Sign in to follow this  
kiwikacey

Horniest fish ever?

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure where the right place is to put this!! So if a mod thinks this board is wrong, please feel free to move the post elsewhere :) 

Don't worry, no one else is sick, I hope!!

I've attached a recent photo of Mr. B. I realized when I took it that it looks like his breeding stars have expanded...everywhere. But...they don't do that, right? He's not showing any symptoms of ich - no itching, darting, loss of appetite, anything. His behavior hasn't changed at all. No white dots on any of his fins, just on the scales and front rays of his pectorals. None of the other fish in the tank have anything like this going on, but Mr. B is always establishing his territory and has pretty much deemed himself king of the tank. I have 3 males besides him in there, one female (but that's Dorito...so no breeding there) 

What do you think? Ich, or a need for some booty?

ib2ohj26IwHOPr.jpg

it is not uncommon that males will have breeding stars on parts of their body as well as in all the usual places. he's just a male fish being a male fish.. increased breeding stars does not bring more desire.. they just produce more milt.

and of course, this is well noted on a black fish, since the white on black background is very visible, as you can see for yourself :)

Thanks, Helen!!! I was getting all worried after Speckle got so sick. It just looks like Mr. B wants to make sure everyone knows he's the big man of the tank ;) 

In any case, I'm going to make absolutely certain that whatever fish I decide to add to the tank, in Speckle's place, will be female. 

:rofl first off I giggled at the title then I giggled that your fish is called Mr B just like Dan in that cold western state :ehh then I :tomuch: at your phrase " need for some :booty " :teehee

He's just feeling frisky is all :goldfish::ehh

Haha!! Glad I could bring some smiles!!  :nana

Watch out ladies...Mr. B is on the prowl  :ehh  :ehh  :ehh  :ehh

:rofl

:rofl

I think I have also read somewhere that the more breeding stars are visible, the higher the fish is in the boys' pecking order. Now we know who your boss-man is!

Edited by ChelseaM

Chelsea, I think that would be interesting to collect data on from members here :)

But haha. Best title ever.

I think I have also read somewhere that the more breeding stars are visible, the higher the fish is in the boys' pecking order. Now we know who your boss-man is!

I find this very interesting! I definitely think he's the boss-man, and he totally knows it. When Clem (my fantail) sexually matured I thought I was going to have to give one of them away, because Mr. B was tearing him up. Then, they established something in their fish-way and they've been fine ever since. But he's always the first to the food, the first to the booty (when Speckle was alive)...if he's not first, he fights the other fish. 

This would be interesting data to collect, I agree!

:o I've never seen goldfish fight :( makes me Sadz

:o I've never seen goldfish fight :( makes me Sadz

My tank is a sausage fest (lol) so unfortunately I can't say the same. They don't fight any more, but there was a time where a few males came into sexual maturity at the same time and that was rough. 

I'd really like if you PMed me the name :)

Sorry, the name of what? 

Sorry, the name of what?

You said you couldn't say the name cuz it was a sausage fest. That's the name i want :P

Sorry, the name of what?
You said you couldn't say the name cuz it was a sausage fest. That's the name i want :P
I think he said I can't say the same.. :teehee

Sorry, the name of what?
I think Lacey said can't say the same :teehee

This has been a funny read of posts. hehehe

Wow! Look at all those breeding stars. He's a very handsome fish and is definitely showing you he's a male. hehehe

Sorry, the name of what?
I think Lacey said can't say the same :teehee

Haha! Yup, I said the same :) I wish I had another female in there!

:hmm I'm very confused :rofl

:hmm I'm very confused :rofl

It's a sausage fest in my tank, because there are so many males!!! That's all I mean...now I'm confused lol