Epsom Salt (magnesium sulfate) at 1/4 Teaspoon per 10 gallons of water.  If in both eyes, QT him, add the Epsom Salt and then we may need to go with antibiotics.

Could you get front view picture so we can see the eyes better?

What a little cutie. Looks like my orange Crowned Pearlscale. (without the eye fluid) I hope your fish will be okay once you start Epsom salt.

Could you get front view picture so we can see the eyes better?

Sorry it's a bit blurry, he moves around so much.

eIzYzQj.jpg

No, it looks like fluid accumulation. Is it just in one eye? If so, try adding Epsom Salt (magnesium sulfate) at 1/4 Teaspoon per 10 gallons of water. If in both eyes, QT him, add the Epsom Salt and then we may need to go with antibiotics.
It's both eyes. Thanks for the help! What kind of antibiotics should I get? And what is fluid accumulation anyway? Is it something that's easy to fix?

What a little cutie. Looks like my orange Crowned Pearlscale. (without the eye fluid) I hope your fish will be okay once you start Epsom salt.

Thanks!

No, it looks like fluid accumulation. Is it just in one eye? If so, try adding Epsom Salt (magnesium sulfate) at 1/4 Teaspoon per 10 gallons of water. If in both eyes, QT him, add the Epsom Salt and then we may need to go with antibiotics.
It's both eyes. Thanks for the help! What kind of antibiotics should I get? And what is fluid accumulation anyway? Is it something that's easy to fix?

Let's get the Epsom started immediately.  Fluid can accumulate due to trauma to the eye or a bacterial infection.  If the fish is presenting this on both eyes, it is usually a bacterial infection.  There is also a rare possibility that this a genetic "frog eye" trait developing late.  I would try Epsom salt first and see if the swelling goes down before trying antibiotics.  The other mild treatment option would be Melafix.

Please also watch out for excessive bloating or pineconed scales.  This is sometimes hard to see on pearlscales, but often accompanies eye symptoms such as this.

Do you have any antibiotics on hand should we choose to go that route?

Would you please fill out the D/D form?

Good idea, Sharon. I moved this thread to D&D and forgot about the form. Sorry, multi-tasking today.

Let's get the Epsom started immediately. Fluid can accumulate due to trauma to the eye or a bacterial infection. If the fish is presenting this on both eyes, it is usually a bacterial infection. There is also a rare possibility that this a genetic "frog eye" trait developing late. I would try Epsom salt first and see if the swelling goes down before trying antibiotics. The other mild treatment option would be Melafix.

Please also watch out for excessive bloating or pineconed scales. This is sometimes hard to see on pearlscales, but often accompanies eye symptoms such as this.

Do you have any antibiotics on hand should we choose to go that route?

I dont think he's pineconing, but like you said its kind of hard to tell. I'll keep an eye on him and see if his scales look any different.

I thought I had a tiny bit of metro left but I can't seem to find the bottle anywhere so I guess not. I'll stop by my LFS tomorrow to see what they have. I just moved to a new area so I'm not sure if this store will have it or not.

In the meantime, how much epsom should I dose?

Nvm, I see now where you said 1/4 tsp per 10 gallons. Thanks! I'll update tomorrow. :)

Edited by Tuba Toothpaste

I did find a picture of a Frog Head with pearlscales in one of my Chinese books:

20141208_211207.jpg

If your fish does indeed turn out to be one of these rare fish, that is very cool.  This is why I wanted to just try Epsom to see if the sacs would go away, rather than an antibiotic :)

I did find a picture of a Frog Head with pearlscales in one of my Chinese books:

20141208_211207.jpg

If your fish does indeed turn out to be one of these rare fish, that is very cool. This is why I wanted to just try Epsom to see if the sacs would go away, rather than an antibiotic :)

Ok, I'll try the epsom salts first and see if they do anything. I think I'll go ahead and pick up some antibiotics just in case I'll need them later. If anything it would probably be good to have them on hand.

It is good to have antibiotics on hand.  I would look for metronidazole for sure (this one can be tricky to find as the big box stores don't carry them.  Check a locally owned pet store or order online).  I would also get triple sulfa and/or kanamycin.

Also, please fill out the form as Sharon requested.  :D

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level: 0
    • * Nitrite Level: 0
    • * Nitrate level: 10ish
    • * Ammonia Level: 0
    • * Nitrite Level: 0
    • * Nitrate level: 0
    • * Ph Level, Tank: 8
    • * Ph Level, Tap : 7; GH: 20ish
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used: Marineland strips
      • * Water temperature?: 68
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?: 10g (QT tank) about 3 weeks now
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?: Marineland 30 or something I think? 
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?: 2x a week about 50% or more
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?: 2 or 3 days ago, 50%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?: 1 fish, 1.5-2 inches maybe?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?: Nothing, I have well water so I don't use dechlorinator
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?: gel food (tithra's recipe) once a day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?: nope
  • * Any medications added to the tank?: not besides the epsom salt I added last night
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment: nothing so far
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?: nothing besides the eye fluid sacs
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.: nope, he acts normal

Sorry it took so long to reply, I've had a busy day! So today I picked up some Melafix and some Triple Sulfa. How long should I use the epsom salts before I start thinking about antibiotics? And if I do end up using them, should I try the Melafix or the Sulfa first?

Do you age your water before doing a water change? I notice a big ph difference between tap and tank. I don't know if a big difference in ph will cause the growth of fluid sacs under the eyes, but I thought I would ask.

Edited by LisaCGold

Do you age your water before doing a water change? I notice a big ph difference between tap and tank. I don't know if a big difference in ph will cause the growth of fluid sacs under the eyes, but I thought I would ask.

No not really, I just pour it from the tap into the tank.

Okay, let's see what the moderators have to say about this and whether it relates to the fluid sacs in any way.

In any case, you'll want to raise the ph before putting the water into the tank. What is the kh of your water? Letting the water stand overnight with an air stone will result in the ph naturally rising. Is this convenient for you to do? The objective is to get the ph difference within 0.5. If it is not convenient, there are other ways to do this. Fantailfan1 is the expert on these ways with a ph that naturally rises over time.

Edited by LisaCGold

The other thing you can do is add the fresh water gradually.  Since you are replacing 5 gallons of water, you can put the bucket on a stool to get it higher than the tank and siphon the water into the tank through 1/4 inch tubing.  This way any pH change will be gradual.

Okay, let's see what the moderators have to say about this and whether it relates to the fluid sacs in any way.

In any case, you'll want to raise the ph before putting the water into the tank. What is the kh of your water? Letting the water stand overnight with an air stone will result in the ph naturally rising. Is this convenient for you to do? The objective is to get the ph difference within 0.5. If it is not convenient, there are other ways to do this. Fantailfan1 is the expert on these ways with a ph that naturally rises over time.

The test strips I have do have kh on them, but I was having trouble matching the colors on the chart....the color that the strip turned didn't look like any of the ones on the chart. Maybe I should look for a liquid kh test instead.

It wouldn't be inconvenient for me to let the water sit overnight. If you think that will help, I can definitely start doing that.

Most of us use a liquid test kit. It seems the strips are not as reliable. You might want to consider getting the API Master Test kit and the additional liquid API test kit for gh and kh.

When you let the water with air stone stand overnight, test ph at the very beginning and then test after 12 hours or so. Let us know how that goes.

Moderators, could a ph difference of this kind relate in any way to the fluid sacs around the eyes?

Edited by LisaCGold

I don't think so. If the pH is a test strip, I dare say the pH reading isn't accurate . . . . .

I don't think so. If the pH is a test strip, I dare say the pH reading isn't accurate . . . . .

I don't think the pH has anything to do with the eye sacs.